Matusz start, Bowie vs. Akron Game 1, 7/2/09

Three Run Homer

I'll have more soon in the prospect tracker but MAtusz was obviously very sharp tonight. what I liked was he threw about 70% fastballs and still dominated a very good AA lineup. I talked to Brian throughout game two and it's obvious he very has good understanding of pitching and what he'd doing out there.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Steve Melweski on MASNSports.com:

Here is the amazing stat with Matusz. Dating four starts back when he was with Frederick he has allowed just one earned run over his last 41 1/3 innings for an ERA of 0.22.

------

O's Management is always saying that players will tell through their performance when they are ready for promotion. Matusz performance is screaming " I am ready for AAA".

Here is the amazing stat with Matusz. Dating four starts back when he was with Frederick he has allowed just one earned run over his last 41 1/3 innings for an ERA of 0.22.

------

O's Management is always saying that players will tell through their performance when they are ready for promotion. Matusz performance is screaming " I am ready for AAA".

That's unbelievable.

It will be special to have the Big 3 all at AAA together....it's right around the corner.

I will be there for at least one game. More if Matusz is pitching. They are having fireworks all 4 nights. Sunday is $1 dogs and Munday night is Ladies night with a $2000.00 diamond dig after the game. Reading has some great promotion nights. They had pimp this ride earlier in the year! Gave away free junk cars.

I plan on making that series also! Atleast Sat and or Sunday.

When he got out of that jam in the 1st, the first guy he struck out was Mills. When he got in trouble he really pulled out the good stuff, fed him 2 straight curveballs, a 94 mph fastball, and punched him out with the change. Mills just missed getting ahold of 2 pitches later in the game, he got under both and flew out.

Akron was sitting on his offspeed stuff, but his fastball was good tonight, a little extra pop and better command than he has had in a while. They were behind everything sitting offspeed so the few things they did get bats on were opposite field bloops for outs mostly.

He looked great.

I've heard this about Matusz time and again. It seems he really gets amped up in critical situations.

I also remember scouting reports before he was drafted that he was consistently able to take it up a notch to get out of jams.

It makes me think he's got a knack for conservation of energy, knowing when and when not to go all out. He won't be able to coast at 80 percent in the big leagues, but at least he seems to know how to pitch, has great poise and let's pressure motivate him. You can't really teach that stuff.

I also remember scouting reports before he was drafted that he was consistently able to take it up a notch to get out of jams.

It makes me think he's got a knack for conservation of energy, knowing when and when not to go all out. He won't be able to coast at 80 percent in the big leagues, but at least he seems to know how to pitch, has great poise and let's pressure motivate him. You can't really teach that stuff.

And the only two words that come to mind are: Jim Palmer.

I'm as excited as everyone else. I can't wait for Sickels' (and others) mid-season review. Think of it: Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz all doing well. Reimold exploding at AAA. Britton doing great at A+. Good news all around.

I'm as excited as everyone else. I can't wait for Sickels' (and others) mid-season review. Think of it: Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz all doing well. Reimold exploding at AAA. Britton doing great at A+. Good news all around.

Too bad Erbe isnt quite picking up where he left off, he was in line for a breakout season as well. His fastball was touching mid-upper 90's according to some reports, but now hes sitting 90-91 apparently.....Im a bit worried about that, but aside from Erbe, our top pitchers are doing very well and are improving what they needed to improve upon. Tillman is one of the biggest improvements, with him mimimizing the walks quite a bit.....

I was talking to someone in the Baltimore media today who mentioned that Matusz will be likely shut down while still at Bowie once he reaches a certain pitch threshold. He should start 2010 at AAA.

They're being very careful with Matusz.

Too bad Erbe isnt quite picking up where he left off, he was in line for a breakout season as well. His fastball was touching mid-upper 90's according to some reports, but now hes sitting 90-91 apparently.....Im a bit worried about that, but aside from Erbe, our top pitchers are doing very well and are improving what they needed to improve upon. Tillman is one of the biggest improvements, with him mimimizing the walks quite a bit.....

But I don't think Erbe will drop off, necessarily. May not rise. Many others will. Britton likely the most. The development of the change-up is huge.

Matusz has better stuff than Palmer ever did.

No, really.

But I don't think Erbe will drop off, necessarily. May not rise. Many others will. Britton likely the most. The development of the change-up is huge.

I know, I was just really expecting Erbe to make huge strides this year. As hard as he throws, along with his good breaking ball and developing change up, if he was able to pitch to his potential, hed be better than Tillman IMO....

Matusz has better stuff than Palmer ever did.

No, really.

Wow, thats pretty strong stuff to say. I know Palmer had the better fastball, I remember Dempsey saying that Palmer's curve wasnt that good, batters swung and missed it because they were expecting the fastball.....How hard did Palmer throw?

Matusz has amazing stuff, and mixing that with his plus command, he is very special.....Strasburg was apparently speaking about Matusz the other night and saying that he should gain a few more MPH as he fills out some more. Imagine how dominant Matusz would be if he topped out around 97-98 MPH.....Its funny how Hernandez is considered a power arm and his fastball tops out only 1 MPH more than Matusz. I guess Matusz's array of offspeed stuff overshadows everything else....

I know, I was just really expecting Erbe to make huge strides this year. As hard as he throws, along with his good breaking ball and developing change up, if he was able to pitch to his potential, hed be better than Tillman IMO....

Wow, thats pretty strong stuff to say. I know Palmer had the better fastball, I remember Dempsey saying that Palmer's curve wasnt that good, batters swung and missed it because they were expecting the fastball.....How hard did Palmer throw?

Matusz has amazing stuff, and mixing that with his plus command, he is very special.....Strasburg was apparently speaking about Matusz the other night and saying that he should gain a few more MPH as he fills out some more. Imagine how dominant Matusz would be if he topped out around 97-98 MPH.....Its funny how Hernandez is considered a power arm and his fastball tops out only 1 MPH more than Matusz. I guess Matusz's array of offspeed stuff overshadows everything else....

I think a lot of people around here have high hopes for Erbe, and while I'm rooting for the kid, I'm not really on the train. I think he's good and all, don't get me wrong, but the fastball isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be, and he's got some work to do on some more secondary pitches. The more time he misses, the longer it's going to take him. I think Spoone has much better stuff, but again, you never know what a power arm is going to look like after an injury.

I think Hernandez sits higher than Matusz does, I'm pretty sure he sits closer to 94-95 and Matusz can reach back and hit that but for the most part he sits around 91-92. I think DH can hit closer to 97 when he really reaches back, I like his FB a lot.

I think a lot of people around here have high hopes for Erbe, and while I'm rooting for the kid, I'm not really on the train. I think he's good and all, don't get me wrong, but the fastball isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be, and he's got some work to do on some more secondary pitches. The more time he misses, the longer it's going to take him. I think Spoone has much better stuff, but again, you never know what a power arm is going to look like after an injury.

I think Hernandez sits higher than Matusz does, I'm pretty sure he sits closer to 94-95 and Matusz can reach back and hit that but for the most part he sits around 91-92. I think DH can hit closer to 97 when he really reaches back, I like his FB a lot.

Its strange, Ive never sen Hernandez throw harder than 95 though i havent seen him pitch that much yet. It would seem like he could reach back and hit 97, but Ive only seen him sit 94-95, but that was also where he topped out at....

For Erbe, his fastball seems incocnsistent. Ive heard reports when he is fully healthy of him touching mid-upper 90's, then othe rgames hes touching just mid 90's. But with him being that inconcistent, I could understand how people would come off with differne opinions on how hard he throws. For instance last year Tony reported that he wasnt throwing as hard as he had been, then the next thing you know, you hear about Erbe throwing mid-upper 90's again, hes just up and down with the velo....

Guest Sailor Jerry

------

And did you know that doesn't count the four shutout innings he threw at Lynchburg that were then washed out and never made up?

Its strange, Ive never sen Hernandez throw harder than 95 though i havent seen him pitch that much yet. It would seem like he could reach back and hit 97, but Ive only seen him sit 94-95, but that was also where he topped out at....

For Erbe, his fastball seems incocnsistent. Ive heard reports when he is fully healthy of him touching mid-upper 90's, then othe rgames hes touching just mid 90's. But with him being that inconcistent, I could understand how people would come off with differne opinions on how hard he throws. For instance last year Tony reported that he wasnt throwing as hard as he had been, then the next thing you know, you hear about Erbe throwing mid-upper 90's again, hes just up and down with the velo....

I think that upper 90's stuff is urban legend. I mean has anyone here actually seen him hit it? And not on a stadium gun because well...they don't work well. I saw him hit low 90's in HS, and I'd be willing to believe he can reach back and hit mid-90's, but I don't think I believe all this 97-98 mumbo jumbo. Seeing is believing, and I've seen nada so far, although I'm willing to give him time to get healthy before he tries.

Archived