Houston Fires Manager Cooper

olehippi

What did the Wallbangers do to you?.

Are you kidding? I'm an Orioles fan.

The 1982 Brewers ruined Baltimore's incredible comeback on the final day of the regular season. Memorial Stadium kept rocking nonetheless to bid Earl Weaver a tearful farewell, inspiring Howard Cosell to say more nice things about Baltimore that afternoon than he had in his life.

Green was a top prospect but battled alcoholism amid worries about the family he left behind in war torn Nicaragua. I understand he owns a dog grooming business in the St. Louis area these days.

But MR, you really shouldn't have a beef with the Brew Crew. The 1982 World Series was a classic in a --to use a boxing analogy-- "styles make a fight" sort of way. And I know you're fully aware that the Redbirds prevailed in seven behind my all-time favorite Joaquin Andujar's second win of the series, though he didn't get a single MVP vote despite pitching to a 1.35 ERA. I became something of a St. Louis fan during that Fall Classic because I wanted somebody, anybody to knock off those Brewers.

Are you kidding? I'm an Orioles fan.

Didn't realize the O's were in the running in '82. The experience apparently stood them in good stead the next season. :)

But MR, you really shouldn't have a beef with the Brew Crew...

It's not a huge beef, but you always have to ask what the '81 Cards would have been like with Vukevich, Simmons, and Fingers. Templeton would probably have been traded for Ozzie anyhow, given that the trade was spawned by Garry giving Cardinals fans the finger and Ozzie being involved in an acrimonious salary negotiation in San Diego.

I see a little bit of the immature Garry Templeton in Milton Bradley. Unfortunately, Bradley doesn't appear to have the reservoir of character which enabled Templeton to resurrect his career with the Padres. Templeton was only 25 at the time; Bradley is 30 and ought to have grown up by now.

Didn't realize the O's were in the running in '82. The experience apparently stood them in good stead the next season. :)

Oh man, it was a heckuva race.

The Orioles were 8 games out on August 13, but went 35-14 to pull into a tie for the division lead entering the season's final day.

Even more dramatically, the dividsion leading Brewers came to Baltimore for the final four games sporting a three-game lead. After the Orioles won three straight (by a combined 26-7 score) to draw even, Hall of Famers Jim Palmer and Don Sutton matched up to decide the AL East.

Many thought Palmer was washed up in when he finished the first week of June 3-3 with a 5.40 ERA, but he won 12 of his next 13 to lead Baltimore's charge. Another Hall of Famer, Robin Yount, hit two homers off him that fateful last day though, and Cecil Cooper added one as well. Ben Oglivie made a back-breaking catch to end an Orioles rally in the bottom of the eighth, and the game got out of hand in the ninth to drive a lot of O's fans to tears.

The Angels, featuring a bunch of ex-Orioles blew a 2-0 lead in a best-of-five series, but Joaquin and the Cardinals got the job done.

Archived