Would this offseason make you happy or is it not enough?

Sports Guy

In the one thread where I asked where do you believe the Os stand, win wise, right now, the average was in the 84-88 win range.

That is either a team in the playoffs or one that is a borderline playoff team.

Not including any money owed to those off the roster (like Chris Davis), I peg the current payroll to be around 82 million, which does include keeping Mullins and OHearn and trading Mounty.

If the Os did that and added Carson Kelly, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler ONeill and Nick Pivetta(or a similar starter that you may prefer), would you be happy with that offseason or would you feel they didn’t do enough?

I figure that adds around 40M to the payroll.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Os did that and added Carson Kelly, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler ONeill and Nick Pivetta(or a similar starter that you may prefer), would you be happy with that offseason or would you feel they didn’t do enough?

I figure that adds around 40M to the payroll.

I could live with it, but I would not be happy with it.

I want a better SP than Pivetta and don't see any particular reason why we can't get one.

19 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I could live with it, but I would not be happy with it.

I want a better SP than Pivetta and don't see any particular reason why we can't get one.

Take the big 3 available guys out of the equation for a moment, what other available starter would you prefer?

Yeah, I'd be good with that offseason.

I know a lot of people won't and, IMO, thats because there aren't any real big names in there.  But all of those are players that should make a positive impact on the club in 2025.  

It wouldn't be the sexiest offseason ever and I think that's what people really want...WOW offers and big signings....rather than integral pieces that can help the greater sum.  

That offseason would address all the needs...a upper half rotation arm, a key bullpen piece, a backup C that's a step above McCann and a RH hitter that can hit lefties with some pop and play outfield. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be good with that offseason.  

Much like it was folly last year to assume 101 wins as the baseline coming into '24 (due to some regression on unlikely success in close games) I believe it is similar folly to assume that the baseline for next year's team is 91 wins minus Burnes/Santander.  We were relatively lucky in 2023 both injury and otherwise while we were generally unlucky in 2024.  

I believe that the moves you laid out would keep us solidly in the playoffs and the AL East hunt.

Had to browse some baseball reference pages for this one. I guess I'd have mixed feelings.

Tyler O'Neill is better than I thought. .847 OPS and 31 homers last year? 132 OPS+? That's a better OPS+ than Westburg, Adley, or Cowser. Would love to have him.

Pivetta seems like an older version of Kremer to me. Two righties with an identical ERA+ for their careers: 92. Wouldn't be super impressed with this as the only addition to the rotation.  

I'd rather see something like: O'Neill + Fried + resigning McCann for another year

10 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Had to browse some baseball reference pages for this one. I guess I'd have mixed feelings.

Tyler O'Neill is better than I thought. .847 OPS and 31 homers last year? 132 OPS+? That's a better OPS+ than Westburg, Adley, or Cowser. Would love to have him.

Pivetta seems like an older version of Kremer to me. Two righties with an identical ERA+ for their careers: 92. Wouldn't be super impressed with this as the only addition to the rotation.  

I'd rather see something like: O'Neill + Fried + resigning McCann for another year

The idea that Fried is one of the few young guys Atlanta didn’t really push to extend bothers me.

Not only that but he’s a west coast guy and I think he goes out there.

I hope we sign Snell. He is the one I want but I don’t think it happens.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I'd be good with that offseason.  

Much like it was folly last year to assume 101 wins as the baseline coming into '24 (due to some regression on unlikely success in close games) I believe it is similar folly to assume that the baseline for next year's team is 91 wins minus Burnes/Santander.  We were relatively lucky in 2023 both injury and otherwise while we were generally unlucky in 2024.  

I believe that the moves you laid out would keep us solidly in the playoffs and the AL East hunt.

Pivetta has some Eflin like rise in his game.

His biggest issue is homers and he has pitched in 2 homer friendly parks. That may get better for him in OpACy.

Typically, I'd be happy with that offseason, but this offseason is Burnes or bust for me.   

Burnes.  We could even not bring back Soto if we need more salary freed up for 2024.  We could fill out the holes at RP, RHH OF, and backup C, with waiver claims for all I care.  Burnes is a must.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Typically, I'd be happy with that offseason, but this offseason is Burnes or bust for me.   

Burnes.  We could even not bring back Soto if we need more salary freed up for 2024.  We could fill out the holes at RP, RHH OF, and backup C, with waiver claims for all I care.  Burnes is a must.  

You keep saying this yet you ignore everything that says this is false.

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I'd be good with that offseason.

I know a lot of people won't and, IMO, thats because there aren't any real big names in there.  But all of those are players that should make a positive impact on the club in 2025.  

It wouldn't be the sexiest offseason ever and I think that's what people really want...WOW offers and big signings....rather than integral pieces that can help the greater sum.  

That offseason would address all the needs...a upper half rotation arm, a key bullpen piece, a backup C that's a step above McCann and a RH hitter that can hit lefties with some pop and play outfield. 

I know you aren’t a Ravens fan but this is a Ravens-like offseason. Not a big splashy move but it’s a lot of moves that improve on weaknesses while not getting bogged by bad/crippling long term deals. 

I think that is how Elias will attack any offseason he is apart of.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I know you aren’t a Ravens fan but this is a Ravens-like offseason. Not a big splashy move but it’s of moves that improve on weaknesses while not getting bogged by bad/crippling long term deals. 

I think that is how Elias will attack any offseason he is apart of.

I respect the Ravens, for sure.  There's a reason they're always towards the top of the league.

I hope that's how Elias goes about the offseason.