Mlbtraderumors.com predicts Delgado to the O's

wildcard

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's phase two time for the Orioles. I don't see the top tier free agents signing here regardless of how much money we throw at them. Other, currently more competitive teams, will throw just as much money at them. It's time for the Oriles to take a risk on someone like Delgado, Glaus or even Thome. Getting Delgada for a one year incentive laden deal would be similar to what the A's did with Frank Thomas a few years ago. The worst that could happen is that he holds a spot in the lineup for Snyder until June. On the other hand he could provide the thirty dingers in the middle of the line-up that the O's need to contend for a playoff spot.

It's phase two time for the Orioles. I don't see the top tier free agents signing here regardless of how much money we throw at them. Other, currently more competitive teams, will throw just as much money at them. It's time for the Oriles to take a risk on someone like Delgado, Glaus or even Thome. Getting Delgada for a one year incentive laden deal would be similar to what the A's did with Frank Thomas a few years ago. The worst that could happen is that he holds a spot in the lineup for Snyder until June. On the other hand he could provide the thirty dingers in the middle of the line-up that the O's need to contend for a playoff spot.

Same old same old.... The problem this team had is wasting money on 2nd & 3rd tier guys. The Yankees added CC, Burnett, & Tex while we added Wiggington & Hill.

This season .... per the list they add Lackey. The Sox add Bay , Scutaro, & Harden....while we add Delgado.

I know this is just speculation but if Wins really matter in 2010 we'd lose ground on the above scenario.

Playoffs? Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Did you say...PLAYOFFS??!! :eek:

Playoffs? Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? Did you say...PLAYOFFS??!! :eek:

Didn't Frank Thomas help a young Oakland A's team to the playoffs? Why not us? Certainly we would need to get more than Delgado but it would be a good start to the off season.

I think the O's success depends on their young players. They hold the hope for the O's competing for a playoff spot. Delgado just fills a hole for a while and takes some pressure off some of the kids. He has 30 homer potential. He can bat 4th or 5th and add a presence that Scott does not have. He is an average fielder at 1B while is more then can be said for Scott.

Adding Wood and Sanchez increases that long term infield inventory. This is similar to what MacPhail has done in the outfield and pitching.

Lyon adds someone the can close, not that he necessarily will. I think Uehara gets first shot at closing. Mickolio may be a the closer of the future. And who know what Ray may do in time. Lyon just adds depth to the late and middle inning relief core and if Uehara goes out with a injury in April, Lyon can close.

Bottom line for me is the Delgado should not be seen as a savior. This team will go as far as its young takes it. A healthy Delgado just add stability for a year or two.

Same old same old.... The problem this team had is wasting money on 2nd & 3rd tier guys. The Yankees added CC, Burnett, & Tex while we added Wiggington & Hill.

This season .... per the list they add Lackey. The Sox add Bay , Scutaro, & Harden....while we add Delgado.

I know this is just speculation but if Wins really matter in 2010 we'd lose ground on the above scenario.

It's a risk. No top tier free agent is going to sign with a team that almost lost 100 games. It didn't happen last year and it won't happen this year.

We need pitching... without adding soem pitching, adding Delgado isn't going to make much difference.

Other then a late inning reliever I think the O's need to stay the course with their young pitchers. Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Arrieta, Hernandez and Berken need to get their innings . It will be hard to get a better starter then Guthrie for price. With Erbe, Britton and Johnson coming in a year of so there is enough depth for now.

I think the O's success depends on their young players. They hold the hope for the O's competing for a playoff spot. Delgado just fills a hole for a while and take some pressure off some of the kids. He has 30 homer potential. He can bat 4th or 5th and add a presence that Scott does not have. He is an average fielder at 1B while is more then can be said for Scott.

Adding Wood and Sanchez increases that long term infield inventory. This is similar to what MacPhail has done in the outfield and pitching.

Lyon add someone the can close, not that he necessarily will. I think Uehara gets first shot at closing. Mickolio may be a the closer of the future. And who know what Ray may do in time. Lyon just add depth to the late and middle inning relief core and if Uehara go out with a injury in April, Lyon can close.

Bottom line for me is the Delgado should not be seen as a savior. This team will go as far as its young takes it. A healthy Delgado just add stability for a year or two.[/QU

Succes for the Orioles next year is entirely dependent on the continued growth and success of their young starting rotation, regardless of who they get in free agency. Delgado could be an improtant piece in pushing the O's over the top. Certainly, he is not the only move the O's should make but he is a key move IMO.

Picking up Delgado would fit into MacPhail's plan because it provides a one-year stopgap to get to Snyder. Signing Delgado would allow the Orioles to trade Luke Scott and platoon Reimold and Delgado at DH while platooning Pie and Reimold in LF. It leaves the everyday first base role open but Delgado is a known quantity, especially when he is healthy.
How would that work? Delgado's a LH bat and his numbers against LH SP are not particularly great.

43. Carlos Delgado - Orioles. In Delgado, the Orioles could add a possible 30-home run bat with little risk. And Delgado could benefit from some time at DH.

Those three little words are music to MacPhail's ears. He loves those guys that are cheap mediocre options that might overachieve.

If Delgado is our "big bat," it will be just more of the same with MacPhail and the Orioles will continue to tread water and look up at the rest of the division while it improves.

Those three little words are music to MacPhail's ears. He loves those guys that are cheap mediocre options that might overachieve.

If Delgado is our "big bat," it will be just more of the same with MacPhail and the Orioles will continue to tread water and look up at the rest of the division while it improves.

Wieters, Jones, Reimold, Pie, Matusz, Tillman, Bergy, Arrieta, Hernandez's improve have alot more to do with how the O's will progress then who they sign this off season. Delgado will play a supporting role if he signs. The kids will make the big difference.

Archived