Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

LookitsPuck

Will the Orioles make the playoffs?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles make the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Was never worried about them. Even though the Royals and Twins have been struggling, that’s only been recent. The O’s have been underwater approaching 3 months.

Is it unlikely the O’s miss the playoffs, yeah. But they are going to take this down to the last series, potentially the last game or 2, it feels.

I actually meant to post this in the the playoff picture thread ….

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Thread really isn’t completely irrelevant.

O’s are 86-70

Tigers 82-74

Twins 81-74

Royals 82-74

Magic Number is 3 with 6 to go, but they keep losing. And now they have the Yankees and Twins. 

The magic number is 2 vs the Twins and Royals.  We hold the tiebreaker on them because of head to head with Royals or best division record vs the Twins.  

10 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The magic number is 2 vs the Twins and Royals.  We hold the tiebreaker on them because of head to head with Royals or best division record vs the Twins.  

Yeah, win 2 and they’re in because of the Twins and Royals losses.

This is the playoff scenarios with tie breakers.  

A 4 way tie with Orioles, Tigers, Twins, Royals.   Twins get the 4 seed, Tigers the 5 seed, Orioles 6 seed.  

3 way ties Orioles, Twins, Tigers with Royals finishing with better record over everyone else and Orioles losing all 3 in Minnesota 4. Royals, 5. Twins, 6 Tigers.  If the Orioles win 1 vs Twins, Royals 4, 5. Orioles, 6 Twins.  

39 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

This is from the Baltimore Sun beat reporter:

"Baltimore's magic number is three. A Twins loss tonight drops the Orioles' magic number to two. Baltimore could then clinch Tuesday with a win and a Twins loss. A Minnesota win tonight means the earliest Baltimore can clinch is Wednesday."

The Twins & Red Sox are currently scoreless in the 4th inning.

6 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

This is from the Baltimore Sun beat reporter:

"Baltimore's magic number is three. A Twins loss tonight drops the Orioles' magic number to two. Baltimore could then clinch Tuesday with a win and a Twins loss. A Minnesota win tonight means the earliest Baltimore can clinch is Wednesday."

The Twins & Red Sox are currently scoreless in the 4th inning.

The magic number to make the playoffs is 1.  I think it’s 3 to lock up the top WC spot 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The magic number to make the playoffs is 1.  I think it’s 3 to lock up the top WC spot 

3 more O's wins does lock up the top WC spot.

But if they win less than three more games, I think there's not a clear magic number to secure that seed. It would depend on who else finishes with the WC, and with what record. (e.g. if the O's finish 2-4, but Detroit finishes 6-0, Detroit could be the 4 seed). 

If you don’t think there’s a possibility of the Os missing the playoffs at this point I don’t know what to tell you. 

Not saying it’s likely, and I’m sure not rooting for it (before some clown accuses me of that), but my eyes have to be open to that possibility. The team has played poorly over and over again right in front of us. The Tigers probably won’t lose more than 1 the rest of this week.  KC and the Twins have to start winning at some point - and we might have to beat the Twins ourselves, which how can you possibly be confident about that either? Those teams arent likely to just keep losing over and over. 

We will probably be subjected to the Yanks celebrating their division title on Tuesday - if not then, certainly at some point this week, right in front of our guys. Perhaps that vision somehow lights a fire. I hope so. 

Nice seeing Westie and Ramon back and glad they’ll get a full week before the playoffs start, if we do make it. There is some hope there at least. But things need to change on the field, and fast, or else all will have been for naught. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

KC and the Twins have to start winning at some point - and we might have to beat the Twins ourselves, which how can you possibly be confident about that either? Those teams arent likely to just keep losing over and over. 

After tonight's game in Boston, the Twins have a 3-game series against the Marlins, so you're correct that they may not keep losing.