What's Your Top Priority

mcneck

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Bregman has said that he is not interested in Baltimore because of the wall. Thats going to be a common theme among RH hitting free agents

I actually meant to specify that in my post, as it’s a very important point. Difficult to talk an aging RH hitter into moving from the Crawford boxes to Walltimore. 

I hate that wall. I really hope they take a strong look at moving it back in to some extent. I think it’s hurt us more than it’s helped. It was one thing to try to move away from being a total bandbox, but…it feels like an overcorrection when your players are having to change their entire approach to try to adjust for the outfield dimensions.

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I actually meant to specify that in my post, as it’s a very important point. Difficult to talk an aging RH hitter into moving from the Crawford boxes to Walltimore. 

I hate that wall. I really hope they take a strong look at moving it back in to some extent. I think it’s hurt us more than it’s helped. It was one thing to try to move away from being a total bandbox, but…it feels like an overcorrection when your players are having to change their entire approach to try to adjust for the outfield dimensions.

I'd like to see them split the difference between the old wall and the new wall.  I think that would be fair to both pitchers and hitters.

6 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

I'd like to see them split the difference between the old wall and the new wall.  I think that would be fair to both pitchers and hitters.

I agree. As an opposing team hitter, I have to deal with that wall at most 7 games over the course of the season.  Our right handed hitters have to deal with it for 81 games.  That is a massive difference and I am sure it impacts their approach at the plate.  Our left handed pitchers I am sure appreciate it, but I think it is overkill.  

8 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

And then the dimensions become like every other park in baseball. I like that the O's tried something out-of-the-box that requires having a rangier LF.

I kind of think this team needs a "bad guy", like an awesome teammate who opposing teams dislike, someone to get under the skin of the opposition and skirt the line out there. A Manny-type. I love the group we have but I'm finding them to be a little too nice and mild-mannered. This player can't just be someone like Odor - they need to be a good player, too, otherwise I don't think they have much effect. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• We no longer the little sisters of the poor. I can understand us maybe not outbidding the Dodgers and maybe the Mets for a top FA. But the rest of those teams mentioned? We should be right there with any of them. Our ownership groups pockets go just as deep if not deeper.
    • Forget the value for a second since they don't add up from the chart on the right to the chart on the left. Just look at how much less he swings at pitches in the heart of the zone. He swings at 10% less pitches than the major league average in the heart of the zone where most of the damage is done. He actually swang at 3% more pitches than major league average on chase, so not sure how he was worth 22 more runs unless he did more damage than others in that area.
    • You're being obtuse.  He would have had the job for good if he had played reasonably well.  He looked completely overmatched in those first 30 AB's so they rightly sent him down.
    • I think dropping the cutter was a big development for him. He used that a fair amount (15%) through the end of his ML stint in July, but then they totally shelved it after that. Seems he replaced it primarily with more use of the sweeper, which proved to be a more effective pitch. After he came back up in August, he had a 4.25 ERA and a 3.47 FIP, which are both very solid numbers for a rookie starter. He did that against a pretty tough slate of opponents, including BOS (x2), DET (x2), LAD, HOU, and MIN.  More specifically, he had a 6.27 xFIP against RHHs up until August, and the cutter was one of his weapons against them. After coming back up (and discarding the cutter), he had a 3.82 xFIP against RHHs. That’s a game changer, and the next step is probably getting that changeup polished up to be the other weapon against righties.
    • I think green bar above the color coded line is Swing and the brown bar below the color coded line is Take. So data from each zone straddles its color coded line. So he was bad when he took pitches in the heart, and bad when he swung at them in the shadow.
    • Ward is a good option because he’s still playable against RHP’s and is decent defensively. He K’d a lot this year but he doesn’t chase much and his whiff rate is fine. Not sure if he’s available, but Lars Nootbar would be a great option. He’s LH, but he doesn’t chase, doesn’t whiff, walks a ton, is a decent fielder, and is almost as good against LHP’s as RHP’s. He would be a perfect lead off option to allow Gunnar to hit 3rd. 
    • Agree. Eflin and Grayson are likely to miss some time on the IL with something hopefully minor. Suarez is 35 and who knows. No guarantee that Bradish and Wells are options. 
  • Popular Contributors