What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

I guess the only possible explanation is that DT is "clueless".:rolleyestf:

This isn't a helpful post. People have the right to question Trembley's decisions without being greeted with a sarcastic eyeroll. And his post never suggested that Trembley was clueless. If you want to take the opposing viewpoint, defend the decision.

The Baez/Sherrill thing didn't bother me if it means that Baez is still available tonight. But I agree that Roberts should've been taken out of the game earlier. He was limping off the field after taking the feed from Izturis for the final out of the 7th, and I was surprised that he got to bat in the bottom half of the inning (and legged out a triple, no less). Especially on a wet field, I was uneasy that Trembley seemingly didn't play it safe with Brian's health.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the only possible explanation is that DT is "clueless".:rolleyestf:

More "Captain Save A Trembley" actions from the likes of El Gordo. What a bloody shocker.

Can you at least defend your position? The man isn't infallible, yet whenever anyone posts anything that suggests so, you get all uppity. Is he your brother? Good grief.

I notice that as long as we are playing well the DT bashers are silent. But if he is truly the idiot you think he is he must have screwed up some where today. Well what was it? I cant think of anything, but maybe he shouldn't have brought back Baez for a third inning? Or should not have let Ray have the ball since we know he sucks? I was disturbed to see GS warming, because it would have been his third game in a row.

I notice that as long as we are playing well the DT bashers are silent. But if he is truly the idiot you think he is he must have screwed up some where today. Well what was it? I cant think of anything, but maybe he shouldn't have brought back Baez for a third inning? Or should not have let Ray have the ball since we know he sucks? I was disturbed to see GS warming, because it would have been his third game in a row.

The O's have won a few. You'll just have to wait until they lose a game. Maybe.

I thought it was a good idea to bring Baez out for a third IP as he was doing well and had a low pitch count. I like the fact that DT is letting guys go multiple IP as advocated by several posters throughout the early part of this season.

I did notice today that DT brought in Ray in the sixth down by four runs and Walker for an entire IP in the eighth when we were down five. This is in stark contrast to Sunday when both were used in the seventh trying to hold on to a 1 run lead - when, IMO, Hendrickson should have been used. Perhaps Hendrickson is moving up in the bp rotation as Ray and Walker falter. We'll see.

On Tuesday, DT allowed JJ to put in his fifth IP in less than a week in Tuesday's ninth with a five run lead - again, why let JJ pitch with such a lead, why not use Hendrickson?

This isn't a helpful post. People have the right to question Trembley's decisions without being greeted with a sarcastic eyeroll. And his post never suggested that Trembley was clueless. If you want to take the opposing viewpoint, defend the decision.

The Baez/Sherrill thing didn't bother me if it means that Baez is still available tonight. But I agree that Roberts should've been taken out of the game earlier. He was limping off the field after taking the feed from Izturis for the final out of the 7th, and I was surprised that he got to bat in the bottom half of the inning (and legged out a triple, no less). Especially on a wet field, I was uneasy that Trembley seemingly didn't play it safe with Brian's health.

I have no problem with people questioning anything DT does. What I have a problem with is the message board bravado and hubrous, thet feels it necessary to use hyperbole like clueless or idiot etc. when they disagree with a decision.

It cheapens the quality of discussion here.

Agreed. What's the point of starting the thread if you don't want feedback? :confused:

I was hoping for intelligent feed back, but I got what I expected, a mixed bag of mostly baloney and a few thoughtful criticisms. My personal assessment of DT is that he is a mediocre manager when it comes to bullpen, roster management, or in game moves . Neither great nor that bad. His strengths IMO are his ability to gain the respect of his players and get them to play hard for him. We may be seeing some lapses in fundamentals, but it is not a result of lacadaisical play IMO, but rather a result of over agressiveness, and a desire to compete. Also I think DT does a good job with the media, giving stright forward answers, but standing up for his players. Oddly enough these are the strengths of another well regarded manager, Jpoe Torre. He is not a particulary brilliant in game manager or bullpen genius(I would like to konw who is) but he is highly respected among players and the media.

I was hoping for intelligent feed back, but I got what I expected, a mixed bag of mostly baloney and a few thoughtful criticisms.

Doesn't what RHall31 wrote qualify as "intelligent feedback?" :noidea:

I don't understand why DT left Roberts on third yesterday when he was clearly hobbled and he had Andino on the bench. It worked out fine but I thought Andino should have pinch run after Roberts reaction on the wild pitch.

I also don't get why Baez didn't go back out for the 9th.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. You're a good guy. I don't agree with everything you write, but I agree with well over half of your posts. :)

I just think you were being unnecessarily hard on the guy for his opinion. That's all.

I have no problem with people questioning anything DT does. What I have a problem with is the message board bravado and hubrous, thet feels it necessary to use hyperbole like clueless or idiot etc. when they disagree with a decision.

I think you're overblowing this "clueless" or "idiot" thing.

I was hoping for intelligent feed back, but I got what I expected, a mixed bag of mostly baloney and a few thoughtful criticisms. My personal assessment of DT is that he is a mediocre manager when it comes to bullpen, roster management, or in game moves . Neither great nor that bad. His strengths IMO are his ability to gain the respect of his players and get them to play hard for him. We may be seeing some lapses in fundamentals, but it is not a result of lacadaisical play IMO, but rather a result of over agressiveness, and a desire to compete. Also I think DT does a good job with the media, giving stright forward answers, but standing up for his players. Oddly enough these are the strengths of another well regarded manager, Jpoe Torre. He is not a particulary brilliant in game manager or bullpen genius(I would like to konw who is) but he is highly respected among players and the media.

I totally agree with your assessment here. He's an ok in-game manager who sticks too much to the conventions of the day for my taste, but he seems to be a great motivator and team guy.

I thought it was a good idea to bring Baez out for a third IP as he was doing well and had a low pitch count. I like the fact that DT is letting guys go multiple IP as advocated by several posters throughout the early part of this season.

I did notice today that DT brought in Ray in the sixth down by four runs and Walker for an entire IP in the eighth when we were down five. This is in stark contrast to Sunday when both were used in the seventh trying to hold on to a 1 run lead - when, IMO, Hendrickson should have been used. Perhaps Hendrickson is moving up in the bp rotation as Ray and Walker falter. We'll see.

On Tuesday, DT allowed JJ to put in his fifth IP in less than a week in Tuesday's ninth with a five run lead - again, why let JJ pitch with such a lead, why not use Hendrickson?

I loved this move despite the HR. It was a great move when he made it and hopefully the result won't dissuade him from doing it again in the future.

Now you know how we feel with 99% of your posts.

But you're the one who used the word "clueless." The post you responded to said nothing of the sort. Don't cheapen the valid comments with responses like that.

Back to the topic at hand, there was one thing Trembley did yesterday that made me scratch my head...why not use Ty Wigginton as a pinch-hitter in the late innings? I was very surprised that he didn't have Wiggy bat for Moeller or Andino during the 8th-inning rally--especially against a lefty-- and certainly more puzzled when he used Gregg Zaun as a pinch-hitter instead of Wigginton with a chance to win the game in the 9th.

My guess is that Wigginton was unavailable yesterday with a nagging injury or something. But if he was available, it didn't make sense for Trembley not to use him.

Archived