Nats haven't talked to Strassburg yet? Odd or not?

zff4

Nats haven't talked to Strasburg yet. Haven't talked at all. Perhaps its routine. Perhaps its odd. I have no idea. But you'd think a little courtesy discussion, even small-talk regarding how much they look forward to his presence might establish a friendly basis for the future negotiations. Not that negotiations with Boras can ever be typified as "friendly" but it couldn't hurt could it? If you were GM would you do it this way?

Stephen Strasburg Update

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 14 at 4:48pm CST]

Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post says Stephen Strasburg hasn't heard from the Nationals since they drafted him last month. He's received nothing more than a minor league contract offer, which the Nats have to present as a formality. Though Strasburg seemed "a bit perplexed" by the slow pace of negotiations, the Nationals aren't expected to sign the first overall pick and Golden Spikes Award winner this month.

Boswell says the Nats, who are now under the uncertain leadership of an interim GM and an interim manager, can't afford to "poke themselves in the eye" by making an offer that agent Scott Boras refutes publicly. However, they don't want to alienate their top pick by failing to communicate.

My guess is 12 million with an MLB contract and incentives that effectively bump it up to 14. What's your guess?

Nats haven't talked to Strasburg yet. Haven't talked at all. Perhaps its routine. Perhaps its odd. I have no idea. But you'd think a little courtesy discussion, even small-talk regarding how much they look forward to his presence might establish a friendly basis for the future negotiations. Not that negotiations with Boras can ever be typified as "friendly" but it couldn't hurt could it? If you were GM would you do it this way?

Stephen Strasburg Update

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 14 at 4:48pm CST]

Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post says Stephen Strasburg hasn't heard from the Nationals since they drafted him last month. He's received nothing more than a minor league contract offer, which the Nats have to present as a formality. Though Strasburg seemed "a bit perplexed" by the slow pace of negotiations, the Nationals aren't expected to sign the first overall pick and Golden Spikes Award winner this month.

Boswell says the Nats, who are now under the uncertain leadership of an interim GM and an interim manager, can't afford to "poke themselves in the eye" by making an offer that agent Scott Boras refutes publicly. However, they don't want to alienate their top pick by failing to communicate.

My guess is 12 million with an MLB contract and incentives that effectively bump it up to 14. What's your guess?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Nats didn't sign him.

I'm hoping for this.

It's not that I hate the Nats, I really don't care about them either way...I just love seeing them fail over and over.

I agree.

They have screwed up absolutely everything since they have come to Washington, so I don't see why Strasburg will be any different.

I agree.

They have screwed up absolutely everything since they have come to Washington, so I don't see why Strasburg will be any different.

Well, the new stadium is pretty nice. I went earlier this season with a buddy of mine and sat out in the CF bar and drank the whole time. I wish OPACY had a setup as nice as that.

But yeah, everything else has been a failure.

Strasburg isn't going to sign unless he gets stupid money. I hope the Nats don't give him stupid money.

Boras better hope that kid doesn't blow out his arm in Japan or somewhere else before he signs a MLB contract.

I think the Nats have to sign this guy or risk a mob showing up at the Navy Yard metro stop. I don't think they can afford to fail to sign Strasberg.

You overestimate both the number and passion of Nationals fans if you believe that a "mob" of them would show up anywhere.

You overestimate both the number and passion of Nationals fans if you believe that a "mob" of them would show up anywhere.

True. But it would pretty much signal to the remaining fans that the Nats aren't concerned with getting better. Kind of like if the O's failed to sign Wieters.

I think the Nats have to sign this guy or risk a mob showing up at the Navy Yard metro stop. I don't think they can afford to fail to sign Strasberg.
Manny Acta's firing adds a minor dimension to the negotiations in the sense that it makes them that much hungrier for good news and good PR of any nature. I agree the failure to sign Strasburg will be an enormous blow to a club with already dead ticket sales.

The draft and the attendent minor league salaries and 5 year league minimum salary is nothing short of bonded servitude according to Boras. Who will be surprised if Strasburg sits out the season?

Don't the Nats have pretty much all the leverage here? If he doesn't sign' date=' he has to know that they're just going to pick him again next year. Unless he wants to wait two years to get paid, he'd better sign their best offer in the next month.[/quote']

If a team doesn't sign their draftee, they cannot pick him the next year unless he gives them permission.

Archived