Would this offseason make you happy or is it not enough?

Sports Guy

28 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I tend to agree attempting an extension with Henderson would far outweigh any of these moves.  If they signed all four plus extended Henderson I would be overjoyed.

I just don't agree with others saying that its gotta be Burnes/Snell/Fried.  We have no indication that the new ownership is willing to give out those kinds of contracts, especially to pitchers.  I think it is much more likely we trade for someone like Crochet than sign one of those guys.

This team can ill afford to trade more prospects for Crochet. They already unloaded a ton for Burnes, Eflin, Rogers presumably because Elias wasn't allowed to sign multi-year FA contracts to starting pitchers.

We've effectively lost a high upside reliever (Hall), a well rounded utility player (Joey Ortiz), a competitive balance pick for Burnes.

We lost a future starter (Baumeister) and 2 position players (Etzel, Horvath) for Eflin.

We lost a RHH 2B/3B (Norby) and a backup OF (Stowers) for Rogers.

We also traded 2 arms for Soto, one of which was immediately turned into a starter in the minors (Chace).

I'm not saying you shouldn't trade to get better, but it's not sustainable. You have to tap into the FA market or be illustrious in the international market a la the Astros. It's a hell of a lot less risky to, say, sign a starter to a 4-5 year deal than to unload so much of your future multiple times a year (offseason, trade deadline), and Crochet is going to cost a ridiculous amount. 

Crochet has 2 cost controlled years left. That is worth its weight in gold since he has the performance to go along with it. The conversation is going to start w/ Basallo and will require 2-3 others. You want to go that route? 

Edited by LookitsPuck

Yes.  I could maybe quibble with the specific names, but getting this tier of player for SP, RP, OF, and back-up C would be a huge success.  However, I agree with Just Regular that this would be a long shot to line up on.

If you are disappointed, it’s because you want Burnes, Snell, Fried, or Crotchet.  I just don’t see us winning bidding wars for these players. 

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be very happy with any of this.

Even if we can’t get Snell and did a Pivetta and those guys combo, that would be great.

But I think the second starter is the one they already traded for…Rogers.

Agreed Rogers will definitely be in the mix. Just seeing how LAD were decimated by pitching injuries, creating a lot of depth makes the most sense. 

As of now it’s Eflin, Rodriguez, Kremer, Povich andRogers. 

In addition to free agency, ideally we can trade Mountcastle to someone like PIT or CIN for additional starting pitcher depth.

I'd be pretty disappointed. Hoffman and O'Neil would be excellent additions. Gives us a quality arm out of the pen and the RH OF bat we sorely need.

Kelly is meh. Wouldn't mind him but wouldn't be overly excited.

Pivetta would be a pretty substantial disappointment because it would mean we went from Burnes to Pivetta. Going into next year with Eflin, GrayRod, Pivetta, Kremer, Povich doesn't exactly instill confidence. I think Elias has to find a way to get more of a #2 guy (an Eflin/GrayRod level guy would be great), at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Elias would have to win three different bids against 29 other, how does he like to say it, "tough competitors" to get this done.

It would be a pony, but I don't think we're getting a pony.

A lot of O'Neill talk, but Walltimore I think Elias would have to give him a very nice contract.    As a free agent, he is Santander adjacent and if his market is so soft he needs another prove it situation, not even an assured full time job in OPACY probably would be near the bottom of the list.

He posted 30+ in 470 PAs in 2024.  OPACY xHR was still 24 (more than Mounty).

O'Neill feels like there's still a "smartest guy in the room" arbitrage appeal.

I would be content.  Happy is reserved for studs.

I doubt they are really in on Hoffman.  Any $740k back-up C with some type of appeal will do.

O'Neill scratches an itch on a 1-2 year deal.

I do like Pivetta.  But I think the market will be an issue there.  Especially if teams go beyond 3 years.

So I guess Kelly to replace McCann, meh

Hoffman, another Phillie reliever that failed in the post season is concerning but a nice upgrade on paper

Tyler O'Neil, I like would be a good fit and replacement/upgrade to Mountcastle

Pivetta doesn't really move the needle, don't really want to be adding #4,#5 guys when we need #1, #2 guys

So not enough

My plan:

1. Sign Willy Adames to take over SS, move Gunnar to 3B, Westburg to 2B, and sure O'Neil for 1B, with O'hearn backup

2. Trade Holliday, Basallo, Mounty, & whatever to get Crochet

3. Sign two Hoffman type relievers

4. Trade Soto, Dominguez for whatever we can get back in very young (upside) pitching depth

Still need an established RHH OF'er in case Kjerstad doesn't cut it

• Confused 1

I'm fine with those moves.

It would take Burnes, Snell, or Juan Soto to make me really happy though.

What do you all think of Harrison Bader as a RH OF option? I'm not sure we have enough opportunity for him, but he brings strong CF defense and hits lefties around league average.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So I guess Kelly to replace McCann, meh

Hoffman, another Phillie reliever that failed in the post season is concerning but a nice upgrade on paper

Tyler O'Neil, I like would be a good fit and replacement/upgrade to Mountcastle

Pivetta doesn't really move the needle, don't really want to be adding #4,#5 guys when we need #1, #2 guys

So not enough

My plan:

1. Sign Willy Adames to take over SS, move Gunnar to 3B, Westburg to 2B, and sure O'Neil for 1B, with O'hearn backup

2. Trade Holliday, Basallo, Mounty, & whatever to get Crochet

3. Sign two Hoffman type relievers

4. Trade Soto, Dominguez for whatever we can get back in very young (upside) pitching depth

Still need an established RHH OF'er in case Kjerstad doesn't cut it

Okay so I guess O'Neil is a LF'er, although defensive metrics look shaky so I guess he is the Santander replacement in RF, so assuming we don't sign Mountcastle I would still like a RHH with good OBP skill for backup, and we would have to cross our fingers on Mayo being the RHH 1B. 

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

In the one thread where I asked where do you believe the Os stand, win wise, right now, the average was in the 84-88 win range.

That is either a team in the playoffs or one that is a borderline playoff team.

Not including any money owed to those off the roster (like Chris Davis), I peg the current payroll to be around 82 million, which does include keeping Mullins and OHearn and trading Mounty.

If the Os did that and added Carson Kelly, Jeff Hoffman, Tyler ONeill and Nick Pivetta(or a similar starter that you may prefer), would you be happy with that offseason or would you feel they didn’t do enough?

I figure that adds around 40M to the payroll.

Reasonable.  Not blown away, but content.

Here's something to consider,

There's multiple SP that have or will start in the ALCS/NLCS that this board would not be happy with.  It's a tough crowd.  Boyd, Cobb, Severino, Quintana...  That doesn't even take into account the relievers and dudes like Jose Iglesias, and etc...

I can't really say too much, because I think it's Burnes or bust.   Gotta go for the WS.  The AL was wide open this year with no HOU/TEX/TB.  

Edited by sportsfan8703