Keeping John Means Y/N

HowAboutThat

In a recent thread, I mentioned that “we need to keep John Means.” I was utterly astonished that two members responded with the single question of “why?”
I can’t imagine not making every effort to retain him.

He is one of  only 17 LHSP FAs, he is the second youngest free agent left-handed pitchers available(Max Fried is about 6 months younger.) He’s not going to be expensive, and almost all the other available LHP FAs are either old, mediocre or wildly expensive…or various combinations of same.
When he hasn’t been injured, Means has been terrific. Yes, he’s been injured a LOT, but would you rather have Trevor Rogers?
Means has positive WAR despite throwing only 20 innings this season. 
If we hire him, knowing he won’t come back till August, he will be a very inexpensive insurance policy. If he’s unproductive, well, we’ve got all season to prepare for that, and if he’s productive, we’ve got another excellent pitcher for cheap.

This season he’s making under 3.4 mill and can’t expect much as a FA, so maybe a two year contract, for part of ‘25 and all of 26, and then back to FA at 34 if he’s good, and retirement with plenny o’ dough if he’s lousy.

But just letting him go would be the height of foolishness, especially after we’ve seen how little worthwhile pitching is available, and how bare is our own cupboard.

Bringing him back, injuries and all, is a total no-brainer.

What sayeth the crowd?

Edited by HowAboutThat
  • Upvote 2

• HowAboutThat changed the title to Keeping John Means Y/N

I think John Means has to be considered in context. If he is part of plan A or B then I think @Sports Guy has it right.  No. I just don’t know that Means has enough reliability to make the investment at any price. If he is part of a plan B/C/D where we lay out some money to keep our old friend but have little cost or expectation tied to the commitment, then I am completely on board. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No 

Obviously dependent on what he is willing to sign for.

But I think Cleveland is seeing with Boyd this year, that signing a guy who will miss a chunk of the year recovering from injury, to a speculative contract, can provide a boost to a team in a pennant race.   EVERYBODY has pitcher injuries, having a guy who has been kept in reserve and suddenly becomees available to pitch in August can be a big deal.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Depends on the money. 

Dude can’t stay healthy though. 

I'm with you. With the right terms I'd sign him. Is he due back before the end of 2025? If so, give him a 1 year deal with a club option. If he's effective pick up the option, if not decline it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I'm with you. With the right terms I'd sign him. Is he due back before the end of 2025? If so, give him a 1 year deal with a club option. If he's effective pick up the option, if not decline it.

Just need to block out those three weeks in July 2025 in which he's going to be healthy.  😉

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d love to have a healthy John Means back.  Is there such a thing as a healthy John Means, and if so, exactly when and for how long?

Aye, there’s the rub….for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause…

or injuries must give us pause…basically the same thing.

Still, I can’t imagine that, say, 2/10 wouldn’t be a worthwhile insurance policy. We’ve increasingly seen it, with Texas and Scherzer and Tyler Mahle, and other teams who are willing to take the risk.

With Means, the risk is very present, but so is the reward, and his upside makes it worthwhile, so long as his demands aren’t unreasonable, and given his history, there’s no reason to expect they would be.

Besides, if the Os don’t do it, someone will.

Even if Elias and Rubinstein get together and DO sign a fine starter, it will only be one when we need several, and Means would be cheap, a solid starter arriving at trade deadline time, without any project payment attached.

Edited by HowAboutThat