O's, Mora To Announce Three-Year Contract

ChrisRayRules

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this -- sometimes signing a fan favorite to a long-term deal blows up in a team's face. Look how long we had to hang on to Brady Anderson. I'm sure everyone cheered that deal the day it was made, but everyone lamented it later. (OK, maybe Cindy didn't.)

I don't think that will happen with Melvin, though. At worst he will be a bit overpaid in the 2nd and 3rd year of his new deal.

If you look overall at the current 3-year deal and the new contract, we will have paid less than $36 mm for 6 years -- definitely a bargain. Less than we paid Tony Batista per year.

I will say this -- sometimes signing a fan favorite to a long-term deal blows up in a team's face. Look how long we had to hang on to Brady Anderson. I'm sure everyone cheered that deal the day it was made, but everyone lamented it later. (OK, maybe Cindy didn't.)

I don't think that will happen with Melvin, though. At worst he will be a bit overpaid in the 2nd and 3rd year of his new deal.

If you look overall at the current 3-year deal and the new contract, we will have paid less than $36 mm for 6 years -- definitely a bargain. Less than we paid Tony Batista per year.

I was against the Brady deal from the beginning. So, not EVERYONE wanted it. :D

I'm hoping for that clause myself. I was furious when Melvin laid one down against the Yanks with no outs. I think it was around the 4th or 5th inning, but Chacon had just walked Roberts and Markakis. He couldn't throw a ball over, and Melvin comes up there and bails him out by bunting.

I agree. If you're playing for one run against Kansas City, great play. but playing for one run against the Yankees is like bringing a knife to a gun fight! It would be great to get that run, but we'd lose 9 to 1. :002_ssad:

We've been beaten over the head with the Angelos stick for too long.

Other fanbases focus on the players that their team has, while everything here is squabbling over small amounts. Nobody's really worth it, you can't overpay, you gotta be careful, try to nickle and dime people, etc... The focus is on the dollar sign, which has very little effect on the field.

We need to get the focus back on the field, where our games are being lost. Keeping Melvin is a good thing. This is about Melvin, a good guy and a good player who wants to be here. It's not about $6 million or $9 million or some figure in between, because whatever that figure is it doesn't change a thing come gametime. I wish we could focus on the players more around here.

It's no secret here that you and I are good friends outside of the O's Hangout and sports in general, but Lord knows you and I seem to butt heads more often than we see eye-to-eye. That being said...

That's one of the most profound Mora-related posts in the hundred or so threads about him and, as happens quite often to a post that doesn't contain VORP, WHIP, park adjustments, or even flat out rumors, it appears to have gone almost completely ignored aside from the ridicule from 'Four Run Jack'.

Dead on, Jeff. You hit the nail on the head, my man.

In spite of the fact that I spent quite a bit of time during ST opining that MM wasn't worth the 10 mil a year he wanted, and if he wasn't an all star this year he would have a hard time getting half that, I'm really glad this appears to be wrapped up. I'm sure that barring injury MM will be an above average 3B for at least the first 2 years of his deal, and for a shade under 9 mil a year, that isn't bad in todays 3B marketplace. It wouldn't surprise me if by 2009 he's in more of a BJ Surhoff (his last few years) type role, but if he's still a reasonably productive player that's fine. Finally, hats off to PA and the FO for making something good happen. Maybe now that they've tried it and it didn't hurt, the FO will do more of this sort of thing.

I wish it closer to 1/8th or 1/9th but at least Tejada is the best SS in baseball. Mora is a very good player but I can think of almost 10 players I'd rather have at 3rd base instead of him.

10? Ok, lets try this:

Definites

1. Arod

2. Migueal Cabrera

3. David Wright

Maybes

4. Glaus

5. Ensberg?

6. Figgins (Is he in the OF now? I know he has played 3b)

7. Aramis Ramirez?

8. Rolen?

Ok, I got to 8, and I think Mora compares rather well (i.e. coming out close to equal) with all of the maybes. So I can only think of 3 definites that I would rather have at 3rd. Help me out . . .

Archived