Elias: It's on me

wildcard

Just watched Elias post season press conference for the third time.  The man is impressive

1). We did not me expectations and that is on me (Elias).

2) I/We will do everything we can to make sure that does not happen again.

3) " I am commit to the young core of this team."   So who is the young core and what does that mean for 2025?

Gunnar SS, Adley C,  Westburg 2B/3B,  Cowser OF........ready but not established - Kjerstad RF.

Part of the core but not nessarily on open day -  Holliday 2B,   Mayo 1B/DH.    Basallo in 2026.

That is 7 players for most of 2025.     They is not be traded.  They will be built around in my guess.

The open spots are LF/CF and DH/1B.  Plus who begins the season at  1B and 2B. Plus the bench.

LF/CF -  Mullins make sense here but in not a lock.   He adds steals, speed and defense.    Not a long term player but a he does fit for. 2025.  Or the O's could put Cowser In CF and acquire a better hitting, fast LFer.

DH/1B - This is where I could see the O's adding and experience slugger.   Someone that lead the O's in the post season.    Goldschmidt?   Alonso?   I don't know who but this is the spot I see so far.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just watched Elias post season press conference for the third time.  The man is impressive

3) " I am commit to the young core of this team."   So who is the young core and what does that mean for 2025?

Gunnar SS, Adley C,  Westburg 2B/3B,  Cowser OF........ready but not established - Kjerstad RF.

Part of the core but not nessarily on open day -  Holliday 2B,   Mayo 1B/DH.    Basallo in 2026.

That is 7 players for most of 2025.     They is not be traded.  They will be built around in my guess.

The open spots are LF/CF and DH/1B.  Plus who begins the season at  1B and 2B. Plus the bench.

LF/CF -  Mullins make sense here but in not a lock.   He adds steals, speed and defense.    Not a long term player but a he does fit for. 2025.  Or the O's could put Cowser In CF and acquire a better hitting, fast LFer.

DH/1B - This is where I could see the O's adding and experience slugger.   Someone that lead the O's in the post season.    Goldschmidt?   Alonso?   I don't know who but this is the spot I see so far.

Agree on the experienced slugger for DH/1B. Let Mayo take his lumps at 1B while having the safety net of a FA bat to potentially offset any productivity.

maybe even keep O’Hearn as a platoon with Mayo. 

This almost makes too much sense that I can be sure it won’t happen. 

Elias has said that he and his staff are (or will be) making an exhaustive inquiry to identify the sources of this team's underperformance -- which I take to mean not just the playoff defeats, but also the underperformance during the second half of the sentence. Sounds good. 

But at the same time, before that investigation has gotten underway, Elias has announced that Hyde will be back next year. I believe many of the criticisms of Hyde's in-game decisions, lack of fire, failure to take action in response to boneheaded baserunning, etc., etc. -- including my own -- have been exaggerated. But Hyde does seem, to me anyway, to have shortcomings as a manager. I really don't know whether any of this team's problems could be alleviated by bringing in a new manager with qualities that Hyde lacks. But if Elias is serious about a top-to-bottom review of the team's weaknesses and ways that those weaknesses might be improved on, shouldn't the manager's stewardship  be among the subjects considered? It appears that Elias intends to scrutinize and look for constructive changes throughout the organization. Except the manager. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

IMO Goldschmidt and Alonso are not equivalents as players at this point. Goldschmidt is much closer to done and I would stay far away from him. We need at least one good/impactful veteran hitter. Not somebody who used to be good. 

• Upvote 1