Do the Orioles need someone like Machado?

Gurgi

We need someone like Alonso. The opposite of our guys in that he performs his best when the lights are brightest. Look at his playoff performance this year and his home run derby heroics as compared to Gunnar and Adley when the lights are brightest. 

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

A very emotionally explosive player that will punch people right in the face?  I fear we are filled with too many mega religious Lego playing softie white bread error machines.  What is the saying about nice guys finish last?  Frank Robinson was famous for being rough.  83 team was famous for being fun and great team mates but no one ever said they were just a bunch of super nice guys.  

I would rather be winning playoff games and be thought of as a bunch of douche bags than keep losing.  I want to be the 86 Mets not this clown show we have.  

I guess we need some more cocaine if we are going to be the 86 Mets.  This team is soft soft soft like baby poop.  

Hyde cant be the guy to lead us anywhere.  Get a Davey Johnson or a Billy Martin.  

I would have loved to have seen Terry Francona here but I thought he was done with managing with his health issues the guy is a winner  I'm also realistic to know  that this team wasn't letting go of Hyde hell they haven't even let any coaches go sadly.

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

Honestly had hard time sleeping last night so I did in fact take something to help.  It helped going to sleep but I woke up grouchy.  I am not so sure why I feel so down about the Orioles when we have three straight winning seasons and I would of gave my pinky finger to do that four years ago.  But this laying down and quietly exiting the playoffs never once getting a lead and never looking good it mentally tough.  

People like to take narratives from the playoffs.  I understand the reason they want to do so, but I am a card-carrying member of the club that says there are no narratives to be made.  The baseball playoffs are mostly random.  The winners are mostly random.  If you gave me a choice beforehand that my team could either play a bit better or get lucky, I'd take the luck 100 times out of 100.

I point to the Nationals and their WS run.  Flags fly forever, they came through when it counted, etc.  The only reason they won their WC game is because a Brewers OF-er let a ball go under his glove.  He makes that very routine play, there's a good chance the Nationals don't even make it to the LDS.  And the narrative is that they were a talented bunch of guys that never got it done.

I don't really question our guys' heart, moxie, intestinal fortitude, whatever you want to call it.  A frustrating as the last two Octobers have been they don't mean much to me moving forward.  I'm far more concerned about the lengthy run of poor play from July-September, but even that can be largely explained away by injuries.

The future is still very bright, despite the temptation to draw narratives from the SSS playoff series.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

I would have loved to have seen Terry Francona here but I thought he was done with managing with his health issues the guy is a winner  I'm also realistic to know  that this team wasn't letting go of Hyde hell they haven't even let any coaches go sadly.

Tito has had his share of health issues over the years but I think he loves working with younger players.  You see when he got out of Philadelphia, Boston and Cleveland, that they were getting older and more established.  

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

People like to take narratives from the playoffs.  I understand the reason they want to do so, but I am a card-carrying member of the club that says there are no narratives to be made.  The baseball playoffs are mostly random.  The winners are mostly random.  If you gave me a choice beforehand that my team could either play a bit better or get lucky, I'd take the luck 100 times out of 100.

I point to the Nationals and their WS run.  Flags fly forever, they came through when it counted, etc.  The only reason they won their WC game is because a Brewers OF-er let a ball go under his glove.  He makes that very routine play, there's a good chance the Nationals don't even make it to the LDS.  And the narrative is that they were a talented bunch of guys that never got it done.

I don't really question our guys' heart, moxie, intestinal fortitude, whatever you want to call it.  A frustrating as the last two Octobers have been they don't mean much to me moving forward.  I'm far more concerned about the lengthy run of poor play from July-September, but even that can be largely explained away by injuries.

The future is still very bright, despite the temptation to draw narratives from the SSS playoff series.

This is key to note that anything can happen when you put the ball into play, and it goes back to what I’ve thought this entire time the past two playoff series.  You can absolutely win regular season games playing for the three outcomes, but when it comes time for the playoffs, you have to be able to situationally hit, move runners and put the ball into play.  

Not everyone needs to be Luis Arraez, but you absolutely need a couple of those guys in your lineup to help move things along, and your star players need to be adept at playing that role when it’s needed.  

You just can’t have your top five guys in your lineup in a two game playoff series strike out 16 times.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

This is key to note that anything can happen when you put the ball into play, and it goes back to what I’ve thought this entire time the past two playoff series.  You can absolutely win regular season games playing for the three outcomes, but when it comes time for the playoffs, you have to be able to situationally hit, move runners and put the ball into play.  

Not everyone needs to be Luis Arraez, but you absolutely need a couple of those guys in your lineup to help move things along, and your star players need to be adept at playing that role when it’s needed.  

You just can’t have your top five guys in your lineup in a two game playoff series strike out 16 times.  

I don't disagree with that, and IMO it is a hole in the thinking of Elias/Sig/whoever.

On the macro level - across a full season - I don't doubt that playing for the long ball and seeking exit velocity will lead to more runs and more wins.

But yes, on a more micro level, I do wonder if those individual skills are being neglected in our instructional levels.  I don't know that they are and I don't know that they aren't, but the entire 2nd half of the season seemed to be a clinic on how NOT to have good situational hitting. 

21 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree in principle, but when the "narrative" from this postseason revolves the utter, pathetic lack of clutch hitting... that was not confined to the small sample size of two postseason games.   It was a direct continuation of much of the last two months of the season, and I think there IS something that can be taken from that.   Whether it is an issue of player maturity, lack of veterans to help players experiencing rough patches for the first time in their lives, an imposed organizational hitting philosophy that isn't flexible enough to help players adjust when in a slump, a basic hitting approach that needs to be changed, or whatever -- the narrative is NOT just drawn from those two games but from the last month and a half of the season as well.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I agree in principle, but when the "narrative" from this postseason revolves the utter, pathetic lack of clutch hitting... that was not confined to the small sample size of two postseason games.   It was a direct continuation of much of the last two months of the season, and I think there IS something that can be taken from that.   Whether it is an issue of player maturity, lack of veterans to help players experiencing rough patches for the first time in their lives, an imposed organizational hitting philosophy that isn't flexible enough to help players adjust when in a slump, a basic hitting approach that needs to be changed, or whatever -- the narrative is NOT just drawn from those two games but from the last month and a half of the season as well.

Right.  I did allude to that.  The playoffs were a cherry on top to a very frustrating 2-3 months of baseball, especially on the offensive side.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Great post. 

2 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Belle and Sosa were the straws that broke my back and made me quit watching. Signing a C@#T like Machado would do it again.

Machado has been heavily involved in the projects of the Peter Seidler Legacy Fund, created in December 2023 following the passing of the Padres’ owner to continue serving the communities Seidler dedicated his own charitable efforts to. Machado has worked since then to aid in the development of the San Diego Rescue Mission South County Lighthouse, a shelter providing those experiencing homelessness with trauma-informed care. In partnership with the Padres, Machado also created a program to encourage higher school attendance rates in the San Diego Unified School District and regularly hosts children from underserved communities at Petco Park to watch batting practice and meet Padres players.