Pie and Jones

orioles101

I think it's Jones problem. I think he is into a territorial pissing contest in his own mind. I don't think Pie is trying to show him up, he is just going after the ball as he should. I don't think Jones is calling him off, I think Jones expects Pie to know that the ball is his.

Gosh, I normally don't subscribe to ideas like this without overwhelming evidence, but I really get the feeling you are right on this one. There seems to be some rift between the two, while Pie may be overzealous, firstly I don't think that can be considered a negative attribute on a team that is constantly criticized for unmotivated play, secondly Jones' reactions and noticeable snubs of Pie seem to be unwarranted. Perhaps Felix did or said something to Adam personally, we will probably never know, but it doesn't seem like Pie has a problem getting along with anyone else on the team (IIRC Scott and Pie are pretty close and Scott seems to be a great clubhouse guy), and he doesn't appear to reciprocate the cold behavior that Adam exhibits toward him.

Doesn't really matter to me as long as it doesn't have an effect on their onfield performance, but from what I can see, from a social standpoint, Adam's wrong on this one.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure I understand your logic. So he can turn the clubhouse against pie andpotentially divide it? Doesn't sound like a good plan but maybe you meant it differently.

Completely differently. A leader sits Pie down and teaches him. As the long term CF, it's his outfield, so even though he's a 2nd year player, this is his territory to lay down the law. Jones works as hard as anyone on the team and has a great attitude. Nobody else (minus Huff who's gone) has the personality to be a leader. I'd love to see Jones be that guy and this is an opportunity to manage the situation himself. Or he can be annoyed and do nothing except wait for the coaches to talk to Pie.

Agreed....that was a routine putout for Jones and he still almost collided with Pie. You can hear Jones screaming for the ball out there. On a more difficult "tweener" somebody is going to get hurt. We've seen a collection of bonehead plays by Pie this season. My pet peeve, for a supposed 5 tool guy, he has one stolen base all season. And Pierzinski is awful at throwing out baserunners. Pie wasn't even a concern on first base tonight (three times on first)

Kid had 3 hits and you rag on him because he doesn't try to steal. Ever consider maybe DT doesn't give him the green light to run at will?

Yeah, the lack of steals is definitely not on Pie. It's a combination of his inconsistent playing time* and Trembley's inconsistent running philosophy.

*As Roberts has said, it's all about timing and reading pitchers. How is Pie supposed to develop those skills when he doesn't play for weeks at a time?

Yeah, the lack of steals is definitely not on Pie. It's a combination of his inconsistent playing time* and Trembley's inconsistent running philosophy.

*As Roberts has said, it's all about timing and reading pitchers. How is Pie supposed to develop those skills when he doesn't play for weeks at a time?

Pie's never been a good base stealer. He doesn't get good reads on the pitcher. Somene needs to teach him, and Adam Jones, and Nick as well. Surprising since one of the best at that, plays 2B for this team.:scratchchinhmm:

He meant that possibly stepping up and "straightening out" Pie on this issue might make him more of a clubhouse leader in general, a guy who isn't afraid to take charge of the team's play and morale.

Um, I don't think you want that happening re: territory issues between 2 guys. Hard to tell how much of that would be about how to play right vs. who's top dog. Better to establish leadership about other kinds of situations, one's that aren't overlapped with personal stuff...

In a foot race I'd take Jones and Pie over Roberts, but like El Gordo said, Roberts is the best base stealer on our team. I'd love to see him get involved in helping others on our team, but I've heard that sometimes it's almost an instinct that some are good at, while others always struggle.

In a foot race I'd take Jones and Pie over Roberts, but like El Gordo said, Roberts is the best base stealer on our team. I'd love to see him get involved in helping others on our team, but I've heard that sometimes it's almost an instinct that some are good at, while others always struggle.
People seem to have the misconception that base stealing is about foot speed. It's not, not when 35 YO Bobby Abreu can have more SB than BRob.

Kid had 3 hits and you rag on him because he doesn't try to steal. Ever consider maybe DT doesn't give him the green light to run at will?

He was on 1st three times tonight against a catcher with terrible CS stats. If DT isn't running him it's because he's 1 for 4 on the season and for all his natural speed, he doesn't know how to steal bases. Would you give him the green light to run at will? I wouldn't. I'd like to know an insiders take on how hard Pie is working.....and not just with Crowley. Because he plays like he's still learning the basics of the game sometimes. Either that or he has some attention deficit issues, or isn't trying to learn his craft.

Winning teams play with skill and solid fundamentals. So called "5 tool guys" often seem to end up deficient in skills. And if he doesn't learn how to steal bases, he's just a project that will never pan out. There's a sentiment that Pie is this dynamic talent that might be better long term than Reimold. But Reimold is learning his craft and has 7 stolen bases, despite having less natural speed. And Trembley is talking of running him more. Hell, he almost stole second base tonight on a pitchout and perfect throw by the catcher.

Give me the guy with skills and effort every time over the guy with a world of potential who can't seem to do any one thing right. I don't care that he was on base three times, he still played like an amateur in every other way.

He was on 1st three times tonight against a catcher with terrible CS stats. If DT isn't running him it's because he's 1 for 4 on the season and for all his natural speed, he doesn't know how to steal bases. Would you give him the green light to run at will? I wouldn't. I'd like to know an insiders take on how hard Pie is working.....and not just with Crowley. Because he plays like he's still learning the basics of the game sometimes. Either that or he has some attention deficit issues.

Winning teams play with skill and solid fundamentals. So called "5 tool guys" often seem to end up deficient in skills. And if he doesn't learn how to steal bases, he's just a project that will never pan out. There's a sentiment that Pie is this dynamic talent that might be better long term than Reimold. But Reimold is learning the craft and has 7 stolen bases, despite having less natural speed.

Give me the guy with skills and effort every time over the guy with a world of potential who can't seem to do any one thing right. I don't care that he was on base three times, he still played like an amateur.

Good grief. He's playing better the more we see of him, and you're ragging on him because he's not an accomplished base stealer? I know you don't like the guy but, jeez, fair is fair. If he's fast, he can learn some skills. A slow guy can't learn to be fast.

Archived