Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!! (9/18: Kimbrel DFA'd, Baker recalled)

Wavetrapper

I always pat myself on the back for all the times I was right, so it's only fair I admit when I was wrong. I liked the signing of Craig Kimbrel and for half a season it looked like it was good. Then the wheels came off the rails, and now I have to admit that my belief in the player was wrong. He's just at a point when father time has come to collect his dues. It happens to the best of athletes.

28 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I always pat myself on the back for all the times I was right, so it's only fair I admit when I was wrong. I liked the signing of Craig Kimbrel and for half a season it looked like it was good. Then the wheels came off the rails, and now I have to admit that my belief in the player was wrong. He's just at a point when father time has come to collect his dues. It happens to the best of athletes.

I thought it was a good signing. He pitched like an All Star in the first half. The fall off the cliff was extreme, though looking at it from 30,000 feet not totally unexpected. 

I'm ready for the Mountain to return in 2025. Hope he doesn't have any setback.

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

Speaking of technical questions, and obviously this will NOT happen but I am interested in how the technicalities work:   we are still responsible for the $1M buyout for not exercising the $13M team option.   So does that mean we could in theory exercise the $13M option and bring him back next year even though we DFA'd him?   Say he has a bionic arm replacement in October and we gave him a tryout and decide we want him back in 2025 for $13 million.

No, It is my understanding that he is now a FA. Any team that picks him up is on the hook for prorated minimum this year only. The O's owe him the buy out. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't disagree necessarily; I was just saying that losing Santander is losing one of the more productive bats in what has been for a while now a pretty bad lineup, at the end of the day, regardless of where he's batting.
    • Possibility sure, but we can't go into next year expecting that, based on what we've seen.  If we had seen 'normal' rookie struggles, maybe you count on progression.  But what we've seen (and I know, for Mayo its still a SSS), has been so bad, its alarming.  Like the dude can't OPS .300.  He's hitting like a pitcher.
    • Not suggesting he doesn't matter at all.  Just saying his presence (or lack thereof) alone can't explain the extremity of the drop off.  The real issue is that Holliday has been putrid, Mayo looks even worse somehow, Cowser better than that but not good lately, Rutsch of course has been awful.  That's the big one for next year - what version of Adley are we going to get?  He's been bad enough, for long enough, to make that a more fair question than I would have thought. In my head we're struggling because of players like Jimenez, Soto, Rivera, Slater in the lineup regularly.  But then I see lineups like today, and that really isn't the case nearly as often as I'm thinking.  Its worrisome.  We've basically cast off (due to injury/trade) the regular Hangout castoff list - Hays, Urias, Mateo, even Mountcastle to some degree - and for the most part replaced them w/ the players we wanted to replace them - Cowser, Mayo, Holliday - and things have gotten much much worse.
    • Santander is to hot and cold to be a legit middle of the order hitter for a WS quality team.  If he was a #5 or #6 hitter in the lineup then you have something.  You need Adley to get back to Adley and you need one more complete hitter which to me means a .350 OBP and a 25+ HR guy.  That would take the pressure off everyone and make the lineup much deeper.   
    • They also have a 235 BABiP in that time frame…which is way below average and 16 points less than the 29th ranked team. They have just had a lot of bad luck in the second half of this season.
    • Those teams are struggling as well, no doubt.  But in the last 12 games, they have scored 53 and 52 runs respectively while we have scored 24 runs, which is 18 fewer than the Cardinals in 29th place at 42 runs.  So other teams may be having challenges, but no team has put as much pressure on their pitching staff as we have with an offense that has completely fallen apart. I've been following the Os for 40 years, and I have never seen an offense struggle this much just to plate a few runs.  Even our awful teams could hang 8 spots on other teams down the stretch every once in awhile. 
    • Mayo definitely is a possibility…as is Basallo.    Im not worried about this yet.  I do think a year or 2 from now this could be on the shopping list. But I won’t be upset if we sign Soto. 😁
  • Popular Contributors