Draft Chat - Rounds 1-5

bigbird

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JMHO- If baseball wants this to be a big thing like football and basketball then they need to slow it down just a bit. Not as much as football but geesh that whole first was like a whirl wind. Here we go ok1,2,3,4,5...9..22...30 end of first ahhhhh.:eek:

Part of the reason NFL and NBA drafts are more deliberate is because of the trading that goes on during both of those drafts. Teams will wait and consider trade proposals before making their pick. Since, by rule, there is no trading in the baseball draft, teams basically just have to look at their board and pick their top guy available.........that shouldn't take long.

I think webcasting the Draft Live is a good move for MLB. It definately has made me mor einteresting, I hope for future drafts they slow it down maybe another minute between picks and add some organization to the draft and a little flash and glitz as well.

I agree... I'd love to see the NFL draft (my real passion) go faster... I know they have trades to deal with but it shouldn't take 15 min. to figure things out. 10 min should be plenty.

Not for my Vikings. They seem to need 16 or 17 minutes. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I disagree Mayo is one of the reasons the Orioles have not hit well.  Emmanuel Rivera, who has hit well with an .879 OPS since he joined the O's, has gotten the playing time over Mayo.  
    • I was sort taking that as a fait accompli. Signing expensive long-term free agent deals for one dimensional sluggers heading into their 30s definitely does not seem like Elias's style, especially when an extra high draft pick (and accompanying extra bonus pool money) is the reward for not doing so.
    • Game 153, Sept. 19 Lots of notable defensive plays today.   Kjerstad made two excellent catches, one going back and towards the RCF alley that (per Kevin Brown) was a 50% probability catch, and another going back to the wall near the corner and making the catch at close to full speed.   Holliday snared a line drive at the top of his leap, and also made a nice backhand running catch of a soft fly into medium RF. Mullins made a diving catch in the 7th on a sinking liner that he got a great jump on.   In the 9th, with runners on 1st and 2nd, Heliot hit a liner in the RCF gap that carried much further than it first appeared it would.   Mullins and Slater dove for it simultaneously and Slater actually gloved it for a second before it popped out while Slater landed on Mullins.  Luckily, the two base runners totally misread the play, and after Slater quickly scrambled to his feet and threw the ball in, the runner originally on 2B scored but the runner on 1st only advanced to 2B, and the batter had to stop at first.  The O’s were able to keep any further runs from scoring. One thing I’ve noticed about Manny Rivera is that he’s very slow charging bunts and slow rollers/choppers. He handled one bunt and one chopper in front of him today and both times the runner beat his throw rather easily, something that has happened a lot when Rivera has manned 3B.   I’m more than ready to have Urias -and/or Westburg back at the hot corner.    
    • Don’t know what happened to him on here but I did meet him and some others from The Sun forums at the park on Matt Wieters first game as an Oriole. If I recall correctly his name was Patrick.  He seemed like a good dude but he did have his face painted and was wearing those big hulk hands…which did strike me as a little odd for a grown man but to each his own. 
    • ….as long as it’s not us 
    • Is it just me or did they sound the HR / walk-off siren before the ball actually went out? 
  • Popular Contributors