How about Christian Walker?

TommyPickles

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Christian Walker mentioned much in the (early) days of this offseason. How about him as a free agent target?

Pros:

-Right handed hitting everyday first baseman

-Won the gold glove the past two years in a row and is once again a finalist this year

-Veteran player with World Series experience

-Averaging .813 OPS and 32 homers a year, over the past three seasons (Santander is averaging a .795 OPS and 30 HR in the same span)

-Is 33 now. Had the best season of his career at 32, so seems to be aging well

-Only projected for a 2-3 year contract 

-Better offensively and defensively than Mountcastle or O'Hearn

Cons:

-Complicates playtime for Mayo, Bassallo, and Rutschman (though, this would be somewhat alleviated if they don't pick up O'Hearn's option and trade Mounty for pitching)

-Kind of old?

-Probably wants to resign with Arizona. Not sure how he feels about coming back to Baltimore.

It would be a bold move, but for the right deal, I could see it. Probably the best bat on the market after Soto and Alonso. Thoughts? 

I see no reason to go after a first baseman unless Mayo is traded.

I get that this board is impatient and I get that Mayo didn’t show well to start his career.

However, he has dominated the minors. He is a top 10 prospect and some of the advanced metric lists have had him in the top 5.

He has monster power, will walk, high EV rates, etc…he is a cost controlled potential superstar level talent.  The Os are not just going to push him aside or have him continue to tear up the minors. It’s time. He has to get everyday at bats.

He needs to work on his swing (less uppercut) and he has to work on his defense at first. That is what the offseason is for. 

You bring back OHearn or Mounty (assumption is Mounty has more value, so trade him) and they are your fall back to Mayo.  You also have Kjerstad practice a lot with the first base mitt in the offseason and eventually, Basallo likely comes into play.

And that’s the other part to this…you don’t block Basallo. 

I know people are tired of the young guys but the reality is that these are the best prospects in the sport. They have done everything asked of them at the minor league level. You have to create space for them unless you trade them…and maybe that’s what some want but be careful what you wish for.

• Upvote 2

I have always liked Christian Walker. I didn't like it when the O's lost him on waivers. Ironically, IIFC the knock on him was no power. I know that two other teams gave up on him after the O's. Anyway, I am torn between signing him and letting Mayo play 1B and seeing what happens. I am not worried about the regular season. I think they are good enough to make it in. The postseason is the issue and Walker would be a good been there and done that veteran leader. 

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

I have always liked Christian Walker. I didn't like it when the O's lost him on waivers. Ironically, IIFC the knock on him was no power. I know that two other teams gave up on him after the O's. Anyway, I am torn between signing him and letting Mayo play 1B and seeing what happens. I am not worried about the regular season. I think they are good enough to make it in. The postseason is the issue and Walker would be a good been there and done that veteran leader. 

I was always a Walker guy over Mancini. Mancini made that look foolish early on but Walker has easily been the better player.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I see no reason to go after a first baseman unless Mayo is traded.

I get that this board is impatient and I get that Mayo didn’t show well to start his career.

However, he has dominated the minors. He is a top 10 prospect and some of the advanced metric lists have had him in the top 5.

He has monster power, will walk, high EV rates, etc…he is a cost controlled potential superstar level talent.  The Os are not just going to push him aside or have him continue to tear up the minors. It’s time. He has to get everyday at bats.

He needs to work on his swing (less uppercut) and he has to work on his defense at first. That is what the offseason is for. 

You bring back OHearn or Mounty (assumption is Mounty has more value, so trade him) and they are your fall back to Mayo.  You also have Kjerstad practice a lot with the first base mitt in the offseason and eventually, Basallo likely comes into play.

And that’s the other part to this…you don’t block Basallo. 

I know people are tired of the young guys but the reality is that these are the best prospects in the sport. They have done everything asked of them at the minor league level. You have to create space for them unless you trade them…and maybe that’s what some want but be careful what you wish for.

Completely fair. And I agree with all of this.

But do you think the O's should add a veteran, impact bat this offseason? If so, who?

Off the top of my head, these are the only six guys who really fit that bill:

Juan Soto

Pete Alonso

Christian Walker

Cody Bellinger (if he opts out)

Anthony Santander

Teoscar Hernandez

I think Soto and Alonso will be too expensive. I think Bellinger won't opt out. I think LA will resign Teoscar Hernandez. So it likely leaves Santander and Walker. I'm still down to resign Santander. But given this context, I think Walker merits consideration.

I'd be nervous about letting Santander walk and not adding any significant bats. 

Just now, TommyPickles said:

Completely fair. And I agree with all of this.

But do you think the O's should add a veteran, impact bat this offseason? If so, who?

Off the top of my head, these are the only six guys who really fit that bill:

Juan Soto

Pete Alonso

Christian Walker

Cody Bellinger (if he opts out)

Anthony Santander

Teoscar Hernandez

I think Soto and Alonso will be too expensive. I think Bellinger won't opt out. I think LA will resign Teoscar Hernandez. So it likely leaves Santander and Walker. I'm still down to resign Santander. But given this context, I think Walker merits consideration.

I'd be nervous about letting Santander walk and not adding any significant bats. 

Soto would be the only guy they there that even  remotely interests me.  I don’t even offer contracts to others except the QO to Santander.

I don’t think the offense needs major changes. I think we need to bring in 1-2 RH bats.

I think Mounty needs to be dealt and then a decision on Mullins needs to be made. I would rather see Mullins traded than kept but that also depends on the teams ability to add a good defensive CFer or LFer. If you can trade Mullins and add McCormick, I’m good with that.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's right, you have to be careful for what you wish for.  And that also includes the idea that we can open up all the spots for the young guys and some of them might not pan out.  

I'm not predicting that  anyone specifically will NOT work out.  And as disappointing as Holliday and Mayo were this year at the ML level, I'm in agreement that spaces need to be created for them.  I'm not pointing at any specific player here, but it's not a foregone conclusion that they're all going to end up being good to great ML players. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Soto would be the only guy they there that even  remotely interests me.  I don’t even offer contracts to others except the QO to Santander.

I don’t think the offense needs major changes. I think we need to bring in 1-2 RH bats.

I think Mounty needs to be dealt and then a decision on Mullins needs to be made. I would rather see Mullins traded than kept but that also depends on the teams ability to add a good defensive CFer or LFer. If you can trade Mullins and add McCormick, I’m good with that.

I think what they do about Mullins largely rests on how Bradfield looks next year.  If Bradfield produces, I can see Mullins being dealt at the deadline.  Or Bradfield is the 4th outfielder into August and September and Mullins is gone in the next offseason, Bradfield is the OD CF in 2026.

39 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen Christian Walker mentioned much in the (early) days of this offseason. How about him as a free agent target?

Pros:

-Right handed hitting everyday first baseman

-Won the gold glove the past two years in a row and is once again a finalist this year

-Veteran player with World Series experience

-Averaging .813 OPS and 32 homers a year, over the past three seasons (Santander is averaging a .795 OPS and 30 HR in the same span)

-Is 33 now. Had the best season of his career at 32, so seems to be aging well

-Only projected for a 2-3 year contract 

-Better offensively and defensively than Mountcastle or O'Hearn

Cons:

-Complicates playtime for Mayo, Bassallo, and Rutschman (though, this would be somewhat alleviated if they don't pick up O'Hearn's option and trade Mounty for pitching)

-Kind of old?

-Probably wants to resign with Arizona. Not sure how he feels about coming back to Baltimore.

It would be a bold move, but for the right deal, I could see it. Probably the best bat on the market after Soto and Alonso. Thoughts? 

He is going to cost a draft pick and isn't enough of an upgrade over Mountcastle to be worth that draft pick, so no thanks.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's right, you have to be careful for what you wish for.  And that also includes the idea that we can open up all the spots for the young guys and some of them might not pan out.  

I'm not predicting that  anyone specifically will NOT work out.  And as disappointing as Holliday and Mayo were this year at the ML level, I'm in agreement that spaces need to be created for them.  I'm not pointing at any specific player here, but it's not a foregone conclusion that they're all going to end up being good to great ML players. 

No question and if you want to hedge your bets and trade someone for something you need, so be it.

But signing an aging vet to an expensive deal to block them is an entirely different scenario imo.  That is foolish to me. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think what they do about Mullins largely rests on how Bradfield looks next year.  If Bradfield produces, I can see Mullins being dealt at the deadline.  Or Bradfield is the 4th outfielder into August and September and Mullins is gone in the next offseason, Bradfield is the OD CF in 2026.

Mullins is gone after 2025 either way imo.

The question is does he play for the Orioles in 2025?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No question and if you want to hedge your bets and trade someone for something you need, so be it.

But signing an aging vet to an expensive deal to block them is an entirely different scenario imo.  That is foolish to me. 

Yeah, like I said...I wouldn't be opposed to Walker on a 2 year deal with an option for the 2nd year.  This means Mounty and O'Hearn are gone, too.  

Hoping that offseason programs and whoever the new hitting coach is can really tap into Mayo and Holliday and get them on the right track.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is gone after 2025 either way imo.

The question is does he play for the Orioles in 2025?

I think you're correct here that he's gone after 2025. I would be surprised if he didn't play for the Orioles in 2025.  IMO, the question is if he's gone at the deadline or not.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, like I said...I wouldn't be opposed to Walker on a 2 year deal with an option for the 2nd year.  This means Mounty and O'Hearn are gone, too.  

Hoping that offseason programs and whoever the new hitting coach is can really tap into Mayo and Holliday and get them on the right track.

I think you're correct here that he's gone after 2025. I would be surprised if he didn't play for the Orioles in 2025.  IMO, the question is if he's gone at the deadline or not.

I think that’s likely as well.  They value his defense.

I hate to say it, but all the bats that we need to add are role players.  RHH OF.  Backup C.  Potentially a RHH Corner guy.  We may already have those in house.  Slater, McCann, and Mayo.   

Is Walker really that much of an upgrade over Mounty?

I'd rather we just put all our eggs into signing Burnes.