What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

BB shouldn't have faced Cano in the 7th.

Why even start him for the 7th? The kid went 6 innings and gave up only 2 runs and escaped a jam in the 6th. You could see that he was tiring, you then have a few lefties due up in the 7th with Walker warming in the pen. Don't agree with his decision there.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why even start him for the 7th? The kid went 6 innings and gave up only 2 runs and escaped a jam in the 6th. You could see that he was tiring, you then have a few lefties due up in the 7th with Walker warming in the pen. Don't agree with his decision there.

Yea, I can go with this...But as soon as the 3rd walk in less than 2 innings happened, he should have been pulled.

I guarantee that if he DOESN'T start the seventh that you see someone on here saying that he should've started the seventh.

The mistake is Ray. Ray has just been owned by the Yankees his entire career.

I guarantee that if he DOESN'T start the seventh that you see someone on here saying that he should've started the seventh.

I could go either way on him starting the 7th or not...But as soon as someone got on, especially via another walk, DT should have pulled him.

And when he does take him out he brings in Ray, why would he not bring in Baez or Johnson in an important spot rather than they guy who has not been effective.

Ray had a lot of bad luck that inning but DT needs to know that Ray just struggles against the Yankees and because of that, you have to be careful what situation you use him in.

And then, on top of that, he is struggling find his arm slot right now.

His pitch count was 93 to start the 7th and was 103 after the long Swisher at bat. Yet after he walked Cano on 4 pitches, the infield had to stall to give Ray more time to warm up. That's probably why BB had to face Cano--nobody was warmed up.

It was defensible to let BB start the 7th, but at 93 pitches you have to have someone warming up from the start of the inning. Really horrible decision by Trembley there.

The other thing--is it just me, or does Trembley have two bullpens? If the O's have a lead, it's Baez/JJ/Sherrill, even if the lead is big. If the O's are trailing, it's Walker/Ray, even if it's a close game. No wonder the O's haven't come back to win any games this year--every time we trail, we put in our crummy relievers.

I was surprised to see him come out in the 7th, but I didn't see him tiring in the 6th. I saw him doing OK in the 6th, but he just had some long AB's and used 23p in that one inning. I thought that was more about the MFY's than it was about him.

I figured the combination of the overall pitch count, and especially the 6th inning pitch count would do it. But it was obvious that, after sitting through the bottom of the 6th, he was done when he started the 7th...

It's funny that he often goes to Baez when they're protecting a lead. I mean, the O's were only down by a freaking run. Against Sabathia, that's a moral lead....and they turn to Chris Ray.

Ray has not had nearly the successful quick recovery that Danys Baez has enjoyed. Is it possible to DL Ray for a phantom injury and send him to Bowie or Norfolk for some rehab to get this stuff straightened out?

I don't hate that he left Berg out there. He got Matsui easily, but just fell apart after that. He got ahead of Swisher, but after that ball, ball, ball, ball, ball...you know.

I DO fault Trembley for bringing in Chris Ray in a close game like this. Leverage, Trembley. Learn it, man. Put your most effective guy out there. Ray has struggled all year, and his last outing wasn't impressive at all.

Chris Ray had no time to warm up, especially on a cool evening. He should have gotten up after the 6th inning to be warmed up for the 7th. There have been quite a few moves made this year by Trembley that I don'g agree with. That was certainly one of them.

Between that, the horrible base running, and the lack of fundamentals this team has shown this year and last. I think it may be time to consider making some changes.

Chris Ray had no time to warm up, especially on a cool evening. He should have gotten up after the 6th inning to be warmed up for the 7th. There have been quite a few moves made this year by Trembley that I don'g agree with. That was certainly one of them.

Between that, the horrible base running, and the lack of fundamentals this team has shown this year and last. I think it may be time to consider making some changes.

See, this is a double bad decision on the part of Trembley. One, going to Ray in a tight game. Two, not giving him enough time to warm up.

See, this is a double bad decision on the part of Trembley. One, going to Ray in a tight game. Two, not giving him enough time to warm up.

And three pitching, a shaky Ray vs. the Yankees who have owned him his entire career. Even in 2006 when Ray was the Ray we all want him to be, the Yankees destroyed him.

Ray was the exact wrong arm to pick. Baez should have been the pitcher.

I DO fault Trembley for bringing in Chris Ray in a close game like this. Leverage, Trembley. Learn it, man. Put your most effective guy out there. Ray has struggled all year, and his last outing wasn't impressive at all.

You don't even have to use the leverage word. The idea is as old as baseball - use your best best pitchers when the game is on the line. Instead of 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th-inning guys, along with LOOGYs and ROOGYs and long guys and double play guys and whatever else is concocted this week, the pen needs only to be prioritized by effectiveness and rest. Whoever is pitching well pitches more when it matters, up to the point where he's tired.

I understand that the O's aren't contending this year, but every game can't be a minor league teaching exercise. If you're struggling or it's a situation that doesn't suit your abilities you don't deserve to pitch when it counts.

Archived