Adley's health this season

accinfo

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

So where did it go wrong, if it’s tough to pin it on bad swing decisions? 

I still think an injury (or multiple smaller injuries) is possible, if not probable. Evaluating the possibility of a hand injury, here are his Statcast numbers from the two weeks prior to and following that incident on June 27:

2022-2023: 37.8% hard hit rate; 88.2 MPH avg. EV; .353 wOBA

06/12 - 06/26: 43.8% hard hit rate; 89.8 MPH avg. EV; .356 wOBA

06/28 - 07/14: 20.5% hard hit rate; 83.6 MPH avg. EV; .214 wOBA

Coming into June 27, Adley was hitting the ball harder than he ever had. He was actually hitting it even harder in the week prior to June 27 than what I showed above. After that ball off his hand, those hard contact numbers instantly fell off, in a pretty dramatic fashion.

And they never really came back. 

07/14 - 09/30: 30.0% hard hit rate; 86.9 MPH avg. EV; .258 wOBA

I don’t think it’s quite proof positive that he was playing with a broken hand or that type of thing. But it’s very suspicious that his performance immediately fell off a cliff after getting hit with that foul ball and really never again returned to anything approaching normal for him.

I remember reading somewhere a player that uses ststcast data saying that short term dips in maximum EV are a pretty strong sign that a player is playing through injury.