What's Your Top Priority

mcneck

Just now, Hallas said:

I unironically think the Yankees can't afford him.  They're in multi-year, 3rd surcharge territory right now, so unless I'm misreading the CBA, they're going to be paying a 110% surcharge on Soto's salary.  Same with the Mets, but they have a lot of money coming off the books this year.  The Yankees don't.  The Mets seem more likely than the Yankees, especially with how they surged in the 2nd half.

An interesting wrinkle, I'll admit. Good point. 

Who else would be in on Soto? LA? SD? 

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto Soto

Roki

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

An interesting wrinkle, I'll admit. Good point. 

Who else would be in on Soto? LA? SD? 

SD is boned because of their media rights deal.  I don't think they can afford him.  Angels and Dodgers are possibilities; I would think he'd avoid the Angels like the plague because that org is a poopshow.  But he could play LF in Dodger Stadium if Teoscar leaves for FA.  LA has the same problem as the Yankees with regard to paying luxury tax, so that's going to be tough for them as well.

I think in the grand scheme of things LA also "needs" him less, even if his bat slots in nicely, because LA produces talent from their farm more regularly than the Yankees have been lately.

Edited by Hallas

19 minutes ago, Hallas said:

SD is boned because of their media rights deal.  I don't think they can afford him.  Angels and Dodgers are possibilities; I would think he'd avoid the Angels like the plague because that org is a poopshow.  But he could play LF in Dodger Stadium if Teoscar leaves for FA.  LA has the same problem as the Yankees with regard to paying luxury tax, so that's going to be tough for them as well.

I think in the grand scheme of things LA also "needs" him less, even if his bat slots in nicely, because LA produces talent from their farm more regularly than the Yankees have been lately.

Agree no SD. Another $500MM+ contract for the Dodgers might be tough. No way Soto signs with Angels.  Giants and Nats could be in play.

Just now, Warehouse said:

Agree no SD. Another $500MM+ contract for the Dodgers might be tough. No way Soto signs with Angels.  Giants and Nats could be in play.

Before Posey jumped on board I would have said the Giants.  They've been trying hard to get someone to take their money.

Now I'm not so sure.

2 hours ago, mcneck said:

What is your top priority this offseaason?

Let's assume Burnes and Santander are gone

Pick one position or player

I think if you limit to one.  TOR is a must. But while the Orioles are good they have more than one need.

I think this year taught us one thing regarding pitching.  You can't plan on everyone staying healthy... Duh.  So whoever it is, given what we have returning and healthy.  I think the Orioles need 2 SP who can pitch in a short playoff series.  A #1 and a #2 or #3.

I think assuming we have a healthy closer is a risk a WS contending team should not take.  Get a strong closer and another strong bull pen guy.  If you have too many at the deadline, trade some.  (see Phillies).

At least one RH Bat.  Preferably this player should haver World Series success in their resume.  

If we are I think the Orioles could make some additional trades that can strengthen the farm.  

When you are on the bottom, improvement is not incredibly difficult.  When you are at the top, incremental change requires more.  That is where the Orioles are. 

This can be done without spending a billion dollars, but obviously, if the owners wanted to spend lavishly, it would help.

The question is can Elias make these moves.  I think he can, but since Adley arrived, we have traded away instead of going for a small chance at WC, been swept at home in the ALDS and swept at home in the WC.  This is a huge off season for Elias in my opinion.  

I hope he can do it.  I think he can do it.  But he has to prove it.

Edited by foxfield

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Mets.  

3 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

An #1 ace pitcher should be the top priority.  Followed closely by a proven power hitting first basemen.  Mounty's bat has regressed over the past two seasons.

Mountcastle's OPS+

2021-114

2022- 108

2023- 117

2024- 113

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Crazy how folks just say things without actually checking.