Ankiel linked to HgH

DT undercover

It's still cheating...

Greenies were legal when Aarron, Mays and others were taking them...but that doesn't mean they weren't altering their performance.

The whole "it wasn't illegal until xxxx" is a stupid cop out....cheating is cheating is cheating...

Uh, what?

If it's legal then any "performance altering" effects are deemed legal for whatever reason.

That's like saying my coworker is cheating at work because he guzzles coffee like it's going out of style while I never touch the stuff.

Or a better analogy, players that use body armor vs those that don't.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention that Ankiel was still trying to salvage his pitching career at the time, and this wasn't for "performance enhancing." It was for recovery from his injuries, during a period when it was legal in the sport, in a situation when the onus was on the doctor.

Scott, you didn't want to say it, but I will: irresponsible journalism. They are obviously putting a negative spin on the story when they should just be reporting the facts. Let the columnists do that.

Maybe I'm the only one uncomfortable with the idea that anything's ok as long as the player stay "ahead" of the rules? It's not banned (yet) so it's ok to use. Steroids, to HGH to whatever is next... body armor or contacts or whatever new equipment...

Yeah, it may be an outdated notion to expect everyone to compete on a level playing field, but that doesn't mean I have to like being suspicious about a game that I want to sit back and enjoy.

Maybe I'm the only one uncomfortable with the idea that anything's ok as long as the player stay "ahead" of the rules? It's not banned (yet) so it's ok to use. Steroids, to HGH to whatever is next... body armor or contacts or whatever new equipment...

Yeah, it may be an outdated notion to expect everyone to compete on a level playing field, but that doesn't mean I have to like being suspicious about a game that I want to sit back and enjoy.

The problem, though, is that it may have seemed innocuous at the time just like all the Ripped Fuel and andro I was taking did at the time.

You're not alone in wanting to just sit back and enjoy the game. There was a time not long ago that contract terms and player salaries were either unknown or rarely discussed.

Between the drugs and money, sometimes I can't tell if we're still talkin' baseball or recapping an episode of "The Wire."

It's still cheating...

Greenies were legal when Aarron, Mays and others were taking them...but that doesn't mean they weren't altering their performance.

The whole "it wasn't illegal until xxxx" is a stupid cop out....cheating is cheating is cheating...

I don't know... If you use that simplistic of an approach, would we have to say a player guilty of cheating if for example they use PECs (performance enhancing contacts)?

Shouldn't there be a distinction between using something that is illegal and something that is perfectly legal?

"According to records obtained by The News and sources close to the controversy surrounding anti-aging clinics that dispense illegal prescription drugs, Ankiel received eight shipments of HGH from Signature Pharmacy in Orlando from January to December 2004, including the brand-name injectable drugs Saizen and Genotropin. Signature is the pharmacy at the forefront of Albany District Attorney David Soares' two-year investigation into illegal Internet prescription drug sales, which has brought 22 indictments and nine convictions."

Doesn't sound perfectly legal to me. I really don't see much of a difference here besides the length of use, and the intent of the user(getting big vs recovering from injury). Both took HgH before it was banned by MLB, and both got them by illegal means. Sure, Ankiel got a prescription, but from a corupt pharmacy, I highly doubt Ankiel thought this was on the up and up.

And would you disagree that if this was the circumstances with Bonds, the vast majority of people would still be all over him for it?

Where were these people defending Ankiel when the Bonds debates were going on?:confused:

Because...

Bonds favored HGH, according to the excerpt, because it allowed him to stay muscle-bound and maintain his thirst to train while also feeling flexible. It also seemed to improve his eyesight.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/07/MNG90HJF4N22.DTL

That is, of course, if you choose to believe what you hear from Game of Shadows.

Ankiel, on the other hand, was using HGH while recovering from TJ surgery and to salvage his pitching career, assumably. From the looks of that, it doesn't seem like he was using it for its PED capabilities.

It's all in the usage. Bonds used HGH to grow abnormally stronger. It wouldn't surprise me if Ankiel started using it simply because his physician said, "Hey, I've found this perfectly legal drug that'll help you rehab quicker." As Scottie said, not much was known at the time about HGH. I'd say the chances of Ankiel using it to help his recovery along are about a million times that of his chances to make him stronger than before. And I personally can't care if someone only used it, while it was legal, to get back into the game.

"According to records obtained by The News and sources close to the controversy surrounding anti-aging clinics that dispense illegal prescription drugs, Ankiel received eight shipments of HGH from Signature Pharmacy in Orlando from January to December 2004, including the brand-name injectable drugs Saizen and Genotropin. Signature is the pharmacy at the forefront of Albany District Attorney David Soares' two-year investigation into illegal Internet prescription drug sales, which has brought 22 indictments and nine convictions."

Doesn't sound perfectly legal to me. I really don't see much of a difference here besides the length of use, and the intent of the user(getting big vs recovering from injury). Both took HgH before it was banned by MLB, and both got them by illegal means. Sure, Ankiel got a prescription, but from a corupt pharmacy, I highly doubt Ankiel thought this was on the up and up.

And would you disagree that if this was the circumstances with Bonds, the vast majority of people would still be all over him for it?

I'm still not sure if Ankiel had a legitimate doctors prescription why filling that prescription from a pharmacy w/problems makes what he did suspect. Now if the script was obtained illegaly, then that changes the equation.

Anything equivalent that Bonds does is absolutely going to be treated worse. Any time you have someone who acts like he does, the media / fans etc... will relish in trying to bring him down.

Archived