Offseason Trade Pondering

Roll Tide

25 minutes ago, theobird said:

What do you think Crochet would cost in prospects? I’m guessing that the prospect pipeline would take a major hit.

I’m guessing they ask for Mayo or Basallo of Kjerstad. For me …I’d give them Kjerstad since he’s defensively challenged IMO.

Maybe Kjerstad, McDermott, Beavers, and O’Ferrall? 

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don’t see Elias trading off prospects anymore at least top guys.  We have moved a few guys in last year and I expect they try to build that back up.  They should have money to use if they want to add talent.  

This what I think happens too.  We'll trade from the FV 40ish tier not the 45 or higher tier.  And I can see dealing from the top ofthe deck (i.e. Mounty, Urias, Kremer*...) to build the ceiling of the pipeljne or weaker/thinner positions. 

*A Kremer based deal would be predicated on an FA SP signing.  I don't see it happening but it's an interesting case study.

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don’t see Elias trading off prospects anymore at least top guys.  We have moved a few guys in last year and I expect they try to build that back up.  They should have money to use if they want to add talent.  

I tend to agree with this.  We certainly aren't the best farm system any more and it's time to use Uncle Dave's money some.  I'm in favor of buying the pitching we need.  There are some good FA arms out there.  If there's a bat on another team they want to trade for that's different since the FA position player list isn't good.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He'll go back to pulling pitches and hit 30 HRs there.

Yep.  It’s a perfect park for him. I do feel Mounty has 1 or 2 big years in him. I thought this year would be one of them but no luck there.

That big year may not happen in Camden Yards but I think it happens at some point.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  It’s a perfect park for him. I do feel Mounty has 1 or 2 big years in him. I thought this year would be one of them but no luck there.

That big year may not happen in Camden Yards but I think it happens at some point.

I agree. He’d be a great regular season fit in Cinncy’s ballpark. Maybe that confidence of knowing he can hit the ball out to LF at home covers up his other decencies. 

As for Crochet… can’t we just resign Burnes?  Crochet would probably cost Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo. Didn’t the deadline teach us the cost of pitching?

I’m for trading Mountcastle. I’d hope we can surround the young hitters with a Burnes led staff with adding a vet bat to the DH/1B mix. Other than that, I think we will roll with what we have. And we should. 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. He’d be a great regular season fit in Cinncy’s ballpark. Maybe that confidence of knowing he can hit the ball out to LF at home covers up his other decencies. 

As for Crochet… can’t we just resign Burnes?  Crochet would probably cost Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo. Didn’t the deadline teach us the cost of pitching?

I’m for trading Mountcastle. I’d hope we can surround the young hitters with a Burnes led staff with adding a vet bat to the DH/1B mix. Other than that, I think we will roll with what we have. And we should. 

No one is trading anything close to that for Crochet.

But I agree..spend money, not prospects.

23 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Maybe the Reds have someone we could flip for Mountcastle, along with Kjerstad and another prospect or two (not Holliday, Basallo or Mayo).

I tried to look into this last night, because I was thinking there might be a world where the Reds would also want Mullins, and then we could wheel around and do a Crochet/Robert deal with the White Sox. 

The Reds were 30th in baseball in fWAR from 1B last season, which makes Mountcastle a natural fit there (as the original article suggests). But they were also 26th in fWAR from CF, and there’s no obvious answer there, whether on the MLB roster or in the organization. With Francona coming aboard to try to wrangle all that youth, a couple proven veterans from a successful organization might be a valued addition.

They don’t have a ton of matches for us, necessarily, though RHP Chase Petty probably makes sense as a guy on the same sort of level as McDermott and Povich. They also have a big stuff (and big walk) reliever named Zach Maxwell that I find intriguing for us. What they do have, however, is some younger talent (both IFA and recent US high school draftees) that might be appealing to a team in CWS’s position.

This off season should be about additions via FA moves, and maybe a trade from the "vet" side of the roster. The MiL system is really bare now and will most likely be needed to augment the roster soon. There's some low value players that may be able to be additional pieces in a deal, but this should really be about adding to the roster with FA moves.