Where are the pollyannas?

Tony-OH

12 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Adley better show up to camp "in the best shape of his life," not sure that fixes all his problems but I thought it was one of them.

It sure as hell can’t hurt. He needs to be dialing up the catcher version of tight end university in the offseason to get his defense together too. If not it’s going to make it easier to resign Gunnar because we won’t be spending money on Adley’s contract.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I still think we should make a real push for Soto.  He can be this generation's Frank Robinson.  He's been there, he's only 25 so he has at least 6 years of peak ball left.  Splits don't matter with him because he hits everyone.  We have a hole in at least 1 corner spot.  We can afford him right now despite his price tag because we're not paying anyone.

He has 6 years of peak ball left, and you suggest that we go ahead and pony up for that 10-12 year contract he's going to want (or the one that takes him to age 40) knowing he wants big dollars in the out-years too?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've had a hernia and you have good days and bad days. 

I only really missed work with mine when it became incarcerated.

Btw, you get a hernia, go get it fixed, it's stupid to wait.

Of course it could very easily be a back issue or something else.

Your sports hernia did hard time? Leavenworth?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

He has 6 years of peak ball left, and you suggest that we go ahead and pony up for that 10-12 year contract he's going to want (or the one that takes him to age 40) knowing he wants big dollars in the out-years too?

100%.  We have the band together for nearly the entirety of those 6 years and he might earn the entire contract before he opts out.  If he plays well enough to opt out then that's a double win for us because we don't even have to pay for his decline.  But having a playoff proven guy batting 2nd or 4th on a team with a lot of above average bats but few superstar bats?

Let's put it this way, if we had Soto in RF do you think we score 1 run in 18 innings?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Where are you now?

Where are the posters who laughed when we said how boring this team was?
Where are the posters who scoffed at the idea that this team is full of players who can't perfrom under pressure?
Where are the posters that bring up that the Orioles offense scored the second most runs?
Where are the posters that go into the game thread and tell people they are overreacting when it's clear this team is choking time and time again?
Where were the posters who just think it's baseball that this core group choked once again?

Every single coach should be fired. Hyde should be fired. Elias gets one more offseason with an owner that may actually spend.

Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn should have played their last games as Orioles.

Rutschman needs to go to fat boy camp and lose about 15 pounds while putting on muscle. Maybe go to a hitting school that teach 2-0 is a great pitch to swing on. 

At the end of the day, this is EXACTLY what this team deserved. They have played like scared little school children since late June. Don't give me injuries, because this team's offense was in tact and they scored one freakin' run in two games. One. 

They were swept by a 85-win team that has struggled down the stretch. They collected two hits off a bullpen in 8 innings of work. They are an absolute and utter embarrassment. This team is more of an embarrassment than the team that lost 110+ games. 

Everyone involved in this season have stained their reputation. EVERYONE. Gunnar hits 37 home runs and craps his pants. Cowser thinks he's rookie of the year and dude swings at ball that hit him with the bases loaded. What kind of ridiculous unprofessional at bat was that? 

Adley? Are you kidding me. If they traded him this offseason I wouldn't shed a tear. 

The only thing good in any of this is now my calendar has been freed up. Never again will I ever trust a Hyde-led, Elias developed team led by his core. He needs to go out and find guys that don't poop their pants the second pressure is involved.

Thank you Burnes for being a professional and doing your job. You deserved better than being in a clubhouse full of choke artists. 

If Elias brings back this coaching staff he gets one more year to win a World Series than he's on the chopping block too. If he wants to ride with these losers, then go down with these losers.

Truth!

I like Tony's posts and frequently agree with him, but I don't really get this thread. 

Would I be a polyanna for believing in the starting pitching, the bullpen and Hyde's management of each?  Yeah, I probably would think of someone who always apologizes and makes excuses for Hyde's bullpen management, for example, as a bit of a polyanna.  Except the pitching was excellent the past two games.  I was ready to scream when Hyde pulled Eflin -- except the bullpen pretty much did their job.  3 runs over two full games was all the scoring allowed.  So, regarding the pitching the polyannas were pretty much proved right -- at least for two playoff games and maybe several series back into the season.

Am I a polyanna for believing this team should be able to hit?  This I'm less convinced on.  I think most people -- even the pessimists and cynics -- thought this team could and would hit well.  Especially because they did hit last season and the first half of this season overall.  And because of all the touted prospects making their way up.  I can't call the fans who believed in the young hitters polyannas -- except for maybe some of those who still believe we would have been better off starting Mayo over Urias.  But is that guy a polyanna or just odd?  

Criticizing Elias for the team's failure to hit may be valid, but I think someone has to make a strong case for it.  And even the hitting coaches or other coaches -- if they are such crap then why so much initial success?  Did they fail to help the hitters adjust once they started to struggle?  Maybe so but I think there needs to be a pretty strong argument for it -- something other than they don't know what they're doing.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to argue that they shouldn't spend,  but there's really not a lot to spend on. The farm system really doesn't have any marquee names for trade either, unless it's SB, Mayo or maybe Holliday. They're in a tough spot to try and improve in 2025.

Blake Snell is an FA. So is our own Corbin Burnes.

Here are some other FAs - Pete Alonso, Alex Bregman, Nathan Eovalidi, (possibly) Gerrit Cole, Rhys Hoskins,Marcell Ozuna, Max Fried, Ryan Pressly, Shane Bieber, Willy Adames, Justin Turner, David Robertson, Christian Walker, Walker Buehler, Tanner Scott, Freddy Peralta, Jurickson Profar and of course Juan Soto. Just to name some of the guys who may be able to help us.

**These names are all according to spotrac.**

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

I like Tony's posts and frequently agree with him, but I don't really get this thread. 

Would I be a polyanna for believing in the starting pitching, the bullpen and Hyde's management of each?  Yeah, I probably would think of someone who always apologizes and makes excuses for Hyde's bullpen management, for example, as a bit of a polyanna.  Except the pitching was excellent the past two games.  I was ready to scream when Hyde pulled Eflin -- except the bullpen pretty much did their job.  3 runs over two full games was all the scoring allowed.  So, regarding the pitching the polyannas were pretty much proved right -- at least for two playoff games and maybe several series back into the season.

Am I a polyanna for believing this team should be able to hit?  This I'm less convinced on.  I think most people -- even the pessimists and cynics -- thought this team could and would hit well.  Especially because they did hit last season and the first half of this season overall.  And because of all the touted prospects making their way up.  I can't call the fans who believed in the young hitters polyannas -- except for maybe some of those who still believe we would have been better off starting Mayo over Urias.  But is that guy a polyanna or just odd?  

Criticizing Elias for the team's failure to hit may be valid, but I think someone has to make a strong case for it.  And even the hitting coaches or other coaches -- if they are such crap then why so much initial success?  Did they fail to help the hitters adjust once they started to struggle?  Maybe so but I think there needs to be a pretty strong argument for it -- something other than they don't know what they're doing.  

Hitting, defense, and offensive depth were three of the things I was least worried about going into the season and then by the end of it, they were all I could think about.  I'm a lot more skeptical of the coaching than I usually am when things are going wrong.  The team seemed to completely lose focus, took a ton of poor hitting approaches.  I think a very young team is great but they needed something or someone to make them gel and keep a competitive spirit.

And that's why, I'm calling it now, our biggest offseason signing will be bench coach Michael Jordan.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Here are some other FAs - Pete Alonso, Alex Bregman, Nathan Eovalidi, (possibly) Gerrit Cole, Rhys Hoskins,Marcell Ozuna, Max Fried, Ryan Pressly, Shane Bieber, Willy Adames, Justin Turner, David Robertson, Christian Walker, Walker Buehler, Tanner Scott, Freddy Peralta, Jurickson Profar and of course Juan Soto. Just to name some of the guys who may be able to help us.

I wonder what Burnes is going to get. The market for them seems so volatile year to year.  Snell didn't get paid after winning a Cy.

I have a feeling he's going to be more affordable than expected. 

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm in the camp that would like to see Burnes back as well.  Alonso is another guy. Replace Mountcastle and O'Hearn in one shot. It's going to be an off season to keep an eye on for the fans. We really don't know what direction they'll go.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's pretty clear that how the Orioles develop hitters does not work at the major league level. Major league pitchers don't make as many mistakes. Every talented hitter than has come up has struggled at first, until they were able to make the major league adjustments. Maybe teach guys to be effective right of the bat?

The entire systems hitting philosophy needs to be changed top to bottom.

If that’s the case how did they finish 2nd in runs in the AL? In a park no longer a hitters park with no significant FA signings. Mainly a home grown roster.