What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

Confidence is not instilled.

Actually, I just looked over the game logs and before last night JJ hadn't pitched since the 17th so I'm thinking he will probably be available to pitch an inning tomorrow(probably the 8th) if the situation calls for it.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I just looked over the game logs and before last night JJ hadn't pitched since the 17th so I'm thinking he will probably be available to pitch an inning tomorrow(probably the 8th) if the situation calls for it.

The other thing you have to remember is that there are still 12 more games in a row to go, without a day off, including Saturday.

I have no major criticisms of DT tonight. I suppose some might question bringing in JJ again tonight, But the alternatives were Walker, Hendrickson, Ray, and GS, so I felt better taking my chances with JJ. Of course we'll have to wait and see if he benches Zaun and Reimold tomorrow for their baserunning gaffs. I suppose you could say it was his fault for not reminding them before the game not to run when you are on 2B and the ball is hit in front of you, or when you are trying to steal 2B be sure to try to pick up the ball if it's put in play. They probably didn't know these things.

I did not like using JJ after 2 IP last night.

DT has a habit of burning through his bp when the team is winning, IMO, as he keeps going with the same guys.

Hopefully, DT can get these guys a bit of rest. Would not have minded seeing DT take a chance with Ray or someone else in the ninth against the weaker Nat hitters to keep GS available for tomorrow.

DT has a habit of burning through his bp when the team is winning, IMO, as he keeps going with the same guys.

Hopefully, DT can get these guys a bit of rest. Would not have minded seeing DT take a chance with Ray or someone else in the ninth against the weaker Nat hitters to keep GS available for tomorrow.

Who would you have brought in during the eighth? I ask because I didn't think it was a good move at the time either. He was fortunate to get out of there unharmed. Zimmerman scorched that line drive after the Johnson walk.

I don't think I would have kept Albers in as he's only pitched more than an inning once all season before last night. You keep his confidence up by have two really nice back to back outings.

Don't trust Ray in that situation. Maybe Walker in the eighth with Johnson and Dunn due up.

Who would you have gone with instead? Albers for another inning? He pitched last night as well and he has that labrum thing. Ray has been very shaky and I would not trust him in a high leverage situation right now.

I mentioned it last night but JJ hadn't thrown in 5 nights before last night so I figured if we had a small lead in the 8th inning he would probably go back to him again tonight. Any other situation and I think JJ gets the night off. He is certainly off limits tommorow and after last night's game DT had to know he had him for either tonight's game or tommorow's game. Tonight's game happened to present the scenario where DT loves to use JJ and he pulled the trigger.

As far as GS goes, right now he is hot and it was only a 1 run lead. That has to be Sherrill unless he is unavailable. Of course, we could be in the same exact situation tommorow and GS probably won't be available but that's something where you have to play for today and wory about tommorow when it gets here.

DT did have a tough call. The best candidates to face the middle of the Nat's order in the 8th, IMO, were the following:

- GS pitched for the third time in 3 days tonight

- Baez went 2 IP last night in only 18 pitches, but tossed 16 pitches in an ineffective effort vs. the NYY on Wednesday

- JJ needed 34 pitches to get through 2 IP from the Nats on Friday.

- Albers needed 14 pitches to get 4 outs last night and had used 9 pitches to get 3 outs tonight.

I personally am not a fan of using JJ after 30+ pitches last night and would have made every effort to avoid using JJ tonight. I also don't like using GS for the third night in a row. I think the heavy usage can lead to ineffectiveness and/or injury, but DT coaches to win with each lead usually regardless of a pitcher's recent use.

My preference for the 8th would have been Sherrill against substantially better hitters than he faced in the ninth. The second choice is somewhat of a toss up between JJ, MA and Baez - who to use for a third IP in two days. Given the high pitch count of JJ and the fact that MA only needed nine pitches in the seventh, MA would have been my second choice in the 8th.

Also, given the weakness of the Nat's 6/7/8 hitters, my preference would have been to have Hendrickson work those guys over in the ninth. Since moving to the bp after a disastrous seventh start giving up 5 ERs in 2 IPs against the Rays, Hendrickson has given up one run in 4.2 IP with 6 Ks, 3 hits and 0 BBs.

Also, given the weakness of the Nat's 6/7/8 hitters, my preference would have been to have Hendrickson work those guys over in the ninth. Since moving to the bp after a disastrous seventh start giving up 5 ERs in 2 IPs against the Rays, Hendrickson has given up one run in 4.2 IP with 6 Ks, 3 hits and 0 BBs.

Hendrickson isn't going to be used in any high-leverage situations, I imagine.

Also, isn't he our only long-option for Sunday?

Hendrickson isn't going to be used in any high-leverage situations, I imagine.

Also, isn't he our only long-option for Sunday?

I think these questions show that bullpen management isn't quite as easy as some of our armchair experts think.:laughlol:

I think DT should've ran out of the dugout and "chatted" with the 2nd base umpire after he chewed out BB earlier today.

Palmer and Dibble were talking about it and they agreed that the ump was doing Bergy a favor by pointing out something he was doing, that could be called a balk.

Archived