Snell vs Burnes

Sports Guy

Snell vs Burnes  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which deal would you prefer?

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Sasaki is still pretty far away from full free agency so he would have to be posted by his current team, and given his age and ability, he's definitely going to get upwards of $300 million from some big market team like Yamamoto did.

Sugano's advanced age and middling velocity make him uninteresting to me as anything except a second SP acquisition for the back of the rotation after a Burnes/Snell TOR type SP.

I rather have Burnes or Snell ( both if we can) and get Sugano as 4th or 5th starter . 
Sassaki sounds great but I don’t think his price would fit well with us 

18 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I rather have Burnes or Snell ( both if we can) and get Sugano as 4th or 5th starter . 
Sassaki sounds great but I don’t think his price would fit well with us 

My guess is that Elias currently views the 2025 rotation as 4/5 full, with Eflin, GrayRod, Kremer, and Rogers, and that he is only planning to add one established SP, albeit somebody of the TOR type, i.e. Burnes, Snell, Fried, Crochet, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

My guess is that Elias currently views the 2025 rotation as 4/5 full, with Eflin, GrayRod, Kremer, and Rogers, and that he is only planning to add one established SP, albeit somebody of the TOR type, i.e. Burnes, Snell, Fried, Crochet, etc.

If the rotation is 4/5 full he still needs at least three more arms.

I don't want to go into the season fewer than 7/5th full.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If the rotation is 4/5 full he still needs at least three more arms.

I don't want to go into the season fewer than 7/5th full.

Povich, McDermott, and maybe Young would be those other three, at least as of right now.

I myself would like two established, quality SPs added to the OD rotation, but that is probably wishful thinking.

I voted Snell for the pure stuff and I totally get everyone who said to stick with Burnes. 

It's not my money but I also want to quickly jump on the "Why not Sign Both?!" bandwagon. But with one caveat...Re-sign McCann. He is the tough vet in the dugout and clubhouse that commands respect. He seemed to be trusted by the pitching staff and should continue to get the most out of pitchers when it's time for Adley to rest or DH. We don't need to spend major money on the offense but we do need leadership in the clubhouse. Losing Santander is mitigated by McCann's leadership and Kjerstad's 30 homers (that he will hit next year. Writing it in pen.) 

2 minutes ago, Os Fever said:

I voted Snell for the pure stuff and I totally get everyone who said to stick with Burnes. 

It's not my money but I also want to quickly jump on the "Why not Sign Both?!" bandwagon. But with one caveat...Re-sign McCann. He is the tough vet in the dugout and clubhouse that commands respect. He seemed to be trusted by the pitching staff and should continue to get the most out of pitchers when it's time for Adley to rest or DH. We don't need to spend major money on the offense but we do need leadership in the clubhouse. Losing Santander is mitigated by McCann's leadership and Kjerstad's 30 homers (that he will hit next year. Writing it in pen.) 

Because then we would have around $80-90 million of our 2025 payroll devoted to just three SPs (Eflin is due $18 million in 2025), and like $70 million devoted to just two SPs for 2026-2028. 

Unless Rubenstein plans to run $150+ million payrolls every single year, I think that is probably too much money tied up on too few pieces.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think Elias sees it 4/5 full too.  But Povich as #4.  And agree he's looking for 1 established SP.  (But the guy could be more Gibson/IP eater than we hope.)  A vet reclamation to stash in AAA probably too.

X factor for Snell is how many years?  Because the years seem more of an issue for Elias/Sig.