Chris Richard pulls a Hoiles!

markdublya

2 Granny's in one game. Always seemed like a good guy to me. I thought he would have had a better career for us.

http://norfolk.tides.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090516&content_id=586089&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

I'm happy for Richards....but yeah, when we got him I also thought he was going to be a solid player for us. Just didn't happen. You have to assume the end is near for him -- a 34 yr old DH on a AA team doesn't have much of a future -- but he obviously still loves playing the game. I hope he has a banner year, and maybe gets one more shot at the bigs.

2 Granny's in one game. Always seemed like a good guy to me. I thought he would have had a better career for us.

If not for the shoulder injury that effectively ended Richard's major league career, he would have. A gold glove quality first baseman who was athletic enough to play center field for the O's -- gotta love that!

In exchange for Richard and Mark Nussbeck, the Cards received Mike Timlin and cash (about half Timlin's salary, IIRC). Timlin pitched relatively well for the Cards before being sent (unwillingly) to the Phillies in the Rolen trade. Timlin's best years were probably after that, with the Red Sox.

Speaking of Chris Hoiles (manager of the York (PA) Revolutions)... he got ejected from the game yesterday arguing a call at the plate.

York manager Chris Hoiles didn't see all of his team's sixth loss of the season to the Patriots and their 14th loss in 16 games. He was ejected in the third inning while arguing a call at home plate. The ejection was the first of the season for the Revolution, and it came on a passed ball with two outs in the inning.

I didn't know Tippy was their P Coach.:scratchchinhmm:

Yeah, Tippy's been with Hoiles since the team beginnings 3 years ago. Ryan Minor was the hitting coach and since moved on to the Orioles Delmarva Shorebirds as the hitting coach. The current hitting coach is Sam Snider, who was with the Orioles for 27 years (21 years running the bullpen).

Yeah, Tippy's been with Hoiles since the team beginnings 3 years ago. Ryan Minor was the hitting coach and since moved on to the Orioles Delmarva Shorebirds as the hitting coach. The current hitting coach is Sam Snider, who was with the Orioles for 27 years (21 years running the bullpen).

Wow. I think I need a Rev's hat now.

Sammy Snider from Chambersburg, PA. A local to me. :D

His minor league record indicates that he's spent the last 5 seasons playing at the AAA level. Can't disagree with your assessment of his future, though.

I'm originally from North Carolina and way back when used to go to some Winston-Salem Warthogs games. I also followed the old Bulls team (before and after Bull Durham), as well the Charlotte Orioles, when they were the O's AAA team.

And yes, I know that the Durham Bulls are now a AAA team, but thank you for pointing out that I only typed two "A's".....:)

Archived