We're going to be okay.

interloper

We’re gonna be ok… We just need to….

- get through the brutal 17 games in 17 days June schedule 

- get to the all star break

- get to the trade deadline and get reinforcements 

- get some of the injured guys back

- back into the playoffs and get hot

So far we’re 0/3 with 4 as a huge  question mark. I’m not betting on us being ok.

I've never been really sure what "ok" means in this thread title. 

If we lose the division and then lose in the wild card round, I'm sure people will be coming back here to say "See, we were never going to be ok."

But I'm not sure what would make people come back here to say "See, we were ok after all." Would winning the division do it? Getting a WC but advancing a round to the ALDS and putting up a better fight there than last year? Or does it take an ALCS berth or better to become ok? 

4 minutes ago, terpoh said:

We’re gonna be ok… We just need to….

- get through the brutal 17 games in 17 days June schedule 

- get to the all star break

- get to the trade deadline and get reinforcements 

- get some of the injured guys back

- back into the playoffs and get hot

So far we’re 0/3 with 4 as a huge  question mark. I’m not betting on us being ok.

What? We are a half game from being the #1 seed in the AL despite losing more than half our rotation for a large portion of the year and having multiple offensive injuries as well. Even if we are just in a wild card spot (home field didn’t exactly mean a lot last year. Or the bye), we could/should get as many as 6 regulars back by the playoffs (mounty, westburg, urias, Grayson, Coulombe and Webb). We are in absolutely fine shape. Could it be better? Sure. But could it be soooooo much worse given how crushed we’ve been by injuries? Definitely. Both the rangers and the diamondbacks showed last year it’s about getting in and getting hot (and healthy) at the right time. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I've never been really sure what "ok" means in this thread title. 

If we lose the division and then lose in the wild card round, I'm sure people will be coming back here to say "See, we were never going to be ok."

But I'm not sure what would make people come back here to say "See, we were ok after all." Would winning the division do it? Getting a WC but advancing a round to the ALDS and putting up a better fight there than last year? Or does it take an ALCS berth or better to become ok? 

I am pretty sure this post was posted right after a loss and people saying we are done and to put a fork in our season that we wouldn’t make the playoffs.  I think our lead for last playoff spot was down to 3.5 or 4.5 at the time over the Red Sox.  So I took at as relax we are still gonna get into the playoffs but maybe he meant something else.  

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:For the life of me I'd like to know why both Holliday and Mayo have been able to hit in AAA and look absolutely soul crushingly bad at the major league level. 

I think the start of a young player is huge for guys coming up in the majors especially the younger talented ones.  This is the first time some of them have struggled and had real pressure on them being brought up in a pennant race.  Both Mayo and Holliday are Hugh school picks and never been in a huge stage compared to say Dylan Crews another young player breaking in.  Crews played for LSU in the Sec where there was huge crowds and pressure in weekend series there then they made a run through the playoffs and to the College World Series facing some of the best pitching prospects in the game.  In Crews’s case he even faced Skeenes in an inter squad game.  So he was facing top talent and in a much bigger stage than even minor league baseball.  Holliday and Mayo were playing against an 16-18 year old computer nerd in high school who through 80 mph.  Yes they played some games in travel ball and showcases against better high school kids but still not same then playing in college baseball playoff tournaments and World Series type games.  Henderson seemed to have similar struggles.  The two guys that seemed to adjust better Rutschman and Westburg played college ball and major conferences along with Super regionals atmosphere.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

We're not going to be okay.  

I mean, we're going to be able to ride the wave of a strong first half into the playoffs and we'll probably get bounced in the first round.

Simply put, the amount of injuries have been entirely too much to overcome.  

Super valid points though I think the hitting has been the issue more than the pitching which has amounted for the majority of the injuries.

46 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Super valid points though I think the hitting has been the issue more than the pitching which has amounted for the majority of the injuries.

The offense has absolutely been the worse issue lately and it's not particularly close.

29 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Feels like he's been gone for longer than that.  But that's terrible.  

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Wesburg coming back at all is a little better than 50-50, and if he does, it's a lot to ask that he gets red hot with a week to go in the regular season.

I'll be glad to see him back but I agree it's a lot to ask that he picks up where he left off with the bat after that injury and the time off.

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday replacing Mateo has been a downgrade as well. Offensively and defensively. Just reality. 

We miss those two RH bats and their defense. 

The other thing they are missing is Burnes...where is the "Ace"?  

His sudden mediocrity and inability to keep runners off base and control the run game have been dissapointing and sure to be exploited the rest of the way.

This scares me more than anything else.