Zambrano signs an extension

Sports Guy

What does this mean for Bedard's potential extension?

That 5/80 could get this done this offseason, IMO.

I think we should do that to show that we are serious in keeping him. We can buy out his next two years of arbitration but get a better deal from him in the long term.

That 5/80 could get this done this offseason, IMO.

I think we should do that to show that we are serious in keeping him. We can buy out his next two years of arbitration but get a better deal from him in the long term.

If you are guranteeing huge money to someone w/two years away from free agency you need to get the free agency years at a discount, not pay a premium.

If you are guranteeing huge money to someone w/two years away from free agency you need to get the free agency years at a discount, not pay a premium.

I would think 16 a year for someone who is better than a guy making 18 a year, is a discount.

Also you have to think how much money he could command as a FA 2 years from now. It could be closer to 20 per if he keeps this up.

I would think 16 a year for someone who is better than a guy making 18 a year, is a discount.

Also you have to think how much money he could command as a FA 2 years from now. It could be closer to 20 per if he keeps this up.

Yes but you also have to take into account what he will get in arbitration over the next 2 years, which is likely to be in the 13-15 million range.

So, if you take the 15 number....You are then left with 2 years of FA(assuming a 4 year deal)...If you assume 15 million a year, that makes it 4/45....You may even be able to get him for less than that but that should be about the number.

He'd make nowhere near 16 a year over the next two years if we do nothing and he plays under the arb contract. Offering a 5/80 contract and You'd be paying well over $20m a year to buy out two years of FA.

Yes but you also have to take into account what he will get in arbitration over the next 2 years, which is likely to be in the 13-15 million range.

So, if you take the 15 number....You are then left with 2 years of FA(assuming a 4 year deal)...If you assume 15 million a year, that makes it 4/45....You may even be able to get him for less than that but that should be about the number.

You think Bedard is getting 15 per year for the next 2 years in Arbitration?

Or 13-15 million over the next two years?

He'd make nowhere near 16 a year over the next two years if we do nothing and he plays under the arb contract. Offering a 5/80 contract and You'd be paying well over $20m a year to buy out two years of FA.

How are you paying 20m per year?

The contract is only 16 per year, and I thought he only had 2 more years until FA? Meaning 3 years of FA.

How are you paying 20m per year?

The contract is only 16 per year, and I thought he only had 2 more years until FA? Meaning 3 years of FA.

Doing nothing, via arbitration he's going to get something like $15m over the next two years combined. Maybe $20m on the high end. So essentially by locking him up, you'd be paying $60-65m to buy out three FA years if you went 5/80.

Doing nothing, via arbitration he's going to get something like $15m over the next two years combined. So essentially by locking him up, you'd be paying 2/65 to buy out the two FA years if you went 5/80.

We could always backload the contract as well.

I mean if you look at a current discount rate of 2.5%, the real value of the deal is closer to 70 million over that span. Hardly something to get upset about.

I would love to hear what number you would think it would take to get it done.

Assuming we need to sign him this offseason to keep him past the next 2 years.

We could always backload the contract as well.

I mean if you look at a current discount rate of 2.5%, the real value of the deal is closer to 70 million over that span. Hardly something to get upset about.

I would love to hear what number you would think it would take to get it done.

Assuming we need to sign him this offseason to keep him past the next 2 years.

First off, I'd try to sell him on a 4 year deal. Guarantee him big bucks right now while giving him a chance to land one more big contract at 32/33 years of age. I want a slight discount in exchange for guranteeing him two years of money - eliminating the risk that he misses out by getting hurt or struggling over the next two years. That should have some value. 4/48 or 4/52 is what I'd put on the table.

First off, I'd try to sell him on a 4 year deal. Guarantee him big bucks right now while giving him a chance to land one more big contract at 32/33 years of age. I want a slight discount in exchange for guranteeing him two years of money - eliminating the risk that he misses out by getting hurt or struggling over the next two years. That should have some value. 4/48 or 4/52 is what I'd put on the table.

Gotcha. Sounds like a good plan, I think the Orioles should try that route first, I think we can land him with that type of selling point.

Archived