Terry Crowley at today's Orioles hall of fame lunch

baloriole4

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Kind of an odd axe to grind if true. And I don't see what evidence he could possibly have that isn't in the public domain.

I imagine he still has contacts in the game.

As for an axe to grind?  Lots of folks are still pretty pissed off about the whole thing, I can see someone being annoyed that someone that they know (think) was involved got away clean.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I imagine he still has contacts in the game.

As for an axe to grind?  Lots of folks are still pretty pissed off about the whole thing, I can see someone being annoyed that someone that they know (think) was involved got away clean.

He has the same contacts as anyone around the game. 

I dunno, seems like a really odd thing to care so much about that he would talk about it in his OHOF induction. That's something you do if Elias banged his daughter or something on that level. Maybe it was just a joke that didn't land?

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has the same contacts as anyone around the game. 

I dunno, seems like a really odd thing to care so much about that he would talk about it in his OHOF induction. That's something you do if Elias banged his daughter or something on that level. Maybe it was just a joke that didn't land?

It's very possible that other folks have heard things and just didn't say anything. 

MLB was pretty obviously trying to get over the whole thing as quickly and quietly as possible.

I wouldn't have what Crowley did.

Edited by Can_of_corn

21 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Sorry, I'm going off topic here. The TV. What year was it made? 

I’d guess it’s 15 years old?  Don’t really remember.  Back when 42” was considered big. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t care what Crowley thinks thinks about Elias.  It’s gross to raise it in this setting.   

100%

It's all context. You're being honored by the Orioles. Not the place to throw out innuendo about the current Orioles GM. 

7 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

100%

It's all context. You're being honored by the Orioles. Not the place to throw out innuendo about the current Orioles GM. 

Technically, it’s a private group called Orioles Advocates which selects the Hall of Fame members and runs the luncheon.  But obviously the Orioles are involved.  

Edited by Frobby

Mike Elias cleaned house, some initially, but there were a lot of people let go after his first season in-charge, in the front office and player development side.  

For better or for worse, a lot of those people were hired by Peter Angelos and kept their jobs through multiple regimes…..usually because they were part of the old “Orioles Way” with their qualifications sometimes dubious.  At the very least, many of these people were given a year to see if they would be able to acclimate to the new way of doing business.  The highest profile ones were Scott McGregor being reassigned immediately, and Surhoff removed as a consultant after a year (I think)

Many of these people were likely around when Crowley was coaching for us, and it’s entirely possible that Crowley is upset that they lost their job when Elias “landed” here in the wake of the Astros stuff and showed up with the Sigbot and proceeded to remake a dinosaur organization into one that’s on the cutting edge of analytics, and has a strong scouting and development system now.  

So a giant nothing-burger for me, but I definitely think Crowley is upset at some of his friends for losing their jobs.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's kinda gross to throw that type of speculation out there, but you be you.

Wrong place, wrong time?  What other time is he likely to have?  How often does he get a mike and an audience?

I'd be shocked to find out Elias wasn't at the very least aware of what was going on.  If folks are going to get upset about it, they should be willing to accept that possibility.

You’re way off base. He was being inducted into to the Orioles HOF. it’s a celebration of his and Markakis’ careers and their meaning to the orioles. If he made those comments, then he’s pretty messed up IMO. It’s a Nonsensical  comment p make at an Orioles HOF induction. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

So Crowley shows up for today’s induction wearing what appears to be a white undershirt.   Then, instead of having the inductees make acceptance speeches, they play excerpts from what they said at the luncheon.  Afraid of what Crowley might say in front of a stadium full of people?   They’ve always done live speeches before so far as I know. 

Looked like a “Designer” brand white undershirt to me. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

You’re way off base. He was being inducted into to the Orioles HOF. it’s a celebration of his and Markakis’ careers and their meaning to the orioles. If he made those comments, then he’s pretty messed up IMO. It’s a Nonsensical  comment p make at an Orioles HOF induction. 

I can see it being tasteless (and I don't disagree) but nonsensical?

You got the right to be tasteless.

It was his moment and he chose to express himself at a forum and took it.

I wouldn't have said it, but to level an accusation of senility?

I'm older than The Crow. If that's what he said in that forum, there is no excuse. Actually, I believe there is no excuse for poor behavior - though the wife will tell you I haven't always followed that creed. And, I'm pretty sure Elias won't lose any sleep over it.