What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

Good to see him not gank Johnson out in the 9th, I think that was a smart move. Typically we've seen Dave go bullpen crazy, and I'm curious if it was a 3 run game if he would have pulled Johnson and put Sherrill in (I hope not). Overall, good game for DT.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that was just stupid. Those guys know what's supposed to happen. That's LL stuff.

Yes but it happens a lot. The problem is I think ego's tend to supercede the set oder of things. Melmo should have called of Zaun and perhaps he did, but Zaun stayed with it until it was too late.

Yes but it happens a lot. The problem is I think ego's tend to supercede the set oder of things. Melmo should have called of Zaun and perhaps he did, but Zaun stayed with it until it was too late.

Well, I don't know who did-or-didn't do what. But it's Zaun's job to catch it unless he hears Mora call for it. And if Mora did call for it, then it's Mora's job to go catch it wihtout worrying about Zaun and simply trust him to get the hell out of the way. No matter who screwed up, there is no scenario in which they should be looking at each other. Which you already know.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing how that kind of junk happens. If it's 12-year-olds I understand, but doesn't everybody in high school know how it's supposed to work? Or am I giving the baseball-playing portion of the human race too much credit? It's not like it's some obscure scenario that only happens once in a blue moon. It's a pretty normal situation.

Well, I don't know who did-or-didn't do what. But it's Zaun's job to catch it unless he hears Mora call for it. And if Mora did call for it, then it's Mora's job to go catch it wihtout worrying about Zaun and simply trust him to get the hell out of the way. No matter who screwed up, there is no scenario in which they should be looking at each other. Which you already know.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing how that kind of junk happens. If it's 12-year-olds I understand, but doesn't everybody in high school know how it's supposed to work? Or am I giving the baseball-playing portion of the human race too much credit? It's not like it's some obscure scenario that only happens once in a blue moon. It's a pretty normal situation.

This is true, but I wonder what effect small parks with virtually no foul ground territory have to do with this. Maybe there's less emphasis all the way around for some clubs on that play because more times than not now days the ball ends up in the seats. That's a stretch obviously, but it was just a thought. Either way it's unacceptable, IMO. Not like I matter though. ;)

During the game they said it is the 3rd baseman's job to catch it over the catcher. (I dont know who's right, just sayin)

I thought he did the right thing to take Hill out when he did. He left with a chance to win and his pitch count shouldn't have gone much over 90.

He may have seen something I didn't because I thought Hill was cruising before he gave up that hit and that other...whatever (it wasn't an error, but Izturis should have had it so I don't consider it a real hit). I guess with Olivo coming up it was an OK move. I liked that he didn't bother with any funny "bring in someone to pitch to one guy" business tonight.

Not really anything to complain about, in my eyes.

Archived