White Sox Series

Uli2001

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, so long as we can hit some pop ups, we can count on the White Sox to botch a few of those into runs for us.  

-76 Rtot, -87 Rdrs, -35 OAA.   Pick a metric, they stink.   

And it’s not even just this year.  Their defense has sucked for years now.  

Sad.   They spent last offseason putting a terrible team together but they thought the one thing they’d have was an improved defense.

For me, the pushback was/is against your statement that we “need” to go 7-2.  It would be very good for our chances if we did.   

I won’t bore you with the math, but when a .570 team (the Orioles entering this stretch) plays three three-game series against teams at .370, .230 and .496, the expected number of wins is about 6.3.   The odds of winning 6 or fewer are greater than the odds of winning 7 or more.  Some tables relevant to these calculations can be found here, if you care.

Now, I’d say there were some other factors at play besides pure overall winning percentage.   The White Sox have played even worse than .230 over the last two months; the Rockies are much better at home than on the road; and the Orioles have not played .570 ball the last 2.5 months.  But overall, I’d say 7-2 is an outcome we’d hope for, rather than one we should expect.  

And, we haven’t done it yet.  

The worst team in the history of modern baseball still won 42 games - so the White Sox will probably win a couple more as well. 

But holy cow did they look completely defeated and overmatched last night, in every aspect of the game. It was literally hard to watch. 

1 minute ago, SilentJames said:

The worst team in the history of modern baseball still won 42 games - so the White Sox will probably win a couple more as well. 

But holy cow did they look completely defeated and overmatched last night, in every aspect of the game. It was literally hard to watch. 

They have 9 games against Oakland and LAA so they will win at least a couple more games this season. But they aren't making 40. I'll predict a final record of 36-126.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For me, the pushback was/is against your statement that we “need” to go 7-2.  It would be very good for our chances if we did.   

I won’t bore you with the math, but when a .570 team (the Orioles entering this stretch) plays three three-game series against teams at .370, .230 and .496, the expected number of wins is about 6.3.   The odds of winning 6 or fewer are greater than the odds of winning 7 or more.  Some tables relevant to these calculations can be found here, if you care.

Now, I’d say there were some other factors at play besides pure overall winning percentage.   The White Sox have played even worse than .230 over the last two months; the Rockies are much better at home than on the road; and the Orioles have not played .570 ball the last 2.5 months.  But overall, I’d say 7-2 is an outcome we’d hope for, rather than one we should expect.  

You forgot one factor.   The resident board genius told us we should expect 7-2.

Edited by RZNJ

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sad.   They spent last offseason putting a terrible team together but they thought the one thing they’d have was an improved defense.

I remember going over to SoxTalk and explaining that one benefit of acquiring Joey Ortiz in a proposed Dylan Cease trade was that it would greatly improve their defense, and they basically sneered at me.  So now, they’ve had -19 Rtot, -18 Rdrs defense at SS.  Good for them.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I remember going over to SoxTalk and explaining that one benefit of acquiring Joey Ortiz in a proposed Dylan Cease trade was that it would greatly improve their defense, and they basically sneered at me.  So now, they’ve had -19 Rtot, -18 Rdrs defense at SS.  Good for them.  

I applaud your restraint for not going back over there and rubbing it in their faces. I'm sure SG would be doing it if he hadn't gotten banned.

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

They have 9 games against Oakland and LAA so they will win at least a couple more games this season. But they aren't making 40. I'll predict a final record of 36-126.

Oakland has one of the best records in the game since the middle of July……it was the best before heading into this past weekend.  Didn’t keep up on their performance since then.  

Hard to believe a team that is going to move in a couple months is playing better than this one, but the White Sox just look done.  No fire, nothing.  

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

First of all, it's fun to push back against you 🤣

But speaking for myself, I just thought with the way things have been going lately, all the injuries and disappointments, they'd let one slip away.  They still have to finish the job tonight but they should be super confident that they can.  And they should, especially with Suarez going against their AA lineup tonight.

Yea if they lose today, have to sweep Tampa. Certainly possible that they could do that but sweeping Chicago is the only acceptable result.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Need is a relative term. If you want to win the division and it’s a really close race, you need to beat up on the teams you are supposed to beat. I get it that you have this notion that winning series is what matters and while that boring cliche is mostly true, it’s not true when playing the worst team in MLB history. 

Look at this team. They do nothing well. They Are garbage across the board. 

Cant lose to them.  Now, if they lose tonight does that mean they can’t win the division?  No it doesn’t. But a loss tonight makes it harder and losing to this minor league team would be embarrrassing.

This is one of those series where I don’t even take any good away from it. I’m glad the Os are doing what they should but unless guys are gaining confidence, I don’t have anymore confidence in this team to win the next series because they are beating up on this team.

Its the type of series where only negatives can be taken from it.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea if they lose today, have to sweep Tampa. Certainly possible that they could do that but sweeping Chicago is the only acceptable result.  

Acceptable?   Meaning you’ll picket outside the stadium in protest or quit (🤸‍♂️) the board?