9/1 Roster Moves

Brian88

12 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Norby RHB would look nice with this struggling offense. 

And had they known several guys were going to get hurt and have horrific slumps for a few months, maybe they keep him.

But alas, their team fortune teller was on vacation that week, so they didn’t know it was going to happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And had they known several guys were going to get hurt and have horrific slumps for a few months, maybe they keep him.

But alas, their team fortune teller was on vacation that week, so they didn’t know it was going to happen.

Well SG you and I went on about this earlier in the week. You liked the trade I didn't from the start. I would love to be wrong but so far early results aren't good. I'm pulling for the kid though don't get me wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The guy you should be tooting your horn for is Kopech I know how much you liked him and he's been very good with the Dodgers. Would look good right about now in the O's pen

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

Man I hated that trade. How good would Norby's RHB look in this lineup right now the way they have been struggling for some time  now. 

You do realize that just because he is doing well in Miami does not mean he would be doing just as well if he was still will is?  Rogers was pitching very well leading up to the trade, but you’re not giving him any grace for what he was doing with the Marlins before the trade, right?  

7 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

Wow you’re right I’m not a wanna be GM. I’m just a typical fan who wants my hometown team to win. 

Calling fans sheep that may trust the GM/Manager, and may have logical thought on why certain moves are being made - doesn’t mean they also don’t want their team to win also.   

52 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

You do realize that just because he is doing well in Miami does not mean he would be doing just as well if he was still will is?  Rogers was pitching very well leading up to the trade, but you’re not giving him any grace for what he was doing with the Marlins before the trade, right?  

Well you and I have a different interapatauon of

" very well" 

2 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

Wow you’re right I’m not a wanna be GM. I’m just a typical fan who wants my hometown team to win. 

My apologies.  I was a bit harsh.  It’s great arguing over a team that’s winning!  

2 hours ago, Cheetos said:

Rogers sucks. He had a brief period of success but he’s still terrible, and he’s lost velocity on his fastball, which wasn’t very fast to begin with.

It was a terrible trade and will only get worse as his velocity declines 

Edited by HowAboutThat

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Lol, I just looked it up, Mayo is already at -0.7 rWAR.  in 37 at bats. Holliday is at -0.3 rWAR. Me, @Frobbyand @Sports Guy have provided more value to the Orioles this year.  
    • Just saw the SEA-NYY highlights from last night, and if you were opposing Luis Gil and he was wild to the tune of loading the bases on walks and a HBP and had run a 3-0 count 25 pitches deep in the 1st inning, is that the moment you would pick to try and steal home? That's what Victor Robles did.       A baseball game of "A lot to a little" quickly ensued.
    • Could it possibly be linked to what golf courses they might be looking to get to. ( say bucket list course like Pebble Beach, Cypress Point. Olympic Club, etc or just youre average Muni layout.
    • My bad.  I thought an earlier post was also by you but it was by @LookinUp
    • I didn't say it was all injuries.  But, fine.  Let's pretend it's just the injuries. Bradish Means G-Rod Wells DC Mateo Urias Mountcastle Westburg Bradish made 8 starts.  Let's be conservative and say that he would have made 30 starts, that's the same amount he made last year.  A starter that's healthy for a full season makes anywhere from 32-34 starts, but for argument's sake, let's be conservative like I said. Means made 4 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he would have only made 25.   G-Rod made 20 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he'd have only made 30. Wells made 3 starts, let's say be conservative again and say if healthy, he'd have matched the 20 games started last year.  But that doesn't really tell the whole story on him as he could have been effective out of the bullpen, too. That's 70 starts on the IL.  You can dice those numbers up anyway you want.  Feel free to knock off 10 or 20 starts off that number if you think I'm being too aggressive, that's still about 1/3 of a season of good starters on the shelf. DC got into 61 games last year, 29 this year.  Let's say he would have matched that this year.  That's 32 appearances out of the bullpen gone from one of our best relievers. Westburg has a 2.4 WAR so far this season, he was averaging just under 104 plate appearances per month.  Missed all of August, and will miss probably 2/3 of of September if we're lucky.  That's about 166 plate appearances right there. Mateo was at 208 plate appearances this year, 350 last year.  Replace that with Holliday who's an absolute zero.   I don't think I have to keep going, but I think you understand the point.  Add on top of this that Mayo has been a complete zero, Cowser is an automatic strikeout and had a .714 OPS last month and a .666 so far for this month.   You made the claim that other teams have dealt with injuries much better than the Orioles have, well, I'd be curious to find out if anyone has replaced 70 starts like we have and replaced a minimum of 308 at bats (Westburg and Mateo only, this isn't including Mounty and Urias) with absolute zeros at the plate from our farm system, and ~30 apperances from a key bullpen member. Oh, and I'm not including Bautista because we knew about him headed into the season. So, yeah.  Find me a team that's dealt with this many injuries this year and has done as well as Hyde has.    
    • Webb is already back, but yes I agree that Kimbrel should be DFA'd ASAP. Unlike Kimbrel, Burch Smith showed last night that he's capable of pitching well, even if he can't do that consistently. 
    • It’s not on Hyde which is why I never mentioned him in the post…
  • Popular Contributors