12 Questions for the Offseason

Warehouse

37 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The number 1 offensive addition needs to be a RH OF. Kjerstad, Mullins and Cowser all LH. It would be nice if Mayo could play an O’Hearn level OF just to spell guys now and then. Not sure how much they want to put on his plate coming off his offensive issues. Sounds like they are committed to him being a 1B. 

If Mayo is on roster you can’t keep both Urias and Mateo unless you move someone. 

Bench could be 

Backup C?

RH OF ?

Mateo

Mayo/ Urias 

Now if they trade someone like Mountcastle or don’t bring back O’Hearn that opens a spot like I said. 

Hyde seems to love Ben Zobrist.   I wonder if the O's might have Westburg add LF to his  2B/3B/SS positions.   Then he could play left field vs left-handed pitching.   He has the speed to play the outfield.   Just a thought.

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hyde seems to love Ben Zobrist.   I wonder if the O's might have Westburg add LF to his  2B/3B/SS positions.   Then he could play left field vs left-handed pitching.   He has the speed to play the outfield.   Just a thought.

I’m guessing no. Too good this young. I do think they could use Mateo in a role like that - I know his bat isn’t good. 

I do wonder if they would want Mateo and/or Mayo to get legit reps in the OF in the spring. Could use them as your “5th” OF. O’Hearn as your 5/6 OF as well. 

I thought the Zobrist comment was telling. He talked about the impact he had on their young hitters with RISP. Sounds like he wouldn’t mind adding a veteran bat in the lineup. The FA market for RH OF bats is basically T Hernandez bad T O’Neill 

Guys like Goldschmidt and Justin Turner would be veteran bats with a ton of experience. They are also limited to 1B/DH. Turner could play 3B in an emergency. If they were to deal Mountcastle which I’m not predicting I don’t think they just hand Mayo the job. I bet they add a veteran for insurance. 

On 10/6/2024 at 3:19 PM, Bemorewins said:

Is there any rational reason that payroll shouldn't go up next season? The org hasn't paid ANYONE in almost 10 years and has a multi-billionaire group. If we want to win and get good enough to win a World Series that's what is required.

Payroll will go up.  The wealth of ownership is not much of a factor.  However, I highly doubt these guys are looking to fund a better payroll out of their pocket.  Not saying they wont.  But throughout the league the only teams really doing that are San Diego and the Mets and in both cases, their owner was doing it for health reasons.

And it really didn't work in either case.  The Orioles are going to spend more and the ownership may well invest in ways that increase revenue and unlike the Angelos family, plough that back into the team.  I see no reason why the Orioles cannot support a pretty substantial increase based on current revenues.  Angelos had a top ten payroll as recently as what 2016?  But I highly doubt the multibillion dollar ownership group is simply going to fund out of pocket in excess of revenues.  

I would also say that it categorically NOT required.

I don't even think we are really even looking for different things in the offseason.  But I think you are putting too much weight into what the ownership group might do with their pockets.  It is much more important that they express their desire and willingness to support their GM.  Angelos' family hindered every GM either in telling them what they could or couldn't do or by telling them they could not spend anything.  Those days are over and have nothing to do with the current situation.  

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The number 1 offensive addition needs to be a RH OF. Kjerstad, Mullins and Cowser all LH. It would be nice if Mayo could play an O’Hearn level OF just to spell guys now and then. Not sure how much they want to put on his plate coming off his offensive issues. Sounds like they are committed to him being a 1B. 

If Mayo is on roster you can’t keep both Urias and Mateo unless you move someone. 

Bench could be 

Backup C?

RH OF ?

Mateo

Mayo/ Urias 

Now if they trade someone like Mountcastle or don’t bring back O’Hearn that opens a spot like I said. 

If Mayo is the starting first baseman, as he is likely to be, why can’t you keep Mateo and Urias?

11 hours ago, foxfield said:

Payroll will go up.  The wealth of ownership is not much of a factor.  However, I highly doubt these guys are looking to fund a better payroll out of their pocket.  Not saying they wont.  But throughout the league the only teams really doing that are San Diego and the Mets and in both cases, their owner was doing it for health reasons.

And it really didn't work in either case.  The Orioles are going to spend more and the ownership may well invest in ways that increase revenue and unlike the Angelos family, plough that back into the team.  I see no reason why the Orioles cannot support a pretty substantial increase based on current revenues.  Angelos had a top ten payroll as recently as what 2016?  But I highly doubt the multibillion dollar ownership group is simply going to fund out of pocket in excess of revenues.  

I would also say that it categorically NOT required.

I don't even think we are really even looking for different things in the offseason.  But I think you are putting too much weight into what the ownership group might do with their pockets.  It is much more important that they express their desire and willingness to support their GM.  Angelos' family hindered every GM either in telling them what they could or couldn't do or by telling them they could not spend anything.  Those days are over and have nothing to do with the current situation.  

What's going on with Steve Cohen's health? If his health effected his decisions that's news to me.

Another counterpoint that I would make is that it did not work last season. But this season both teams were much more success in the postseason than the Orioles.

Lastly, our ownership group does not need to operate in excess deficit on a consistent basis. Professional sports is a modern day racket designed for the uber-wealthy (owners) to make money NO MATTER WHAT (irrespective of results/wins & losses). The Baltimore Orioles took in 99 million dollars in profits in 2023.

Rather than them pocketing most of the cash and crying poor (like they did EVERY SINGLE YEAR under John Angelos) what if they like tried to sign players (to real contracts who are difference makers and can actually help the team against the highest level competition in October)? Like really tried to win a World Series rather than nickel and diming their way through another season while keeping the bar low where the expectations are just being "a good winning team" who can qualify for the postseason. That strategy is not working.

When you can't sell out home playoff games, that's a problem. Now you can go and blame the fans if you want to. But the org must figure out how to make the team more relevant in the market place. Playing losing baseball for almost 4 months, having two ultra hyped prospects fail miserably, and then not swinging for the fences at the trade deadline is simply not going to get it done.

On 10/4/2024 at 1:45 PM, btdart20 said:

Given an aversion to a long-term commitment to SPs, is there an appetite for an ultra-high AAV on a short term contract?

Would a Cole or Snell take a 2 year for $(fill in extravagant amount) deal?  Add some options/hedges as needed.

Cole is not available.  He has an opt out if the Yankees don't add a year to his deal at $36 million (2029).  He has 4 more years on his deal, 2025-2028.  If he opts out, he wants a 5 or 6 year deal for more money.  I think he just takes the extra year after his injury plagued year.  

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If Mayo is the starting first baseman, as he is likely to be, why can’t you keep Mateo and Urias?

It's one thing to say that Mayo is targeted to be the O's first baseman at some point and another to say he will be the first baseman on Opening Day.  

If Mayo is to be phased into the 1B job someone else has  be on the team on Opening Day to play 1B.

As a contending team its pretty risky to say that Mayo is ready to be the O's full time 1B on Opening Day.

Just now, wildcard said:

It's one thing to say that Mayo is targeted to be the O's first baseman at some point and another to say he will be the first baseman on Opening Day.  

If Mayo is to be phased into the 1B job someone else has  be on the team on Opening Day to play 1B.

As a contending team its pretty risky to say that Mayo is ready to be the O's full time 1B on Opening Day.

It’s not that risky. But there will be another DH/1B type on the team. My guess is it will be OHearn, as I think Mounty has more trade value and there will be a bigger push to play him at first over Mayo. Mayo needs to play defense, not DH.  OHearn can also “play the OF” if needed.

Urias, Mateo and OHearn are kept for depth to protect against injuries and potential poor play from the kids.

Basallo potentially enters the picture as the year goes on as well.

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo is going to llikely miss the first part of the year and then be limited for much of the year d/t his elbow injury.  I think he won't be able to do much more than DH the early part of the year.  Is he worth signing just for 2025.  Imo, if the O's bring him back, it should be for 2 years.  It could be that Mateo is the backup 1B to Mayo, don't laugh.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mateo is going to llikely miss the first part of the year and then be limited for much of the year d/t his elbow injury.  I think he won't be able to do much more than DH the early part of the year.  Is he worth signing just for 2025.  Imo, if the O's bring him back, it should be for 2 years.  It could be that Mateo is the backup 1B to Mayo, don't laugh.

I don’t think we have heard that at all. I believe Elias said that Mateo should be a full go for ST.

If what you are saying is accurate, I would agree it’s not worth keeping him around. I just don’t think it’s accurate.

50 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What's going on with Steve Cohen's health? If his health effected his decisions that's news to me.

Another counterpoint that I would make is that it did not work last season. But this season both teams were much more success in the postseason than the Orioles.

Lastly, our ownership group does not need to operate in excess deficit on a consistent basis. Professional sports is a modern day racket designed for the uber-wealthy (owners) to make money NO MATTER WHAT (irrespective of results/wins & losses). The Baltimore Orioles took in 99 million dollars in profits in 2023.

Rather than them pocketing most of the cash and crying poor (like they did EVERY SINGLE YEAR under John Angelos) what if they like tried to sign players (to real contracts who are difference makers and can actually help the team against the highest level competition in October)? Like really tried to win a World Series rather than nickel and diming their way through another season while keeping the bar low where the expectations are just being "a good winning team" who can qualify for the postseason. That strategy is not working.

When you can't sell out home playoff games, that's a problem. Now you can go and blame the fans if you want to. But the org must figure out how to make the team more relevant in the market place. Playing losing baseball for almost 4 months, having two ultra hyped prospects fail miserably, and then not swinging for the fences at the trade deadline is simply not going to get it done.

I twisted something and included Cohen.  That's my bad.  And I agree with almost all of this.  My post was more on tying the uber wealth of current ownership to simply having the ability to spend to any level.  The Orioles ownership group is one of the most powerful in all of sports.  I think they will make the Orioles more profitable and I think those profits will be reinvested in a way previous ownership did not.

I do not anticipate, but would wildly applaud, ownership funding talent/salary increases out of pocket.  Thanks for the well articulated response.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not that risky. But there will be another DH/1B type on the team. My guess is it will be OHearn, as I think Mounty has more trade value and there will be a bigger push to play him at first over Mayo. Mayo needs to play defense, not DH.  OHearn can also “play the OF” if needed.

Urias, Mateo and OHearn are kept for depth to protect against injuries and potential poor play from the kids.

Basallo potentially enters the picture as the year goes on as well.

Mountcastle is much better than O'Hearn as a defensive 1B.   That is probably important with Holliday just learning 2B and Gunnar as a high error SS.