Would this offseason make you happy or is it not enough?

Sports Guy

I’m curious to see how the offensive moves this offseason will play out, especially in regard to Elias comments during the end of season presser.  While it may be just his typical GM speak, Elias did give the impression that his approach to offensive construction may be different.  So how to reconcile that or was it just bluster?  Some have speculated trade off of less K/power for more OBP/speed.  Does that portend to letting Santander move on and then trade Mounty?  RHH OF like O’Neill is kinda in the same power but high swing and miss mold. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

So I guess Kelly to replace McCann, meh

Hoffman, another Phillie reliever that failed in the post season is concerning but a nice upgrade on paper

Tyler O'Neil, I like would be a good fit and replacement/upgrade to Mountcastle

Pivetta doesn't really move the needle, don't really want to be adding #4,#5 guys when we need #1, #2 guys

So not enough

My plan:

1. Sign Willy Adames to take over SS, move Gunnar to 3B, Westburg to 2B, and sure O'Neil for 1B, with O'hearn backup

2. Trade Holliday, Basallo, Mounty, & whatever to get Crochet

3. Sign two Hoffman type relievers

4. Trade Soto, Dominguez for whatever we can get back in very young (upside) pitching depth

Still need an established RHH OF'er in case Kjerstad doesn't cut it

WTF?!?!🤦‍♂️🤣😂

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

In the one thread where I asked where do you believe the Os stand, win wise, right now, the average was in the 84-88 win range.

That is either a team in the playoffs or one that is a borderline playoff team.

Not including any money owed to those off the roster (like Chris Davis), I peg the current payroll to be around 82 million, which does include keeping Mullins and OHearn and trading Mounty.

If the Os did that and added Carson Kelly, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler ONeill and Nick Pivetta(or a similar starter that you may prefer), would you be happy with that offseason or would you feel they didn’t do enough?

I figure that adds around 40M to the payroll.

Would be fine with these moves, but hope this is the floor for the off-season!

Btw, I doubt they would be in on Hoffman.  He probably gets a deal similar to or better than what Stephenson got. They will keep Dominguez and Soto and say that’s enough money in the pen.

It would irritate me if they don’t acquire a high end reliever this offseason.

14 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Would be fine with these moves, but hope this is the floor for the off-season!

The floor for the offseason is,

Eflin, Grayson, Kremer, Suarez, Povich

Bautista, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Coloumbe, Perez, Akin, Soto

1. Cowser LF L

2. Westburg 3B R

3. Gunnar SS L

4. O'Hearn DH L

5. Adley C S

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Heston RF L

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

Mateo, Urias, Hunt, Johnson

Even that floor is still a playoff team IMO.  That lineup is our whole rebuild.  It's time for the guys to produce.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I doubt they would be in on Hoffman.  He probably gets a deal similar to or better than what Stephenson got. They will keep Dominguez and Soto and say that’s enough money in the pen.

It would irritate me if they don’t acquire a high end reliever this offseason.

Agree with this.  Not getting another great bullpen arm this offseason and rolling into 2025 with what we had in 2024 + Bautista isn't ideal.  Need to get someone else and I like the idea of Hoffman.  Haven't looked at the FA list yet to see who else is out there but I'd imagine he'd be at the top of my list or near the top.

6 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

While I am not surprised you would say this, I do wonder why you would say this. Care to provide and explanation for your dysphoria?

Because we are 0-3 and 0-2 in the playoffs the past two years. Nothing that happens this offseason really matters. Ultimately, we have our core players. They need to play better, and they need to play well in October.

Do you think the names being tossed around are really going to make a difference in our '25 season?

We made our commitment to Holliday, Mayo and Bassallo being key pieces to our future at this past deadline. They were the guy who could have been part of a deal to get a proven impact major league player. If they don't turn out to be good mlb players, we are going to hit a wall similar to the White Sox of a couple years ago.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The floor for the offseason is,

Eflin, Grayson, Kremer, Suarez, Povich

Bautista, Cano, Dominguez, Webb, Coloumbe, Perez, Akin, Soto

1. Cowser LF L

2. Westburg 3B R

3. Gunnar SS L

4. O'Hearn DH L

5. Adley C S

6. Mountcastle 1B R

7. Heston RF L

8. Mullins CF L

9. Holliday 2B L

Mateo, Urias, Hunt, Johnson

Even that floor is still a playoff team IMO.  That lineup is our whole rebuild.  It's time for the guys to produce.  

Believe they are a 90 win team now!