Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Solid move for the O's if this is finalized.

"Great", "terrific", "excellent", and "fantastic" are all adjectives that are grossly overstating how good this trade is, but it is a solid move that should fill a hole reliably. But let's not make this into some amazing deal, we're getting a below average starter for $12M for essentially nothing in return (Ray is very replaceable and may have been non-tendered anyway). This is a solid move to find a guy who should be able to eat innings and have an ERA in the 4.75-5.00 range. If he gets lucky again, he can improve upon those numbers, but his performance probably won't merit any numbers better than that without some nice breaks (like repeating last year's 280ish BABIP and 75% LOB%).

I think Millwood is probably a solidly average to slightly below MLB starter. I'll repeat that his previous two FIPs and xFIPs pointed to 4.20-4.80 ERAs.

I like Chris Ray, always have, and I still like him even though it looks like he's going to Texas. But he's been passed by others in the organization, and even though last year was his first year back from major arm surgery, it doesn't seem like it was going to work anymore. His name hasn't been mentioned much at all in the discussion for closer, and he's still got to prove he's fully recovered. Maybe a change of scenary will do him well. I like the guy and will still root for him, and maybe he comes close to regaining his form and becomes an effective reliever again, and maybe he doesn't. Good luck Chris, your 2006 season was one of the finest by an Orioles reliever, certainly in the last 12 seasons at least.

Millwood isn't the best we can do, but given what starters are asking for and getting on the open market, the fact that the Rangers were willing to eat part of the contract, it didn't take too much, thankfully, to get him, and it's only for one year I can dig it. He's got the experience pitching in the AL, and if he sticks to his career path he'll eat innings, something our staff has been poor at for some time, and take some stress off the young guys and the pen.

All in all a good move for the Orioles.

Solid move for the O's if this is finalized.

"Great", "terrific", "excellent", and "fantastic" are all adjectives that are grossly overstating how good this trade is, but it is a solid move that should fill a hole reliably. But let's not make this into some amazing deal, we're getting a below average starter for $12M for essentially nothing in return (Ray is very replaceable and may have been non-tendered anyway). This is a solid move to find a guy who should be able to eat innings and have an ERA in the 4.75-5.00 range. If he gets lucky again, he can improve upon those numbers, but his performance probably won't merit any numbers better than that without some nice breaks (like repeating last year's 280ish BABIP and 75% LOB%).

I don't agree. AM just improved an area of weakness by dealing a weakness. Pretty fancy footwork there by him.

This is a good deal assuming it is "just" Ray being traded.

I agree with what most others have said that while Millwood himself is nothing to be too excited about, it is still a solid move. The O's will have added another starter which they needed to do, only be under a one year commitment, and didn't have to give up much in the process. The best case scenario is they flip Millwood next season for a solid return (or this makes the Orioles feel more comfortable in dealing Guthrie during the season if the interest is there). The worst case scenario is you lose a guy who might be non-tendered anyway and some money if Millwood bombs.

It would also be nice to get this out of the way early on so at least one offseason need will be taken care of and other positions of need can be addressed.

I don't agree. AM just improved an area of weakness by dealing a weakness. Pretty fancy footwork there by him.
Its a good move, I already said that.

Its just not a fantastic move, IMO. A fantastic move was the Bedard trade. If Millwood was a fantastic move, then what is the Bedard trade? Its a solid move that fills a hole while not giving up. MacPhail is rightfully taking advantage of our payroll flexibility to get a pitcher for a 1-year commitment that is probably better than any of the guys who would accept a 1-year deal on the FA market. I know its just a semantical argument, but I don't like seeing these extrmely lofty adjectives getting thrown around describing us getting an aging, declining, expensive starter.

Alex Trebek: The answer is:

Some would refuse to believe this but I have a lot of confidence in MacPhail when it comes to making trades.
This is a fantastic deal for the Orioles.

Me: The question is: What are 2 thngs I never thought I would see on the OH today!!!!:D:laughlol:

This a good deal for the O's. Throw Millwood out there every fifth day and let him eat as many innings as possible. He will give us solid outtings without having to worry about him throwing too manys etc. He will keep us in most games unlike most of the stop gaps we have had before. Who knows, perhaps he is the reincarnate of Rick Sutcliffe.

Archived