Being Gutsy in the Bronx – 5/20

O's are Legends

Except if it's Ball 4 Nick is still going to take the pitch. I doubt it was a hit and run but even if it was there is absoulutely no incentive to swing at a ball. There is no need to protect the runner in that situation.

I completely agree. Was merely trying to make sense of the prior post.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Markakis and Roberts should be benched because of a hit-and-run that backfired?

It should have started many games ago like when Mora had a 2-0 count and fouled off ball 3 when Roberts was about to get an easy steal.

Why do you put that kind of pressure on your best hitter?

What pressure? He is not being asked to make contact at all costs. If it's a ball, he takes it. If it's a strike, he swings, which is what he is more often that not doing anyway on a 3-1 count. He is not required to swing at a bad pitch because if it's a ball, he walks and Roberts gets to second anyway.

With Nick's plate discipline, I think he is the best guy on the team with whom to do it.

It was a straight steal on the 3-2 count. On the 3-1 it was H&R and the ball was well out of the zone but Markakis fouled it off.
OK, so Roberts is a poor base stealer and Markakis has a poor batters eye..bench em both!:mwahaha:

Do we all agree that a 3-1 count to Nick with Roberts on first is actually a perfect time to call a hit and run?

Personally I let Nick choose his pitch to hit in such a good count (and especially considering the scoreline), rather than force him to hit anything borderline.

It's a 3-1 count. He's probably going to get a fat pitch. Why would you screw with that?

You are proving our point. If he gets a fat pitch, he is more often than not going to make contact. Sending Roberts just keeps you out of the double play if he hits one on the ground at somebody.

Archived