Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I was on myspace and this was on my front page.

"is happy 4 my lil bro Adam Jones; He just found out he won the Golden Glove 4 his Baseball Team, the Baltimore Orioles"

http://www.myspace.com/picolemon

Anyone else see anything about it? Sweet news if true.

Ah, but the award is the Gold Glove, not the Golden Glove-- that's a boxing tournament.

Maybe Adam actually entered a boxing tournament, and this guy got mixed up. :P

Tori Hunter has won the GG the past 7 years, Ichiro the past 8 along with Sizemore last 2 years, Vernan Wells 3 years before that, and Mike Cameran before that. I think it's safe to say they were all pretty good OF, if not the absolute best. Jones wasn't in their class this year.

Jones wasn't even the best defensive centerfielder on the team this year. If he does, great, congratulations, but he didn't measure up defensively to last year.

So far, you're the only person to type the word "congratulations".

All else aside, let me conditionally be the second.

This would be the first decade since the 1950's that the O's didn't have at least one Gold Glove winner, but this report indicates the Birds may escape that dubious distinction.

This would be the first decade since the 1950's that the O's didn't have at least one Gold Glove winner, but this report indicates the Birds may escape that dubious distinction.

:agree:

I know the last few days have been a bit depressing with the yanks taking the WS and all, so I say let's just be happy for Jones (assuming this speculation proves to be true). Everyone knows that the GG award is subjective--why belabor the point just to highlight Jones' "downyear" in CF? Regardless of your feelings about the award or his defense, if in fact he did win the GG, it should be something for us to be happy about. A tentative congratulations to you Adam!

Wow, I hadn't realized we'd been shut out for a decade. Truth is, we haven't deserved too many, either. But Mike Bordick definitely deserved the Gold Glove in 2002, when he made one error all season and set the major league record for most consecutive errorless games at SS. His range numbers and other stats also were better than A-Rod's (who won the award).

I will congratulate Jones if and when it is announced that he won. But it is not deserved.

If Jones wins the GG the voters must have gotten there impressions off sports center high lights . In an average week jones misplayed 3-4 balls it seemed to me he's the worst defenseive center fielder the o's have had in a long time IMO.Jones is much better suited for a corner OF spot.

This is just how it works. Gold Gloves are never (if you're cynical) actually awarded for the year, but reputation, and Jones' reputation as a defender is much greater than his performance, at least to those who haven't been watching him every day (ie every other ML manager). If he got it, then he simply won the game. I hope he gets his defense back to where it used to be and starts to deserve it.

Archived