Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

There is only one glimmer of hope in the articles I've read...

Boras said, "The one thing that is clear is that the Wieters family is not seeking a new draft position. They are only seeking values that have been paid before in the draft."

To me this means Wieters WANTS to sign, he just also WANTS the money he thinks he deserves. Maybe they are just playing hardball and will eventually sign at the 11th hour? Or maybe MacFail is a grade A a-hole and won't give him anything remotely close to what he deserves, in which case I am "stick a fork in me" DONE with this franchise!:mad:

That wasn't a glimmer of hope to me.

The Detroit signing of the 27th pick probably hurts us big time.

Detroit paying THAT MUCH for the 27th pick gives Wieters/Boras a sense of entitlement to their demands and the confidence to stand their ground.

Unfortunately, you have two sides (Boras, PA) who have never negotiated well and are both stubborn.

Our only hope is that Wieters blinks because he wants to start playing pro ball now.

Or McPhail blinks because he realizes how important this pick is to the morale of the fanbase and organization.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That wasn't a glimmer of hope to me.

The Detroit signing of the 27th pick probably hurts us big time.

Detroit paying THAT MUCH for the 27th pick gives Wieters/Boras a sense of entitlement to their demands and the confidence to stand their ground.

Unfortunately, you have two sides (Boras, PA) who have never negotiated well and are both stubborn.

Our only hope is that Wieters blinks because he wants to start playing pro ball now.

Or McPhail blinks because he realizes how important this pick is to the morale of the fanbase and organization.

Does anyone have an inside source that can tell MacPhail just HOW important this signing is? Tell him this...If you fail to sign Wieters, your 20,000 loyal fans remaining will be GONE as well!

Does anyone have an inside source that can tell MacPhail just HOW important this signing is? Tell him this...If you fail to sign Wieters, your 20,000 loyal fans remaining will be GONE as well!

He may just not give two *****. If he really cares about getting the the support of the fans back, he'll get this done, otherwise he's a liar...

I said it before I will say it again:

Weiters has yet to sign an agent.

He is a junior and has another year of eligibility left.

He will most likely be the #1 or #2 pick next year.

Someone said he wouldn't want to spend his 20's playing for Tampa Bay. Well do the math....make millions more and live in Florida or make millions less and sign this year. Your 21 years old, what would you do?

This front office is as inept as they come. They have slowly taken what was once a proud franchise and turned it into the laughing stock of the majors. Why? Well one, their fans are loyal to a fault. For years and years they didn't have to make excuses why things didn't get done, their fans did it for them. Now, with the MASN contract they are making money even if 8,000 people show up to watch the game. Angelos and crew are masters at lip service but terrible at execution.

I would not be surprised in the least if this deal didn't get done. And for those that said the deal is done they were just asked to keep it a secret so it didn't affect others negotiations.....well Detroit just blew that theory out of the water.

The value of this compensation pick will certainly be hurt if several of these teams don't sign their own first rounders. As I understand it, teams get a comensation pick one spot lower than the draft pick that they used to draft the player that they did not sign.

This will impact directly the draft pick the Orioles will have as a result of the 2007 season. I see it like this if all current unsigned players don't sign. Parentheses for current 2007 standings which are subject to change...

1st - 2007 worst record (Devil Rays)

2nd - D-Rays Comp pick for David Price

3rd - Royals Comp pick for Mike Moustakas

4th - Cubs Comp pick for Josh Vitters

5th - 2007 2nd worst record (Pirates)

6th - O's Comp pick for Matt Wieters

7th - 2007 3rd worst record (Reds)

8th - 2007 4th worst record (Giants)

9th - Rockies Comp pick for Casey Weathers

10th - D-Backs Comp pick for Jarrod Parker

11th - Giants Comp pick for Madison Bumgardner

12th - Mariners Comp pick for Phillip Aumont

13th - Marlins Comp pick for Matt Dominguez

14th - 2007 5th worst record (Rangers)

15th - 2007 6th worst record (Royals)

16th - 2007 7th worst record (Nationals)

17th - 2007 8th worst record (O's or White Sox)

18th - Rangers Comp pick for Blake Beaven

19th - Cardinals Comp pick for Peter Kozma

20th - Phillies Comp pick for Joe Savery

21st - 2007 9th worst record (O's or White Sox)

This is all very subject to change based on who signs and and how the season finishes out but the O's top ten pick for next year could be lower than the 20th pick.

PUMA

It means he's an agent without that title so he can go back to college next year if he wants to. Which, IMO, is a bunch of crap.

The Orioles should call out Boras for this, IMO for subverting NCAA rules.

That would make Wieters ineligible, right?

It means he's an agent without that title so he can go back to college next year if he wants to. Which, IMO, is a bunch of crap.

Yeah, it does seem pretty sketchy. Maybe we could sign Wieters if Angelos gets an injunction, takes it to court, and claim that Wieters should no longer have amateur status!

Archived