BA's Top 200 Draft Prospects (1 - 100)

Names and stats : http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-preview/2009/268178.html

Scouting Reports : http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/draft-tracker/2009/268184.html

Their Top 10 are :

1. Strasburg
  2. Ackley
  3. Tate
  4. Gibson
  5. Turner
  6. White
  7. Crow
  8. Matzek
  9. Scheppers
  10. Purke

I am no draft expert, but I am a little surprised that Gibson was rated the 2nd highest pitcher, behing Strasburg.

Their take on Gibson :

He relies on two-seam fastballs more than four-seamers, usually pitching at 88-91 mph with good sink and tailing action, though he can reach back for 94 mph when needed. He has two of the better secondary pitches in the draft, a crisp 82-85 mph slider and a deceptive changeup with fade that can generate swings and misses. All of his offerings play up because he has excellent command and pitchability. He repeats his smooth delivery easily, and his 6-foot-6, 208-pound frame allows him to throw on a steep downhill plane. If there's a knock on Gibson, it's that he hasn't added much velocity during his three years with the Tigers.

I'm really not, I've been a pretty big fan of Gibson most of the year, he might not be the sexiest pick, but he's going to be steady, he's going to make it to the majors, and he's going to be better than Adam Eaton ;) I'll say that much at least.

I don't agree with Turner that high though. His stats are inflated a bit, he has feasted on some mediocre competition early in the year and it seems that is what he is being rated on. To each their own I guess.

Allstar, what is Gibson's ceiling? I understand that he's the "safe" pick in this years top talent, but is he looking to settle in a maybe a #2 starter, or are we talking about more of a 3-4 starter? At this point, I'm more sold on Crow and Matzek because I can see them becoming #2 starters, and even if they don't fulfill that ceiling, they could settle in as solid #3's.

I guess I just need to be sold on Gibson. I know he's solid, and not the "sexy" pick like some of the other talents. I very well could end up wrong but I like Gibson behind Crow, Matzek, and Wheeler. I would put Gibson ahead of Scheppers due to past injury concern.

Allstar, what is Gibson's ceiling? I understand that he's the "safe" pick in this years top talent, but is he looking to settle in a maybe a #2 starter, or are we talking about more of a 3-4 starter? At this point, I'm more sold on Crow and Matzek because I can see them becoming #2 starters, and even if they don't fulfill that ceiling, they could settle in as solid #3's.

I guess I just need to be sold on Gibson. I know he's solid, and not the "sexy" pick like some of the other talents. I very well could end up wrong but I like Gibson behind Crow, Matzek, and Wheeler. I would put Gibson ahead of Scheppers due to past injury concern.

It's hard to say because where you are slotted as a starter really relies more on the statistics you put up after you start pitching. He could easily put up statistics to be a solid #2 starter, or could just be a solid innings eater. My personal projection is Aaron Harang. Some people call him an ace, some call him a solid #2 and some would say he'd be a great #3 on a WS team. All in all that is who I think of when I think of Gibson.

I really do not know, but BA has been losing my respect more and more lately. This isnt a mock, and is based soley off of who the best prospect is. But to think Gibson the best right handed pitching prospect is pretty ridiculous. Guys like Aaron Crow and Scheppers have higher ceilings are are still quite polished and have a high floor.

I really do not see how anyone can expect Gibson to be better than either one of these guys unless they both get a major injury. Gibson may be the safest pick after Strasburg and Ackley, but I do not see how anyone can come to the conclusion he is the 2nd best pitcher in this draft.....I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped out of the top 10 to be honest with you, though I do expect him to be selected in the 5-10 range.....

Thanks. Sounds like there's no way he'll be around for our second pick.

I doubt it, but the talent is so bunched together after the first pick that it is possible. There are a couple starters that would make great closers out there, there are some position players not good enough for the top 10 that could float around in the next 20. There are some HS bats that are worth a look after 10-15. So it's possible he could drop, but I don't see him dropping further than the supplemental if he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived