Elias taking accountability

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Drafting strategies aside, I don't see how anyone can point at Elias and say 'this is your fault'.  First of all, he's still built a playoff team (probably - I still hesitate to assume this, though just a couple more wins would ease my mind) even though half the team is missing (some more unexpectedly than others).  Second of all, the dregs he's had to pull up here lately haven't even been THAT bad considering how far down the depth chart they are/were.  Rivera has hit OK, L Soto in a VERY small size has at least shown a good glove.  He took a shot on Eloy and that hasn't really worked out, but it didn't cost much of anything to try.  I really don't know what people would have expected him to do.

If anything, you could argue that the criticism he faced about not bringing up Holliday and Mayo sooner, rings pretty hollow given how bad they have been now that they are here.  Would they be any better here today if they had been playing in the majors for the last three months or whatever?  Hard to say, but at the rate they've been hitting, I don't know how any team could have given them the rope they apparently need.

Exactly. Altho it's perilous to say on this forum, I wish Elias's typical caution with bringing up AAA stars had gone to the extent that Holliday and Mayo had not been plugged into the crucial roles that have been clearly too much for them to shoulder at this point in their development. Fortunately, Urías will soon be back and the earlier Westberg returns the better. Until then, give me Soto at 2nd base and Rivera at 3rd--and kudos to ME when they succeed.

All I heard was a lot of word salad. Bottom line is the players and the manager have to perform better.

Elias will be judged in how he manages the off season. Including, dumping every single hitting coach in the organization and going back to a measured hitting approach instead of always swinging for the fences.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t think anyone should really blame him.  We lost 3 infield starters and a DH/Of because of injuries in a matter of about a month all while trading away Hays, Norby, and Stowers just before that.  All those guys couldn’t get bats here at the time because of our depth and were major league players or had nothing to prove in minors.  I am sure if he knew Westburg was going to get hit in the hand and be out two months he would have probably kept Norby but it happened 1 day to late.   Holliday and or Mayo could have been eased in better without those injuries giving Westburg, Urias, and even Mateo most the time and Holliday playing in spots if they were healthy.  

Our season to some extant is looking just like the Rays last year as we both got out to hot starts then the injuries started to mount up and we have held the ship afloat best we could because we both did have so much depth.  They had serious injuries to there starting rotation but kept filling in guys til they ran out of guys and couldn’t hold us off down the stretch.  The same type thing has happened to us and we are limping into the playoff like they did.  There guys never came back though so they saw a quick exit in the first round and I think we see same thing unless a few of our guys come back and get up to speed fast but time is running out.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

All I heard was a lot of word salad. Bottom line is the players and the manager have to perform better.

Elias will be judged in how he manages the off season. Including, dumping every single hitting coach in the organization and going back to a measured hitting approach instead of always swinging for the fences.

Right.  The team has scored the 5th most runs in baseball, and has the 2nd best OPS+, so let’s fire all the hitting coaches because the team had a month-long slump.  Got it.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Drafting strategies aside, I don't see how anyone can point at Elias and say 'this is your fault'.  First of all, he's still built a playoff team (probably - I still hesitate to assume this, though just a couple more wins would ease my mind) even though half the team is missing (some more unexpectedly than others).  Second of all, the dregs he's had to pull up here lately haven't even been THAT bad considering how far down the depth chart they are/were.  Rivera has hit OK, L Soto in a VERY small size has at least shown a good glove.  He took a shot on Eloy and that hasn't really worked out, but it didn't cost much of anything to try.  I really don't know what people would have expected him to do.

If anything, you could argue that the criticism he faced about not bringing up Holliday and Mayo sooner, rings pretty hollow given how bad they have been now that they are here.  Would they be any better here today if they had been playing in the majors for the last three months or whatever?  Hard to say, but at the rate they've been hitting, I don't know how any team could have given them the rope they apparently need.

Are you serious? They did a great job drafting. He’s gotten lucky picking guys off the scrap heap or waiver wire.  But, most of the deadline trades have been poor both this year and last. Efflin is the only trade he clearly made the right decision on. I don’t think he deserves a pass for that. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you serious? They did a great job drafting. He’s gotten lucky picking guys off the scrap heap or waiver wire.  But, most of the deadline trades have been poor both this year and last. Efflin is the only trade he clearly made the right decision on. I don’t think he deserves a pass for that. 

What does ‘a pass’ even mean?  If you’re expecting perfection I don’t know what to tell ya. His sell trades in 2022 worked out nicely. He hasn’t paid much for the misses IMO (not looking to get into a Rogers trade argument here). His off season trades have been quite good. Why limit to just deadline?

20 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

What does ‘a pass’ even mean?  If you’re expecting perfection I don’t know what to tell ya. His sell trades in 2022 worked out nicely. He hasn’t paid much for the misses IMO (not looking to get into a Rogers trade argument here). His off season trades have been quite good. Why limit to just deadline?

It means he’s sucked at trading. You’re suggesting this isn’t his fault. It is … the offense has collapsed. Yes there were injuries but he traded good prospects for marginal upgrades Jiménez, Riviera , Rogers, they could’ve done just as bad on waiver wire players. 

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It means he’s sucked at trading. You’re suggesting this isn’t his fault. It is … the offense has collapsed. Yes there were injuries but he traded good prospects for marginal upgrades Jiménez, Riviera , Rogers, they could’ve done just as bad on waiver wire players. 

Rivera was a waiver claim…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Has anyone asked him why our top prospects struggle so much when they come to the majors?  Rookies on other teams with much weaker credentials have not struggled out of the gate the way that Coby Mayo, Jackson Holliday, Adley Rustchman and Colton Cowser have.  

Don't lump Rutschman in that group. He's in year 3 for goodness sakes.