Mlbtraderumors.com predicts Delgado to the O's

wildcard

Ty Wigginton cost the Orioles in terms of value 1.5 million extra than his contract last season. I hardly call a signing like that a sound investment.

It's bizarre that a small, short-term investment in a player that didn't quite work out for one year is being held up as a reason to take a much, much, much bigger risk on a very expensive, long-term contract for someone else.

If you spend a few million on a 2 win player like Wigginton and he gives you half a win, big deal. If you spend $130M on Matt Holliday and he turns into Shawn Green or Vernon Wells or Alfonso Soriano your franchise is pretty much cooked.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And we've seen how fast he moves and what talent is available.

And you are counting this offseason, which if we don't do anything major, is automatically ruled out, which gives him the season and next offseason.

To expect 20 WAR added in that period of time given who MacPhail is just simply unrealistic IMO. The man simply doesn't make that many moves in that time span. It would be a huge change from his MO.

A 20 WAR improvement will come from what we already have...If what we have doesn't improve, it doesn't matter what premium bat you bring in.

The fact that you don't get that shows how much you don't understand this stuff.

There are always guys that are available. Saying it must be done this offseason is wrong.

Here is what should be accomplished this offseason:

1) Sign 1 or 2 stop gap guys with high upside..Like Glaus and Delgado.

2) Obtain a solid starter...Would prefer Harden but there are many options.

3) Move Scott...Would like to move Guthrie as well.

4) Obtain a long term answer at SS.

No reason why AM can't do those things...Doing that would be a successful offseason.

I'll be happy if we sign Delgado. It's nothing huge but it allows Snyder some more time in the minors. This should also let the team trade Luke Scott and get some more pieces together.

Hopefully Delgado stays healthy so we can trade him during the season, after Snyder is up.

I no longer feel that statement I made is true or at least there are more unknowns.

I will modify it and say if all those players develop on the curve they should next season, that OPS would be about right.

Signing more offensive help would only help those players stay on or move above those curves IMO and ensure the Orioles are where they need to be for 2011 in case some of those players drop off those curves. Delgado can help, but he can't be depended on as the primary source of help IMO.

Your idea as far I am able to understand it, is to trade promising young SP for big bats, and replace the young SP by buying it through FA, The "reasoning"(?)here being, that young SP can't be counted on, but big bats and FA SP can. The questions I have are: why do you think FA SP can be trusted more than a strong inventory of young SP, and how can you expect the big bats and FA SP to be in any way cost efficient. If the O's had a $200 mil budget perhaps that would work, but the whole idea of AM's plan, is not to compete with the MFY's by trying to be the MFY's.

Then STOP repeating yourself. We get it. You think the O's need to do something big this off-season. Andy MacPhail needs to pursue "premium talent." We get it. This title of this thread is specific: Carlos Delgado. Stop hijacking threads by diverting the conversation into your personal soapbox. STOP.

Thank you!!!

And you do? What makes your ideas right and mine wrong?

I'm saying Delgado can't be our "big bat"

When you have guys like Jason Bay and Matt Holliday in the FA market as well as plenty of options via trade, if a 38 year old Delgado is our major offensive acquisition, we won't be making much of an improvement next year IMO.

I have no problem adding Delgado as a supplemental piece, but he simply can't be the major offensive acquisition if we want to compete in 2011. Not with the opportunity that MacPhail will have this offseason to augment the offense.

I'm gonna go with "reason."

The goal is to win games, not to flip guys for more prospects. We are past that stage, or so MacPhail tells us. If we are flipping Delgado, it will mean that we are in the midst of another losing season. Delgado can always move to DH if we are winning games and he is performing well if Brandon Snyder shows he belongs in MLB.

Yeah guys. Don't you know we're in phase 2 now? You know, that's the phase where you take ALL the young talent you just aquired over the past TWO years, and you trade it all for AGon who will be a free agent before the Orioles are ready to contend. That's Phase 2...in at least one poster's mind.

As for Delgado, trading him at the deadline doe snot neccessarily mean we are having another losing season. It could mean that Snyder has foced his way onto the club, Pie has established himself in left field, and Reimold is knocking the cover off the ball at DH. Stop thinking so negatively all the time. And stop thinking that unless we get THE guy who you want, then its a failure!

Then STOP repeating yourself. We get it. You think the O's need to do something big this off-season. Andy MacPhail needs to pursue "premium talent." We get it. This title of this thread is specific: Carlos Delgado. Stop hijacking threads by diverting the conversation into your personal soapbox. STOP.

There it is....

...and down the hatch we gooooooooooooooooooooo! :new_beer:

I would give you rep points, but it's not working at the moment.

I'll be happy if we sign Delgado. It's nothing huge but it allows Snyder some more time in the minors. This should also let the team trade Luke Scott and get some more pieces together.

Hopefully Delgado stays healthy so we can trade him during the season, after Snyder is up.

This is what you do. Continue the rebuild. This organization can never have enough pieces, continue making these type of moves ala Sherrill & Huff,

2 questions:

1) Is there potential for Holliday to underachieve?

2) What is your new revised combined OPS for Markakis, Jones, Pie, Reimold, Wieters and BRob?

1. There is a potential of course, but Holliday is more proven than our core. None of those players you have listed profile as a #4 hitter. Holliday has filled that spot successfully, on playoff teams.

I think the downside is looking at what he did in Oakland, but even there he had an .860+ OPS as a #4 hitter and the one poor month in April kind of skews his performance as an Athletic. So while he may be overpaid, you still have an .850+ OPS in the cleanup spot. That's not much of a downside if you ask me. It's not like the guy is going to turn into Vernon Wells IMO. As I've said I think he'll be worth about 25 WAR during his 6 year contract.

Roberts - 625 AB (.775-.825)

Markakis - 625 AB (.800-.900)

Wieters - 550 AB (.750-.850)

Jones - 600 AB (.750-.850)

Reimold - 525 AB (.775 -.850)

Pie - 300 AB (.725-.775)

Weighted avg low side: .766 OPS

Weighted avg high side: .842 OPS

Mean: .804 OPS

Given those #'s I'd say the most likely scenario without good (premium) offensive support is on the low side .775-.790 OPS

Archived