Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after becoming disgusted with that Purple Penalty fest on monday night- at least one of our sports teams has something to be happy about today. I' like this move a lot. Straight shot to address one of our key needs. Now- lets get a middle of the order bat.

I think a more intriguing question is, if the OD rotation is a combination of Millwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, Matusz & Tillman and everyone is healthy at the All-Star Break, how do you make room for Bedard? Would you send someone (Tillman?) back to Norfolk? Would you force a trade of Millwood or Guthrie?

Um, I guess that is partially what I was implying. First it takes pressure off of Bedard to return too quickly and if it goes well it gives you flexibility to move Millwood or Guthrie or fill in for one of the young guys if they are pitching poorly.

I think a more intriguing question is, if the OD rotation is a combination of Millwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, Matusz & Tillman and everyone is healthy at the All-Star Break, how do you make room for Bedard? Would you send someone (Tillman?) back to Norfolk? Would you force a trade of Millwood or Guthrie?

Don't forget about Arrieta, but agree that is a GREAT problem to have. Too many pitching options means, maybe, just maybe we have a full rotation for September. Could you imagine having a real major league rotation in September, when was the last time that happened in Baltimore?

I think a trade of Millwood or Guthrie would make a lot of sense if theres interest. If a deal couldn't be worked out, maybe Guthrie to a long relief role? It would be a nice problem to have.

Agreed. It would be one of those good problems. I think if a trade couldn't be found for Millwood or Guthrie, I'd send Tillman back to Norfolk until a trade could be found. If Tillman is dominating and that's not an option, I'd seriously consider using a 6 man rotation, again, until a trade can be found.

Make sit even better.

Millwood is pretty likely to be worth at least the $9M we'll be paying him if he can stay healthy all season. I don't know if we could have found someone better than him for a 1/$9M deal on the FA market. I prefer him to Garland.

Well, $3M was my number so I certainly agree with this.

Don't forget about Arrieta, but agree that is a GREAT problem to have. Too many pitching options means, maybe, just maybe we have a full rotation for September. Could you imagine having a real major league rotation in September, when was the last time that happened in Baltimore?

Agreed, having too many pitchers is not a bad thing to have.

Agreed. What's not to like about this deal.

$9M reasons to not like this deal. Look at what is on the market that could be had for $9M or less, that is not 35 and barely mid-rotation. Then, you add Chris Ray to this preposterous and almost comical move.

$9M reasons to not like this deal. Look at what is on the market that could be had for $9M or less, that is not 35 and barely mid-rotation. Then, you add Chris Ray to this preposterous and almost comical move.

Well, aren't you in the minority.

Don't you know who Kam Mickolio is????

There is probably no one better than Millwood on the market who would sign with a non-contending Orioles team for 1/9M.

Really - who are you talking about that is a reliable a starter as Millwood? Please explain who could be had for less than 9 million dollars that is better than Millwood and NOT a huge injury risk?

Yet you wanted to trade Matusz or Tillman for Vazquez. Mindblowing.

You're not finding anyone on the FA market that is better than Millwood for less than $9M guaranteed.

Archived