Mayo coming back up

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Which peers?

I didn't want to say he wasn't athletic, he's a professional baseball player, he's way more athletic than I am.  Is he athletic compared to other position players at the ML level?  I've not heard that he is.  What I have heard positive about him athletically is that he's got a great arm.  That's it.

What does a first baseman have to do that Mayo does poorly?

Stretch, catch, including managing awkward throws in the dirt, and what else exactly? Reflexes, throwing quick and accurate are skills for any position. What is unique to 1B that Mayo can’t do? And if he can’t play first, where the job is stand and catch, where CAN he play?

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Mountcastle is/was a much better athlete and his time in the OF was an abject failure.

Mountcastle had no feel for the outfield. He took terrible routes, showed no knack for playing the ball off the wall and didn’t know which base to throw the ball to. Acting like it was an athleticism thing is disingenuous.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't want to say he wasn't athletic, he's a professional baseball player, he's way more athletic than I am.  Is he athletic compared to other position players at the ML level?  I've not heard that he is.  What I have heard positive about him athletically is that he's got a great arm.  That's it.

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 65 | Run: 40 | Arm: 70 | Field: 45 

"He moves well for his size, but the potential of him outgrowing third..."

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/orioles/coby-mayo-691723

Hit: 45/55, Game Power: 50/60, Raw Power: 60/70, Run: 45/40, Defense: 40/45

"Listed at 6-5, 230 the concern remains whether he will eventually end up too big to play an effective 3B, but for now, he’s shown enough improvements that he can play 3B effectively if a team is going to live with a few more errors then some would like. In his limited play at first base, Mayo took well to the position and looks to be a legitimate option there, though he would waste his plus plus arm. 

He’s an average to slightly below average runner so he’s not base clogger, but he will slow with age due to his size. He’s athletic enough and moves well once he get going."

https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/16/orioles-2023-3-prospect-coby-mayo-3b/

I don't think the athleticism is the question. He's a 40-45 runner. That is average to slightly below average. Is he faster or more nimble than Santander or O'Hearn? I don't know. Given the fact that 3B seems to have a very good young player as the incumbent and Mayo appears to have an arm that could be quite a weapon in the OF, can the O's live with a little less foot speed in RF? I think it's worth finding out if he can play there. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I don't think the athleticism is the question. He's a 40-45 runner. That is average to slightly below average. Is he faster or more nimble than Santander or O'Hearn? I don't know. Given the fact that 3B seems to have a very good young player as the incumbent and Mayo appears to have an arm that could be quite a weapon in the OF, can the O's live with a little less foot speed in RF? I think it's worth finding out if he can play there. 

I would think that speed grades would be the most accurate evaluation.

I've got a report on Westburg in front of me that lists him as a 50 runner.

That same source had Henderson as a 55 runner.

Statcast has Westburg as being faster.

I'm going to wait until I can see him play more often and Statcast has more data before developing an opinion.

I do think he should have been playing more in RF.

20 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

What does a first baseman have to do that Mayo does poorly?

Stretch, catch, including managing awkward throws in the dirt, and what else exactly? Reflexes, throwing quick and accurate are skills for any position. What is unique to 1B that Mayo can’t do? And if he can’t play first, where the job is stand and catch, where CAN he play?

I’ve never watched him play a single inning at Norfolk, but I can still say with some certainty that you can’t put him at 1B during a pennant race.

He had 6 errors there in 172 innings. That’s about 1/8 of a full 162-game season. Which means that he was on a pace for about 48 errors

The most errors any player in modern history has ever had at 1B in one season is 29 errors (Dick Stuart in 1963). 

He’s not even close to being useable there at this point. Whether he can get there is another question. But you can’t put him there right now, unless you’re actively courting disaster.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Well time for Mayo to step up! Another one down! unreal!

I think you pencil in Mayo at 3B tomorrow with Urias hurt. Maybe playing in the thin air at Coors Field Mayo will luck into his first career home run. Then the Orioles play the White Sox an absolutely terrible team.

If Mayo is ever going to get into a groove now is looking good. 

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Great. Now we have to hear more whining about how bad Mayo’s defense is. 

Maybe not.   Who’s going to get the majority of 3B starts, Emmanuel Rivera or Mayo?