Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!!

Wavetrapper

6 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I appreciate the comment, but the fact is… Man, Zach Eflin is fat… Anyway, a reliever has to be completely dominant all the time because he only pitches about 60-70 innings a year. I just don’t think he’s got that long period of dominance that makes him Hall worthy. I don’t think he’ll get in, but he may stay on the ballot for a couple years.

You’ve gotta go back and look at his career. He was utterly dominant. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’ve gotta go back and look at his career. He was utterly dominant. 

For a time. Was it long enough? Did he hang on for those few extra saves long enough to damage his legacy?

I guess we’ll find out five years after October 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he very much wants to finish higher on the save list and will hang around a bit more.

I agree he is probably on a major league roster to start next season. But I don’t think he will be on a major league roster in say late July. I think he’s toast and he’s likely to be on a relatively cheap deal next year so therefore easier to just release. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree he is probably on a major league roster to start next season. But I don’t think he will be on a major league roster in say late July. I think he’s toast and he’s likely to be on a relatively cheap deal next year so therefore easier to just release. 

White Sox need a closer

17 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Although, hmmmm…..

if Kimbrel finishes the season and the team declines his option, he gets a 1 million buyout.

If the team DFA’s him now, does that save them the buyout fee?

That would change the calculus of this question completely.

DFA Kimbrel, save a million smackers, re-sign Vinny Nittoli and everything’s comin’ up Orioles!

Pretty sure releasing him now just immediately triggers the buyout.  

Also, while unrelated, I believe we have to pay each buyout for Eloy Jimenez in 2025 and 2026 if we decline the option this off-season. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

It’s too late for this season, but I hope the takeaway from this Kimbrel fiasco is that you don’t sign old declining pitchers to be the main piece of your rotation or bullpen.

Sign them as supplemental pieces, and sign them cheap. That’s ok.

But signing one old guy with deteriorating performance, for 14 million smackers, to be your closer, and then closing the shop for the day, is something we hope to not see again.

And Kimbrel has a negative WAR, so it’s not like he’s “technically” worth his salary..

This season has cost him Hall votes. He won’t make the second ballot, I bet.

I don't expect Elias to change his approach of avoiding long term high dollar contracts. 

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Not embarrassing at all to have a regular-season or playoff roster limited to your best players. It should be (don't know whether it would be) embarrassing to keep Kimbrel on the roster and exclude someone more useful because it would look bad to treat a one-time star closer that way. 

I’m talking about it being embarrassing to Kimbrel.   I thought that’s what we were talking about.

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't expect Elias to change his approach of avoiding long term high dollar contracts. 

Well, the contract he gave to Kimbrell was neither long-term nor high dollar by modern standards, but regardless, that is not what I was warning against.

I was warning against giving old guys in decline a lot of money to be the main piece.

He paid too much money for two little potential)given the decline factor)and relied on it for too much. That’s what needs to change.

Edited by HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Pretty sure releasing him now just immediately triggers the buyout.  

Also, while unrelated, I believe we have to pay each buyout for Eloy Jimenez in 2025 and 2026 if we decline the option this off-season. 

The White Sox are responsible for the buyout for Eloy

25 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Well, the contract he gave to Kimbrell was neither long-term nor high dollar by modern standards, but regardless, that is not what I was warning against.

I was warning against giving old guys in decline a lot of money to be the main piece.

He paid too much money for two little potential)given the decline factor)and relied on it for too much. That’s what needs to change.

I would expect Elias to continue targeting older veterans on shorter contracts. If we need a higher AAV guy I don't see the problem with Verlander/Scherzer types when there is need and opportunity. It didn't work out in this case for sure.