What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

No touchy-feely help-is-on-the-way article should excuse the fact that this continues to be a Losing franchise in the worst sense of the word. Watching Andino on the end of that cut off was mind-blowing. DT’s continued lead touch with the bullpen is infuriating. STILL the most appropriate question: Is DT the guy we want when Wieters starts the parade in June? At some point we need to instill the basics of winning rather than a steady stream of empty bromides. The usual hostages will say it’s the players and they’ll be wrong. We have enough talent to make progress. Last night was a metaphor for laughable regression.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't at the game, but I thought Ray had plenty of time to get ready. They just showed him on tv late, and mentioned something about giving him more time for a few more warm ups. Granted, Kranitz and Trembley have done this numerous times already this year -- not getting up a reliever until the batter before they want him to come in.

However, if it was on short time, it should have been a guy to get a ground ball, as it was 1st and 2nd with only one out. Everyone had Monday off, so everyone was rested. Is Ray more of a GB guy than Johnson? I don't really think so, though he did throw one, which was in turn booted. I think part of problem is the fully distinct set roles that are set on the team by Trembley and Kranitz. There is usually no give in those roles, which are as follows (and current)...

Hendrickson -- long relief/mop-up if losing

Bass -- long relief/mop-up if winning (earned his way out of the new Hendrickson role)

Walker -- LOOGY/full inning if work needed

Ray -- 6th/7th/8th if losing, sometimes if winning depending on rest of others (has taken Sarfate's old spot)

Baez -- 6th/7th if winning, sometimes if losing depending on rest of others; 8th if Johnson not rested

Johnson -- 8th

Sherrill -- 9th/Closer

Unless someone just blows one night, there is not going to be much change. No one will pitch over two days in a row, unless absolutely necessary or low pitch count from the two previous days.

Don't blame the messenger, just thought everyone would like to know the roles.

Warehouse hostages will undoubtedly say Baez's performance tonight confirms DTs decision to go with Ray last night. Or perhaps they will say the poor guy just cant win. But.

Baez struggling. Walker ready. DT sticks with Baez for (lefty) Cano. Cano hits rope. Walker replaces Baez and gets lit up. Here's what can be inferred: DT burned by book (Cano hitting .500 vs Walker) for nth time. He ("player's manager") also makes explicit the fact he doesn't trust Walker in an intuitive spot (old news?). Forget Walker's ensuing performance, how bout "You know Cano hits you good, now get the f***er!" There is no way to tell how gut pans out, because we rarely if ever see it. No way I want DT managing a must-win series.

Warehouse hostages will undoubtedly say Baez's performance tonight confirms DTs decision to go with Ray last night. Or perhaps they will say the poor guy just cant win. But.

Baez struggling. Walker ready. DT sticks with Baez for (lefty) Cano. Cano hits rope. Walker replaces Baez and gets lit up. Here's what can be inferred: DT burned by book (Cano hitting .500 vs Walker) for nth time. He ("player's manager") also makes explicit the fact he doesn't trust Walker in an intuitive spot (old news?). Forget Walker's ensuing performance, how bout "You know Cano hits you good, now get the f***er!" There is no way to tell how gut pans out, because we rarely if ever see it. No way I want DT managing a must-win series.

I'm sorry, but this post is completely incomprehensible to me. Clearly it is anti DT in tone but beyond that I'm lost. Instead of trying to be clever, why not try simple declaritive sentences to say clearly what you mean. :confused:

Happy to hold your hand. Which ambiguities need clarification?

I think what he is trying to say is that the sentence structure didn't make any sense. Yes, they were all sentences, however all together it just seemed a little like gibberish with no clear content or statement -- key word being clear.

Warehouse hostages will undoubtedly say Baez's performance tonight confirms DTs decision to go with Ray last night. Or perhaps they will say the poor guy just cant win. But. Baez struggling. Walker ready. DT sticks with Baez for (lefty) Cano. Cano hits rope. Walker replaces Baez and gets lit up. Here's what can be inferred: DT burned by book (Cano hitting .500 vs Walker) for nth time. He ("player's manager") also makes explicit the fact he doesn't trust Walker in an intuitive spot (old news?). Forget Walker's ensuing performance, how bout "You know Cano hits you good, now get the f***er!" There is no way to tell how gut pans out, because we rarely if ever see it. No way I want DT managing a must-win series.These ambiguities.:rolleyestf:

You could try explaining whatever you meant to say again, but this time pretend you're writing in plain English, and that you intend it to be understandable by the reader.

Guest rochester
I actually felt a little sorry for Eaton. He was out there on that mound getting beat up by a lineup that would be declared illegal in most states, all the while knowing that his pitching career....at least as an Oriole....was probably over. But, he took it like a man.

Some may say if your Oriole pitching career is over then chances of him catching on with someone with a pitching staff are pretty thin:D

Archived