Schmuck Chimes in on O's Offseason

Hank Scorpio

He's been pretty cryptic. I'd like him to say exactly what kind of bat he was looking for just so he didn't get anybody's hopes up. Trembley's said they want a middle of the order bat, but MacPhail has been non-specific.

Saying the Orioles are going to be "bat shoppers," is really vague. A "bat" could mean Matt Holliday or it could mean Hank Blalock.

Everyone keeps saying "bat" singular. But what precludes them from signing both Glaus and Blalock to play the corners for a year plus an option? Sure - you may not get the sure thing #4 hitter - but you make your lineup very strong if they do have decent years...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the safe route. You've got to admit MacPhail is going to have to work some magic to get an impact bat via trade without trading any of the core players.

I don't think he can do it, as that kind of thinking simply isn't realistic. It's a lot harder to deal for star player than to try to trade a star player. He's going to have to give up some pieces that he probably would rather keep to get the kind of talent that we need via trade.

MacPhail is either going to have to spend some major cash or trade off some of our young talent. Otherwise we are just going to keep on treading water.

McPhail's comments earlier about guys coming available unexpectedly leads me to believe one thing: that he's already had discussions with teams about possible salary dumps.

Now, whether the other clubs decide to pull the trigger OR whether another suitor makes a better offer than us is still TBD. However, AM's comments were so pointed that you have to believe that he wasn't just guessing. Besides, this is a guy who constantly tries to manage expectations. He wouldn't say something like this unless he had a reasonable belief that it would come to fruition.

I agree, I want Pie to start as much as possible, and unless AM went out and got really good solutions at both 1B and DH, or of course add Holliday or Bay, I don't see why Pie wouldn't get to play a lot.

I would be happy with Johnson at first and Beltre at 3rd though, good stopgags, both with potential to become valuable trade pieces or be turned into picks.

Good defense as well..obviously that will help the young staff.

On behalf of Adrian Beltre, I DEMAND you retract that extremely insulting and demeaning comparison :D

Seriously though, you must DESPISE him to compare him to the worst everyday player in the sport.

Well I hate Beltre cause I think he's a slacker. I don't think he hustles. I think he beasted out for one year to get a fat contract.

I just hate the name Yuniesky Betancourt, it's like nails on a chalkboard. It makes me cringe. Not really comparing the two, just naming the other person that I'd hate to acquire.

Well I hate Beltre cause I think he's a slacker. I don't think he hustles. I think he beasted out for one year to get a fat contract.

I just hate the name Yuniesky Betancourt, it's like nails on a chalkboard. It makes me cringe. Not really comparing the two, just naming the other person that I'd hate to acquire.

This is money, right here!

Sounds like the name of a Russian couples ice-skater or something!

Go get Beltre or Glaus and Delgado or Nick Johnson.

Sign Harden to 2/18 deal with incentives.

Go get Hardy, using Guthrie as main piece.

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado/Johnson

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Beltre/Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

Going into the season, the plan is to play Reimold in LF 70% of the time against lefties and anytime you want to rest Nick(Nolan goes to RF) or Jones(pie to CF) and when Pie needs a day off, even against a righty.

Matusz, Harden, BB, Tillman and Arrieta.

Koji, DH, JJ, Hendrickson, Mickolio...Open competition between Meredith, Albers, Ray, Perez and Berken for the final 2 spots.

That's actually a pretty good team if Harden and the corner guys stay healthy and perform well.

It's the safe route. You've got to admit MacPhail is going to have to work some magic to get an impact bat via trade without trading any of the core players.

I don't think he can do it, as that kind of thinking simply isn't realistic. It's a lot harder to deal for star player than to try to trade a star player. He's going to have to give up some pieces that he probably would rather keep to get the kind of talent that we need via trade.

MacPhail is either going to have to spend some major cash or trade off some of our young talent. Otherwise we are just going to keep on treading water.

The funny thing is that the title of "Impact Bat" is often decided by the year the guy has after you signed him. If we sign Delgado and he comes in and hits 35 bombs then we found an impact bat. We just didn't find a long term impact bat like people on this board covet. I had been against signing players that add to our strength, but I suppose I would make a push for Holliday as our middle of the order bat. We then could deal two of Reimold, Scott, or Pie and try to solve another part of the puzzle.

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado/Johnson

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Beltre/Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

Going into the season, the plan is to play Reimold in LF 70% of the time against lefties and anytime you want to rest Nick(Nolan goes to RF) or Jones(pie to CF) and when Pie needs a day off, even against a righty.

Koji, DH, JJ, Hendrickson, Mickolio...Open competition between Meredith, Albers, Ray, Perez and Berken for the final 2 spots.

That's actually a pretty good team if Harden and the corner guys stay healthy and perform well.

That is a solid 2010 team that should finish pretty close to .500 if they under perform. I would sign an above average bullpen arm and let Ray, Albers, Meredith, Perez, and Berken battle for one spot. Would you do Guthrie + Scott for Hardy? I think there is some risk involved with Hardy and I am not as high on him as others, but I am not really high on Scott and I would rather gamble with a guy like Guthrie than a guy like Erbe.

That is a solid 2010 team that should finish pretty close to .500 if they under perform. I would sign an above average bullpen arm and let Ray, Albers, Meredith, Perez, and Berken battle for one spot. Would you do Guthrie + Scott for Hardy? I think there is some risk involved with Hardy and I am not as high on him as others, but I am not really high on Scott and I would rather gamble with a guy like Guthrie than a guy like Erbe.

Milwaukee has no use for Scott...Braun and Hart on the corners.

I agree. That guy gets his pay and then you can forget about it. If you all were frustrated by our last catcher then you will love Beltre. My 9 year old has a better work ethic than that guy. He is the classic example of a guy who has all the tools to be an All Star only to be slightly above average in a way that gets him paid. I'd rather give the job to Bell outright than to sign Beltre. If they were to sign Beltre it had better be a one year deal in the $6 Million range plus another $3-$4 Million in incentives.

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado/Johnson

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Beltre/Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

I love this plan but with these guys narrowed down.

Harden 2/18 incentives

Glaus

Guthrie + for Hardy

Delgado

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

Where is Luke Scott? I like the potential of that team though. It reminds me of the 2004 start but younger and better pitchers to back them up. Hopefully they won't fall apart though :)

Harden 2/18 incentives

Glaus

Guthrie + for Hardy

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

Where is Luke Scott? I like the potential of that team though. It reminds me of the 2004 start but younger and better pitchers to back them up. Hopefully they won't fall apart though :)

Scott dealt...Perhaps for a BP arm or just some prospects.

Harden 2/18 incentives

Glaus

Guthrie + for Hardy

C- Wieters

1st- Delgado

2nd- BRob

SS- Hardy

3rd- Glaus

LF- Pie

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Reimold

Do you think Glaus would be a better offensive force than Bell? I am ok with whomever because our young pitchers will likely have an up and down year. That team would have the potential to win the division in 2 or 3 of the 6 divisions in the game.

Archived