I was never big on 'Speed Racer', but I had to go there with the title. :D

Based on the following choices being made in the top four, who would YOU pick at 5?

1. Washington> Stephen Strasburg, RHP

2. Seattle> Grant Green, SS

3. San Diego> Tyler Matzek, LHP

4. Pittsburgh> Dustin Ackley, 1B/2B/OF

5. Baltimore>

It's very early obviously, but take a stab at it... :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was never big on 'Speed Racer', but I had to go there with the title. :D

Based on the following choices being made in the top four, who would YOU pick at 5?

1. Washington> Stephen Strasburg, RHP

2. Seattle> Grant Green, SS

3. San Diego> Tyler Matzek, LHP

4. Pittsburgh> Dustin Ackley, 1B

5. Baltimore>

It's very early obviously, but take a stab at it... :)

:eek: Those are all of the guys I'd like the Orioles to draft!

But I guess Alex White would be a good pick. Aaron Crow wouldn't be too bad either.

Of course you had to make it difficult didn't you?

I'll let you know in 2 months, but as of right now I take Gibson.

Crow - well we all know about that guy. Talent is there, but I worry about the layoff and the botched negotiation last year.

Davidson - warrants consideration but reminds me of Rowell just a bit which scares me.

Purke - I would be fine with in a couple more picks, but I don't know about #5, could be talked into it.

Gibson isn't even a sure bet for me, seems like yet another in the mold of a #3 starter ceiling, but is putting up similar to Crow numbers in his slot right now, and still has room to add muscle and velocity.

:eek: Those are all of the guys I'd like the Orioles to draft!

But I guess Alex White would be a good pick. Aaron Crow wouldn't be too bad either.

White seems most likely under this scenario. However, Crow/Gibson, and a few HS arms (Purke/Skaggs/Turner/Miller) could jump into the equation by June.

I am impressed by the number of good pitchers this year, but would prefer an infield bat... most would I think. ;)

I would say White, but I want to wait until I see him live in May. I'll stick with Matt Davidson, who was my #5 pre-season (I think).

I'm with you. I don't like what I'm seeing of his numbers so far this season, but the only way to know for sure what it is is to see it in person. Could just be a pressure thing, could be something wrong physically, could just be a rough patch.

I like Davidson a lot, I just keep having visions of another HS 3B that didn't stick at 3rd for us. After the top 4, I have about 7 players bunched together and haven't seen anyone really distance themselves yet.

Of course you had to make it difficult didn't you?

I'll let you know in 2 months, but as of right now I take Gibson.

Crow - well we all know about that guy. Talent is there, but I worry about the layoff and the botched negotiation last year.

Davidson - warrants consideration but reminds me of Rowell just a bit which scares me.

Purke - I would be fine with in a couple more picks, but I don't know about #5, could be talked into it.

Gibson isn't even a sure bet for me, seems like yet another in the mold of a #3 starter ceiling, but is putting up similar to Crow numbers in his slot right now, and still has room to add muscle and velocity.

Naturally. :D

After the top three it gets more difficult. Matzek is far from a sure-fire top 5 guy, although he still has a good shot. With him gone it gets even dicier.

As you say, we'll have a much better feel in a few weeks.

I'm with you. I don't like what I'm seeing of his numbers so far this season, but the only way to know for sure what it is is to see it in person. Could just be a pressure thing, could be something wrong physically, could just be a rough patch.

I like Davidson a lot, I just keep having visions of another HS 3B that didn't stick at 3rd for us. After the top 4, I have about 7 players bunched together and haven't seen anyone really distance themselves yet.

It's really thin up top, and then a bunch of players that I could slot anywhere from 5-25, with more that I could see dropping or jumping up.

My favorite college pitcher so far this year has actually been Mike Leake. He was filthy against USC -- I see Oswalt potential (not projecting it yet, but I see the potential).

Naturally. :D

After the top three it gets more difficult. Matzek is far from a sure-fire top 5 guy, although he still has a good shot. With him gone it gets even dicier.

As you say, we'll have a much better feel in a few weeks.

Yeah, for me it's 1-2-3.....4....5a-5b-5c-5d...

This time of year is always the worst for me, you start getting so anxious for someone to make that leap, and then like 7 of them start making moves all at the same time.

It's really thin up top, and then a bunch of players that I could slot anywhere from 5-25, with more that I could see dropping or jumping up.

My favorite college pitcher so far this year has actually been Mike Leake. He was filthy against USC -- I see Oswalt potential (not projecting it yet, but I see the potential).

Yeah, he's really been moving up for me too, I have him right behind Gibson and ahead of White for me as far as college pitchers go.

Not so sure what people see in White. He's struggled with his command this year and hasn't really dominated anybody save for that one game vs. Miami. Leake and Gibson are better picks IMO...

However Purke or Matzek make the most sense if you are going with a pitcher, given the risk.

Archived