Cole Irvin to start tomorrow

accinfo

Really doesn't make sense not to option Smith. You're in a bullpen game/spot starter today against a heavy RHH lineup and Hyde has been using the bullpen like a drunken monkey flinging poo. Cano isn't going to be able to be used, Burch has been way overused, Tate was super fresh, why on Earth is Burch Smith clogging this bullpen right now?

Suprised they sent Tate down since he can give you 2 innings today where the other guys probably can't.  They should have used Tate instead of Smith if they were gonna send them down.  Maybe because they had to use everyone else it changed there thinking.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Smith has option left. 

Smith has no options, but its 6 one way, half a dozen the other. IF you DFA him after last night, he clears waivers, becomes FA, signs Minor League Contract with somebody most likely  O's

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Really doesn't make sense not to option Smith. You're in a bullpen game/spot starter today against a heavy RHH lineup and Hyde has been using the bullpen like a drunken monkey flinging poo. Cano isn't going to be able to be used, Burch has been way overused, Tate was super fresh, why on Earth is Burch Smith clogging this bullpen right now?

I don't think he has an option left.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Suprised they sent Tate down since he can give you 2 innings today where the other guys probably can't.  They should have used Tate instead of Smith if they were gonna send them down.  Maybe because they had to use everyone else it changed there thinking.  

It was an irresponsible use of the pen, tbh. You got 6 out of Kremer. It was a 6 run game. There were some well rested guys. Perez made quasi-sense since he last pitched on the 18th and 15th before that, but Burch Smith was reckless. That's his 4 appearance in 6 games, with 3 of his appearances coming in back-to-back-to-back appearances. He's also been pitching poorly as of late allowing runs in 3 out of his previous 4 outings (now 4 out of 5). It seems he could use some rest.

Somehow Hyde managed to burn Perez, Cano, Smith, and Kimbrel last night which just seems insane to me.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well it makes sense not to option him, because he has no options,but they could DFA him and probally serve the same purpose. ( no claim, elects FA signs  minor league contract with O's

Just now, Safelykept said:

Well it makes sense not to option him, because he has no options,but they could DFA him and probally serve the same purpose. ( no claim, elects FA signs  minor league contract with O's

Where are you seeing that he has no options? 

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

It was an irresponsible use of the pen, tbh. You got 6 out of Kremer. It was a 6 run game. There were some well rested guys. Perez made quasi-sense since he last pitched on the 18th and 15th before that, but Burch Smith was reckless. That's his 4 appearance in 6 games, with 3 of his appearances coming in back-to-back-to-back appearances. He's also been pitching poorly as of late allowing runs in 3 out of his previous 4 outings (now 4 out of 5). It seems he could use some rest.

Somehow Hyde managed to burn Perez, Cano, Smith, and Kimbrel last night which just seems insane to me.

He burnt threw them because Smith was so bad and had to use Cano as well.  If  Smith does even decent they use just Perez, Smith and Kimbrel and it looks much better.  

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Where are you seeing that he has no options? 

His Milb page shows every transaction Was optioned 4 times 2013,14,15 and 2019( not sure how he was optioned 4 times) maybe had something to do with his TJ surgery, but in any case has not been optioned since 2019. Hes been DFA like 5 times since 2019. But were getting off youre post why is he still here other than Tate,because even though you cant pitch him today they trust him more than Tate. When Akin comes back hes the next roster move.

I don't think Cole Irvin will last four innings. This is a hail mary start for Irvin, and for him, a possible career start.But based on what I have seen and saw, he simply doesn't have it any more. I'm rooting for him. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Last night the NY TV guys were unabashedly complaining about Boone’s managing decisions(how refreshing!) one of which was that Boone used every one of his relievers. All of them. The last guy, Tonkin, threw about 25 pitches. That means the Yankees are gonna be hoping for a long outing from Cortes, who hasn’t been his best lately.

I actually think Boone had his hands pretty much tied. When your starter goes down with injury after 3+ innings, and the game goes 12 innings, burning the whole pen is kind of a given.

But oh well!

11 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Last night the NY TV guys were unabashedly complaining about Boone’s managing decisions(how refreshing!) one of which was that Boone used every one of his relievers. All of them. The last guy, Tonkin, threw about 25 pitches. That means the Yankees are gonna be hoping for a long outing from Cortes, who hasn’t been his best lately.

I actually think Boone had his hands pretty much tied. When your starter goes down with injury after 3+ innings, and the game goes 12 innings, burning the whole pen is kind of a given.

But oh well!

Did they bring up anyone?