Hyde Hot Seat

Deadwood Fan

Hot seat?   

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brandon Hyde on the hot seat?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The problem is that the injuries shouldn’t be too much to overcome. A Yankees team last year with zero depth (only one player besides Judge with a WAR over 2) had a .538 win percentage with him and a .446 win percentage without him. The Orioles had a .662 win percentage through 74 games and have a .455 win percentage since then. 

Mountcastle has only missed a month. Urias has missed a few weeks. Rodriguez and Westburg have missed a month and a half. Coulombe is the only player who really has been hurt this whole slump. Everyone else has been healthy for about half of that slump, if not more. There’s zero excuse for them to be this bad. And this has nothing to do with Hyde, just saying that injuries are an easy excuse and other top teams have dealt with them much better than the Orioles have. 

Like future HOF manager Bruce Bochy of the Texas Rangers.   Oops!

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's objectively poor based on what?  Second guessing bullpen moves?  Was he a bad manager in 2022 or 2023, he's all of a sudden lost the attributes of being a good manager?

Adley isn't the worst hitter on the team, that's not accurate.  There's probably 3 guys ahead of him.

Cowser and Tony have always swung out of their shoes.  Hyde can't fix who these guys are.

Just like you don't understand the group of people who refuse to consider the possibility, I don't understand the group of people who so want to quickly overlook the fact that there have been a ridiculous amount of injuries and prospects haven't lived up to their billing this year.  People seem to expect that the train should just keep rolling no matter what.

Tell him again Moose. Looking for the fall guy?, nothing more obvious than the injured list.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Are injuries the reason why the team would give up once they had a lead?  Well, good thing we fixed that problem.  We don't get big leads anymore.  Hyde even admitted this after game 3 of the Marlins series.  

Hyde's message, as he admits it, isn't getting through.  I'm not blaming Hyde, just pointing out that we might have to make a change.  Can't change the players.  Or at least all of them.  

This is reality.  It's no longer SSS.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I basically agree.  The injuries have hurt, but subpar performances by healthy players has also been a big problem.   

But some of that subparness is really bad luck.  You put really bad luck on top of a rash of injuries and you have issues.

What you are also saying is you have no margin for error.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I basically agree.  The injuries have hurt, but subpar performances by healthy players has also been a big problem.   

Yeah I mean Rutschman was the best catcher in the league as of 6/22 and tied for 10th among all position players in WAR. He’s 10th among 12 qualified catchers in WAR since then (0.1 WAR) and 135th among 150 qualifying batters. Gunnar went from the best player in the league to being a slightly better version of himself from last year. O’Hearn and Mountcastle were 3rd and 7th in wRC+ among 32 1B’s with more than 220 PA’s through 6/21. They are 30th and 35th in wRC+ among 37 1B’s with more than 170 PA’s since then. 

Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but something seems broken within this offense. The injuries suck, but what’s really concerning is the internal drop off from 5 of their top 6 hitters (including Westburg and Santander) these last 3 months. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Our injuries the reason why the team would give up once they had a lead?  Well, good thing we fixed that problem.  We don't get big leads anymore.  Hyde even admitted this after game 3 of the Marlins series.  

Hyde's message, as he admits it, isn't getting through.  I'm not blaming Hyde, just pointing out that we might have to make a change.  Can't change the players.  Or at least all of them.  

This is reality.  It's no longer SSS.  

You don’t seem to be in touch with reality.   The Orioles are not firing Hyde after this season or before next season even if they miss the playoffs, which is very unlikely.

You can’t fire all of the players.   You can fire the manager.   That doesn’t mean they will.  In fact, they won’t.

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah I mean Rutschman was the best catcher in the league as of 6/22 and tied for 10th among all position players in WAR. He’s 10th among 12 qualified catchers in WAR since then (0.1 WAR) and 135th among 150 qualifying batters. Gunnar went from the best player in the league to being a slightly better version of himself from last year. O’Hearn and Mountcastle were 3rd and 7th in wRC+ among 32 1B’s with more than 220 PA’s through 6/21. They are 30th and 35th in wRC+ among 37 1B’s with more than 170 PA’s since then. 

Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but something seems broken within this offense. The injuries suck, but what’s really concerning is the internal drop off from 5 of their top 6 hitters (including Westburg and Santander) these last 3 months. 

So how is that on Hyde? And if it is he gets credit for the previous two years? If thats the case he will have a job somewhere.

I am encouraged by the results of the poll.  Despite the loud minority here that want a scapegoat most people here understand this isn’t Hyde’s fault.  It does shock me the people who want Buck to come back.  I was a big fan of Buck’s during the resurgence he oversaw but in the end he appeared completely set in his own ways and it was time to move on.  It is correct this isn’t all on injuries.  Many young players have failed to produce as expected.  The combination of both those facts have really soured things the last 2 weeks especially.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My post had nothing to do with Hyde or management. My point was that the players that are healthy (or were) should be playing better. 

The Rangers won 90 games last year with over performances/career years by Seager, Semien, Garcia, Heim, Taveras, Garver, and an incredible (and lucky) rookie showing by Carter. They’re on pace for 77 wins - the Orioles have played at a 74 win pace the last 77 games. The Orioles struggling isn’t on Hyde and the Rangers struggling isn’t on Bochy (or injuries), not really sure what your point is. 

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

So how is that on Hyde? And if it is he gets credit for the previous two years? If thats the case he will have a job somewhere.

It’s not on Hyde which is why I never mentioned him in the post…

27 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The problem is that the injuries shouldn’t be too much to overcome. A Yankees team last year with zero depth (only one player besides Judge with a WAR over 2) had a .538 win percentage with him and a .446 win percentage without him. The Orioles had a .662 win percentage through 74 games and have a .455 win percentage since then. 

Mountcastle has only missed a month. Urias has missed a few weeks. Rodriguez and Westburg have missed a month and a half. Coulombe is the only player who really has been hurt this whole slump. Everyone else has been healthy for about half of that slump, if not more. There’s zero excuse for them to be this bad. And this has nothing to do with Hyde, just saying that injuries are an easy excuse and other top teams have dealt with them much better than the Orioles have. 

I didn't say it was all injuries.  But, fine.  Let's pretend it's just the injuries.

Bradish

Means

G-Rod

Wells

DC

Mateo

Urias

Mountcastle

Westburg

Bradish made 8 starts.  Let's be conservative and say that he would have made 30 starts, that's the same amount he made last year.  A starter that's healthy for a full season makes anywhere from 32-34 starts, but for argument's sake, let's be conservative like I said.

Means made 4 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he would have only made 25.  

G-Rod made 20 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he'd have only made 30.

Wells made 3 starts, let's say be conservative again and say if healthy, he'd have matched the 20 games started last year.  But that doesn't really tell the whole story on him as he could have been effective out of the bullpen, too.

That's 70 starts on the IL.  You can dice those numbers up anyway you want.  Feel free to knock off 10 or 20 starts off that number if you think I'm being too aggressive, that's still about 1/3 of a season of good starters on the shelf.

DC got into 61 games last year, 29 this year.  Let's say he would have matched that this year.  That's 32 appearances out of the bullpen gone from one of our best relievers.

Westburg has a 2.4 WAR so far this season, he was averaging just under 104 plate appearances per month.  Missed all of August, and will miss probably 2/3 of of September if we're lucky.  That's about 166 plate appearances right there.

Mateo was at 208 plate appearances this year, 350 last year.  Replace that with Holliday who's an absolute zero.  

I don't think I have to keep going, but I think you understand the point.  Add on top of this that Mayo has been a complete zero, Cowser is an automatic strikeout and had a .714 OPS last month and a .666 so far for this month.  

You made the claim that other teams have dealt with injuries much better than the Orioles have, well, I'd be curious to find out if anyone has replaced 70 starts like we have and replaced a minimum of 308 at bats (Westburg and Mateo only, this isn't including Mounty and Urias) with absolute zeros at the plate from our farm system, and ~30 apperances from a key bullpen member.

Oh, and I'm not including Bautista because we knew about him headed into the season.

So, yeah.  Find me a team that's dealt with this many injuries this year and has done as well as Hyde has.  

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

My post had nothing to do with Hyde or management. My point was that the players that are healthy (or were) should be playing better. 

The Rangers won 90 games last year with over performances/career years by Seager, Semien, Garcia, Heim, Taveras, Garver, and an incredible (and lucky) rookie showing by Carter. They’re on pace for 77 wins - the Orioles have played at a 74 win pace the last 77 games. The Orioles struggling isn’t on Hyde and the Rangers struggling isn’t on Bochy (or injuries), not really sure what your point is. 

My bad.  I thought an earlier post was also by you but it was by @LookinUp

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I didn't say it was all injuries.  But, fine.  Let's pretend it's just the injuries.

Bradish

Means

G-Rod

Wells

DC

Mateo

Urias

Mountcastle

Westburg

Bradish made 8 starts.  Let's be conservative and say that he would have made 30 starts, that's the same amount he made last year.  A starter that's healthy for a full season makes anywhere from 32-34 starts, but for argument's sake, let's be conservative like I said.

Means made 4 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he would have only made 25.  

G-Rod made 20 starts.  Let's be conservative and say he'd have only made 30.

Wells made 3 starts, let's say be conservative again and say if healthy, he'd have matched the 20 games started last year.  But that doesn't really tell the whole story on him as he could have been effective out of the bullpen, too.

That's 70 starts on the IL.  You can dice those numbers up anyway you want.  Feel free to knock off 10 or 20 starts off that number if you think I'm being too aggressive, that's still about 1/3 of a season of good starters on the shelf.

DC got into 61 games last year, 29 this year.  Let's say he would have matched that this year.  That's 32 appearances out of the bullpen gone from one of our best relievers.

Westburg has a 2.4 WAR so far this season, he was averaging just under 104 plate appearances per month.  Missed all of August, and will miss probably 2/3 of of September if we're lucky.  That's about 166 plate appearances right there.

Mateo was at 208 plate appearances this year, 350 last year.  Replace that with Holliday who's an absolute zero.  

I don't think I have to keep going, but I think you understand the point.  Add on top of this that Mayo has been a complete zero, Cowser is an automatic strikeout and had a .714 OPS last month and a .666 so far for this month.  

You made the claim that other teams have dealt with injuries much better than the Orioles have, well, I'd be curious to find out if anyone has replaced 70 starts like we have and replaced a minimum of 308 at bats (Westburg and Mateo only, this isn't including Mounty and Urias) with absolute zeros at the plate from our farm system, and ~30 apperances from a key bullpen member.

Oh, and I'm not including Bautista because we knew about him headed into the season.

So, yeah.  Find me a team that's dealt with this many injuries this year and has done as well as Hyde has.  

Dodgers