OH Group-Mock '09

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am!!! I think Matzek ends up as highly touted as Kershaw before it's said and done. You can't appreciate polish enough in HS kids.

I didn't think that it was a bad pick. I am just a big Green fan and I think we will pass on him in the real draft too. It was sad to see it played out in the mock. lol. I would be very happy with Matzek at five.

I am!!! I think Matzek ends up as highly touted as Kershaw before it's said and done. You can't appreciate polish enough in HS kids.

Thanks ;)

I think you could be right about the Kershaw comparison if a few things go Matzek's way. If he fills out he could add a few MPH to his fastball, and Matzek's slider has a chance to be a plus pitch. His curve is behind, but I think he could develop 4 above average pitches, with a couple of them being plus. Definitely wouldn't mind having that at the top of the rotation in a few years, but I still have a bigger mancrush on Crow :D

With the fourth pick in the first round of the pretend make believe 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, Pittsburgh selects:

Tanner Scheppers

RHSP

6'4 195 lbs

St. Paul Saints

This is one of the many BPA at this slot, also they already have history with eachother, Pittsburgh recieved permission to draft Schep. The one obstacle I see here would be a bad medical report.....

Since he was drafted by the Pirates last year, doesn't he have to sign a waiver allowing the Pirates to draft him. Has he done so? Also, not sure if Crow has signed off allowing the Nats to draft him either.

I didn't think that it was a bad pick. I am just a big Green fan and I think we will pass on him in the real draft too. It was sad to see it played out in the mock. lol. I would be very happy with Matzek at five.

As long as he stays healthy, everything I've read about Matzek is that he has a clean and easy delivery and great command of 4 pitches. I like the sound of that.

Since he was drafted by the Pirates last year, doesn't he have to sign a waiver allowing the Pirates to draft him. Has he done so? Also, not sure if Crow has signed off allowing the Nats to draft him either.

He does, and there are conflicting reports saying he has given permission, but it hasn't been proven, and some saying he's said ok but hasn't signed anything.

Crow would too and I think he said a while back he wouldn't sign it.

1:5 Baltimore Orioles

With the 5th pick in the first round, the Baltimore Orioles select Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS

Tyler Matzek

6-3, 185 lbs.

LHP

This arm gives Baltimore another talented youngster to add to their stable. Matzek has a clean delivery to go along with considerable upside, and he could move fairly quickly despite being a high schooler.

Who is the last high school pitcher drafted in the top 10 to ever make it?

Verlander was drafted out of Old Dominion, I believe.

Not to take a big stool all over your contribution or anything.

;)

I think he was thinking of Bonderman.

He wasn't a top 10 pick though.

Bonderman attended Pasco High School in Pasco, Washington. In his last year of high school baseball, he went 5–2 and recorded a 3.60 ERA. He is the only high school junior ever to be drafted in baseball history. He was held back a year early in his schooling, and passed his GED to earn his diploma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bonderman

Verlander was drafted out of Old Dominion, I believe.

Not to take a big stool all over your contribution or anything.

;)

He was. What I was thinking is that I shouldn't post after I've had a few, apparently.

Who is the last high school pitcher drafted in the top 10 to ever make it?

Beckett

Floyd

Grienke (and after this year, yes, I'd say he's made it)

Garland

It's a weak draft this year, so the HS guys that would usually be pushed down to mid-first round status are coming to the forefront this year.

Archived